Another newbie question - how often should I rewick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Everyone has different preference, some people rewick when changing flavors, others just run the flavor through the wick until it takes over (something like mint or cinnamon would not be good for this method), you can inspect your wick to see if it's looking clogged or burnt, and usually flavors will change once a wick needs to be changed, so it can be done then, as well.

I think you'll have to experiment a bit and find your own preferences on that. But, if your wick is looking very brown or burnt, it's probably a good idea to rewick then, for sure. :)

Have fun!

Anna

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
Everyone has different preference, some people rewick when changing flavors, others just run the flavor through the wick until it takes over (something like mint or cinnamon would not be good for this method), you can inspect your wick to see if it's looking clogged or burnt, and usually flavors will change once a wick needs to be changed, so it can be done then, as well.

I think you'll have to experiment a bit and find your own preferences on that. But, if your wick is looking very brown or burnt, it's probably a good idea to rewick then, for sure. :)

Have fun!

Anna
Good stuff! Thanks!

I'm noticing that wicks can hold A LOT of juice too. It's like this sweet spot between too tight and too loose.

If it's too loose, it doesn't appear to hold much juice or keep the coil saturated. Same if it's too tight.

Does that seem about right?

I'm trying to find these sorts of sweet spots so that when I do "a thing," I know why I am doing it.

Another example is wattage. Too low and one can't taste the juice at all. Too high and it tastes burnt.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I pretty much agree with what stols001 said. :thumb:

The type of wick material plays a part also. Cotton doesn't seem to perform as long as Rayon (which I prefer). You generally need to use more Rayon than you would cotton. I don't get that "new cotton" taste with Rayon. I haven't used material like cotton bacon or the like so I'll refrain from comparisons with those.

I tend to replace my wick about every 3 days ... when the material appears "shrunken" or compressed, has a decrease in flavor or vapor, etc.

Heck, I've known vapers who make a new coil & wick every day, so just go with what suits you best.

doghair

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Phoenix
I find the juice itself dictates mine. If I make juice with clear flavoring like a fruit it lasts longer before needing a new wick job, like up to a week. If I make some of my dark chocolate mud special I'll be lucky to get 10ml through it. The short answer is 'you will know'.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Today_Was_A_Good_Day.jpg

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Cotton is usually every few days. Rayon can go much longer, I can get a couple weeks before noticing a loss of performance but its the coil that gunks before the rayon poops out. I DIY juice so there's a huge difference between DIY and commercial juices when it comes to wick longevity. Learn to thin the tails of your build rather than cutting the bulk off especially with wide ID coil builds. Use pointy tweezers and brush through the tail removing fluff and bulk, it'll increase juice flow to the coil in both cotton and rayon. I've been using rayon for over a couple years now and will never use anything else again.
All I can say is that cotton and rayon may sound the same but they are totally opposite in how they are applied in a coil build. A properly wicked rayon build and you'll never vape cotton again

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think I just properly wicked my Siren V2 with rayon.... Really full in the coil, tails thinned out, and so far, the vape is fantastic, and no seepage or leakage. I cannot emphasize enough stuffing that coil as full as you can get it... I have had a tendency to under-wick, and the vape works great for an hour or so, and then I get seepage as the wick gets saturated. So far, so excellent, and I have not seen a drop of juice anywhere. I love rayon-- it doesn't taste like cotton, and it does last far longer.

Going to the Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2, you can learn all the properties of rayon, if you are interested. I really like it but I like to do as little work as possible. I'm hoping this is my first more than optimistic build, but it is wicking fantastically so I am crossing my fingers.... :)

Anna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Really full in the coil, tails thinned out, and so far, the vape is fantastic, and no seepage or leakage. I cannot emphasize enough stuffing that coil as full as you can get it..Anna
Having the rayon almost coil distorting tight is the trick to rayon, the thinning of the tails to control the bulk is a given. Since rayon settles(doesn't shrink) in the coil once its juiced its real easy to "understuff" the coil. Too much rayon bulk in the tails will choke juice flow to the coil and can cause leaking trying to stuff massive amounts of tail into a juice well or channel that simply doesn't all fit. The other trick to rayon is having the tails nice and straight so shortest route to the coil, it doesn't wick as good using the rabbit ears then stuffing into the chimney having a mish-mash of fiber. Cotton flows inside the fiber so it really doesn't matter how the fibers lay. Rayon flows outside the fiber so having a mish-mash of every which way fibers and juice can't efficiently flow to the coil.

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
Cotton is usually every few days. Rayon can go much longer, I can get a couple weeks before noticing a loss of performance but its the coil that gunks before the rayon poops out. I DIY juice so there's a huge difference between DIY and commercial juices when it comes to wick longevity. Learn to thin the tails of your build rather than cutting the bulk off especially with wide ID coil builds. Use pointy tweezers and brush through the tail removing fluff and bulk, it'll increase juice flow to the coil in both cotton and rayon. I've been using rayon for over a couple years now and will never use anything else again.
All I can say is that cotton and rayon may sound the same but they are totally opposite in how they are applied in a coil build. A properly wicked rayon build and you'll never vape cotton again
ive vaped both and went back to cotton as a preference. I had no problems with flavor or wicking/dry hits with rayon, i just preferred the JC flavor better.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Funny - I'm probably in the minority, but I don't rewick, except when I recoil. I use cotton bacon, and it always seems to be in great shape when the coil needs to be dry-fired or replaced. Coils are so cheap and easy to build- I've tried dry firing, but it's just as easy to throw a new one in there. I generally re-coil after about 8-10ml of juice.
Maybe mine is different because I use very low watts - 8-10W on a 28ga SS 2.5mm 8 wrap around .85ohm with VG tobacco juices. But the cotton can be almost still clear/whitish, while I see crud building up on the coil. That's when my flavor and TH start dropping, and I start over.
But kind of like Ben said - when you need to. I don't have a set time/ml, but when I feel it dropping off and want it freshened up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread