Another Newbie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jocat54

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Lindale, Texas
What makes some of these mods so expensive?
It seems they are just a battery (batteries) in a holder with some threads and a switch and circuit board? (pretty generalized on my statement).
I could make most of these holders on my lathe in pretty short time.
Is the circuit board that expensive? or the switch?
Not saying it would be real easy----but some of the $150 to $200 and up mods seem just overpriced. I have no intentions of making any, just curious where the expense is. Yes I do know someone had to design it and produce it (time and money)

These are just questions in my mind.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
It seems they are just a battery (batteries) in a holder with some threads and a switch and circuit board? (pretty generalized on my statement).
Not saying it would be real easy----but some of the $150 to $200 and up mods seem just overpriced. I have no intentions of making any, just curious where the expense is. Yes I do know someone had to design it and produce it (time and money)

Generally the most expensive part is the pcb. There are some Vendors that sell the parts for DIY Mods. Many posts on the infamous "altoids" Mod. I know somewhere there is or was a DIY Mod Forum.

Shopan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
Thebestcityintheworld,USA
Well You have to look at the Total cost of R&D...they have to mechine each Prototype and get the Threading right, Switches right, Platforms and Post right...Then the cost of the Material and tools...Not to mention Protection from cloning by serial numbers and legalease....I do not think $100 to $200 bucks for a well made tube that is near indestructable is too bad of a Price...That being said I understand your Question.

Screamin Eagle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Maryland
Ok, first let me say (before this thred gets beaten to death like the others have) there is a differance between a MOD and a APV. A MOD is something someone has either hand built from scratch, or MODified from an existing design or completely other product. An APV is something that has come off a production line normally in an electronic fashion.
There is also a difference between a mechanical and a electronic APV/MOD. I think the differance is obvious.

So what your about to hear, in respons to your question and subsequent trashing between posters, is a cluster f--k of people talking about everything and not being specific as to weather they are talking about a one off hand built piece of art or something punch off a production line by the 100s.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up before the s--t storm starts.

LET THE FUN BEGIN!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Most mods are expensive for the same reason a Rolex is expensive. Quality, now a Rolex is perfection and I haven't personally run across a mod that is perfection. However a good 90% of brand name mods out there are of a very high quality. A local vape shop here in FL has a mod that runs about 75 dollars, that's the mod price only doesn't include anything else. Which seems cheap but after buying a drip tip, tank, batteries and charger you're paying $115. Still on the cheap side compared to some other mods out there. These mods from the local store are handcrafted however. The threading for the battery cap starts getting choppy, the electronics in the device start dying and anything else that can go wrong typically does with these mods. Now a Provari or a Lavatube won't have nearly as many problems. To make an already long reply a little shorter you're paying for quality.

jocat54

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Lindale, Texas
Most mods are expensive for the same reason a Rolex is expensive. Quality, now a Rolex is perfection and I haven't personally run across a mod that is perfection. However a good 90% of brand name mods out there are of a very high quality. A local vape shop here in FL has a mod that runs about 75 dollars, that's the mod price only doesn't include anything else. Which seems cheap but after buying a drip tip, tank, batteries and charger you're paying $115. Still on the cheap side compared to some other mods out there. These mods from the local store are handcrafted however. The threading for the battery cap starts getting choppy, the electronics in the device start dying and anything else that can go wrong typically does with these mods. Now a Provari or a Lavatube won't have nearly as many problems. To make an already long reply a little shorter you're paying for quality.

So the next question for me, is the pcb in Provari what makes it better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread