another smoking related death

Status
Not open for further replies.

ad356

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
north java, ny
this woman was 60 years old and was my wife's best friends mother. she smoked 2 pack of terrington cigarettes per day. she was daignosed with lung cancer 2 years ago and died the other day. the funeral was sad and the family was really torn by her death. she was kind of like the "gkue that held them together". she was daignosed with lung cancer 2 months after she had quit smoking.

what really ...... me off was the fact that people just finished burrying this woman prompley went outside and had a cigarette. people just do not learn. my own wife went outside and had a cigarette. i chewed into her but she wouldnt listen. i bought her an electronic cigarette to get her off the stupid cigarettes, we are waiting for it in the mail. i use one myself and have quit tobacco using it. i am no longer breathing in 4,000 unknown chemicals which include things like hydrogen cynide(a chemical used by the nazis in WWII found in cigarettes in a low doseage). like electronic cigarettes or not they are a much safer altenative to smoking, they contain around 20 food grade indegents which arent even burned. the only thing that isnt found in foods is the nicotine. nicotine in itself doesnt not cause cancer or kill and it is not much worse than caffinated soda.

i really dont think i will be able to tollerate my wife's 1+ pack per day habit much longer. i fully understand the nature of the addicition, but i dont think i will be able to burry my wife in 20 years. she is 30 years old and already has a slight smoker's cough. she says its her sinuns but i know the truth, smoking is already having an adverse effect on her body. i refuse to watch her smoke to the point of death and she is going to eventually have to quit or im going to have to leave. smokers drag the people around them through the suffering when they meet their eventual demise.

we are all going to die someday.. that's a fact but a death that results from smoking is a slow, miserable agony that you drag everyone else around you through. when i do eventually die i want it to be quick and painless.

which brings me to the point, my wife who refuses to quit those burning garbage "tobacco" (we all know cigarettes arent real tobacco) cigarettes has a provari on the way. these things are very expensive for a vaporizor, how well do they work. is 5v vaping the ticket to get her off of cigarettes. i use an e-power myself but she claims it doesnt have enough throat hit for her, she a feind when it comes to cigarettes. i want her off the damn things before her life is made much shorter by smoking. i think a smoking death is a pointless, painful, miserable death. frankly a death in vain.

what do you guys think? is the provari realy that much better than anything else on the market, for 200 bucks im expecting a wonder pv.

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Diego, CA
First off I am deeply sorry for your loss and frustrations with the activities of the smokers afterwords.

I will be perfectly honest with you, I was a 2 pack a day Pall Mall Full Flavor Menthol Smoker, AKA A Very Heavy Smoker. I stopped smoking cigarettes using an Ego T Type A 650 Mah Starter Kit. I too Own a Provari, and it does indeed give much more flavor, throat hit and vapor than my Ego T Ever could. The Most throat hit I get though is from my SGT VV Army Tank V2, I use a 3.5 ohm 306 with drip tip and drip shield and crank it up to like 5.8 volts and it rocks my socks off. What you will find is that having the ability to use an atomizer or cartomizer that you already know and love and simply adjust the voltage according to your personal tastes is a great help when it comes to "CRAVING TIME" you are more prepared to combat those cravings when you can increase the "Hit" that the device will put out. A Lot of people will say that it is easier for them to just get a bunch of different Ohm atomizers or cartomizers to use to achieve this, I for one find it much easier to know that I like the Dual Coil Cartomizers on pretty much everything I own and the 306 atomizers on pretty much everything I own and just buy those and adjust the voltage to taste.

In the end, it will ultimately be up to Her to make the choice to quit smoking cigarettes, there is no one else in the world that can make that choice for her. You will have probably made that choice much easier for her to make though in spending the extra money on a very great device to start her out on though.

My very sincerest and best wishes to you in your endeavor ad356;
Nate aka Darth Vapor

ad356

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
north java, ny
i really hope she does give them up, if she doesnt it very well could eventually ruin our marriage. i love very much but i dont think i can just sit back and let her drag me through hell as she slowely kills herself. if she wants to commit suicide by continuing to smoke she can do it by herself. i dont want to be around it, i dont want to smell it, and i dont want to be tempted to smoke it. i consider vaping to be an acceptable alternative to smoking. i dont want to be a jerk but im only going to have so much patience for this terrible habit. i will give her adaquate time to quit but im not going to put up with it for ever. she smokes in the car even when i ask her not to, she gets ...... off when i tell her to toss that junk out of the window. she smokes in the house, although she has enough respect to go into the next room i can still smell it.

kabonk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
NW Detroit Burbs
I'm sorry for your lose, a freind of my moms was rushed to the er she was diagnosed with copd it turns out she didn't have a enough oxygen in her blood she smokes like a chimney you would think that little scare would be enough to get her to at least look at e-cigs again I tried to get her to try them last year when I quit smoking but instead she said to me I really don't smoke that much. you can lead a person to e-cigs but you can't make them vape.

dotma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
Spokane, WA
Ad, I know its not my business buttttt . . . well you put it out there. I think you need to be a tad more understanding. When you married her, was she not already a smoker? And you probably were too. And now all of a sudden you have moved onto something better (that she apparently is not crazy about) and you are talking about leaving her if she continues to do the same thing she was doing before? I understand that you want to do better for her, but dude, i dont think you are gonna accomplish it by trying to force her or if you are threatening to leave if she continues. Sorry, i know you didnt sign up for marriage counseling. Just my 2 cents.

glowgirl

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
A, A
I too am very sorry for your loss and also for the fear you have of watching your wife suffer. However, I do have to say a few things. I hope you can take what I am saying into consideration.

Love is forgiving of weakness. If you give your wife an ultimatum, however well intentioned, you are telling her your love is conditional. Everyone wants to be loved flaws and all. You would have a much better chance of a happy marriage, and her quitting, if you made your love for her so self evident that she quit because she wanted to. Shower her with support, love and compassion so that she feels so grateful for you that the thought of causing you pain is worse then the cravings for cigarettes......

Quite honestly, if my husband told me not to do something or he would leave me I would resent him bitterly for it.

DarthSnoopyFish

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2011
Burlingame, CA
Wow, that's harsh! Did you wife smoke before you got married? Did you smoke before you got married? Did you feel the same way about smokers you do now before you got married? She is still the same person you fell in love with; it seems that the only thing that has changed is that you quit smoking and now you are going through some mid life "Oh my god cigarettes are gonna kill you" crisis. Didn't you know cigarettes could kill people before you married her?

glowgirl

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
A, A
Don't judge him to harshly. Fear makes you want to do anything to control a situation and he just went to a funeral. If I could I would force my niece to stop smoking. She is 20 and has asthma. i have bought her kits but she doesn't want to quit. It is hard to watch someone you love make unhealthy choices. Harder to remember that their bad choice doesn't automatically give you the right to bully or lecture them.

Wow, that's harsh! Did you wife smoke before you got married? Did you smoke before you got married? Did you feel the same way about smokers you do now before you got married? She is still the same person you fell in love with; it seems that the only thing that has changed is that you quit smoking and now you are going through some mid life "Oh my god cigarettes are gonna kill you" crisis. Didn't you know cigarettes could kill people before you married her?

DarthSnoopyFish

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2011
Burlingame, CA
Don't judge him to harshly. Fear makes you want to do anything to control a situation and he just went to a funeral. If I could I would force my niece to stop smoking. She is 20 and has asthma. i have bought her kits but she doesn't want to quit. It is hard to watch someone you love make unhealthy choices. Harder to remember that their bad choice doesn't automatically give you the right to bully or lecture them.

Yeah, good point.

Your niece will quit eventually as I did. I have asthma and after 14 years of smoking, I got to a point where I was using my inhaler like 14 times a day. It was getting too expensive and too dangerous for me to keep smoking. Thank god for my e-cig.

Last edited:

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
I'm sorry for your loss. It certainly isn't easy, no matter how someone got there, physical health, or just at the end. We all get there eventually. There isn't much more that I can say that hasn't been said here multiple times. Unconditional love is what we all must strive for in our relationships with others. I certainly hope for your sake, not her's, that you can achieve that. Your anger over big tobacco is getting the better of your judgement. May I suggest that you try meditation on this?

VapingRulz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Florida
My husband and I smoked together for 25 years. Going out for coffee and cigarettes, and talking for hours - that was our favorite thing to do. Then he had a heart attack and had to quit. I continued to smoke. He never, ever lectured me about my smoking. He was the one who encouraged me to try vaping after a co-worker told me about them, but he never pushed or lectured. When I quit smoking after my first vaping session over two years ago, he was a very happy man. Only THEN did he admit that it had really bothered him to be around the smoke.

Why didn't he nag me to quit? Because you can't change the rules of the game. We met, married, and lived as smokers. He had no right to try to force me to quit. Luckily he's a smart guy who just waited till I was ready. I would strongly suggest that the OP back off and lead by example. As most former smokers know, the more pressure you get about quitting, the more resistant you become and the more furiously you smoke. Leave your wife alone and let her make her own decision about smoking vs vaping. Odds are good that she'll switch over before too long when she sees the benefits of vaping.

LeAnn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2010
Urbana, Illinois, United States
You can't just tell somebody to do something and expect them to do it, even if you are a firm believer she hasn't gotten it yet! You need to support her and explain to her that you love her so much that you don't want to lose her, if by buying a Provari will show her how much you love her then do it, but don't give her crap about smoking! If you ever smoked you would know how hard it is to give it up and wouldn't threaten to leave her if she doesn't quit. Everybody has to quit in there own time and that's the point they have to want to quit or they won't!

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
Listen to LeAnn. She's got a super member, just like mine. :) I'll bet you didn't expect to get lectured by a bunch of ex smokers while looking for PV information. I see you have a low post count. Thing is, not everyone here has quit smoking, but a lot of people have. I think most of us really like to smoke, and didn't want to quit, which is why we find vaping so appealing. We're not a "quit smoking" forum, and we realize that it's the individual's choice in the matter. We didn't want to be lectured, and we aren't going to become that "ex smoker" who tells others what to do. It's hypocrisy, plain and simple. You didn't want to be lectured or threatened when you were in your smoking prime.

ad356

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
north java, ny
i know it sounds harsh maybe it is, but i want to quit smoking and have an extremely hard time doing so with a wife that continues to smoke. i want all temptation removed, i would love nothing better than to throw that bag to tobacco in the trash(we roll our cigarettes). i refuse to be a life long smoker and if she wants to continue i dont think i can be a part of it. yes i was a smoker when we got married and so was she, but we are 30 years old now and its time to quit. smoking is for stupid teenagers that dont fully know better, its time to grow up and get rid of these damn things. i also have a 7 month old son and i dont want him growing up with parents and are sick and slowly killing themselves. i also dont want him growing up with smoking parents as an influence. i dont want him to have to smell that **** either. my wife smokes in the car with the child sometimes and that really pisses me off, sure the window is open but it still smells bad for him. she wont smoke in the same room as him be she smokes in the house next room over. her computer room stinks like an ashtray. will i tolerate her habit while she quits, yes; will i put up with it for years and years until she puts herself in a coffin at 60 years or younger.... forget it if she wants to kill herself by smoking she can do it alone.

i also get really annoyed by her "what if i die from something else anyways". while this might be true, smoking causes no just death but a painfull, slow, and agonizing death. my wife's friends mother suffered for 2 full years and the last 2 months of her life were not a qaulity of life. smoking deaths are preventable. 100%

calico21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2011
next to a corn field,IL
My husband and I smoked together for 25 years. Going out for coffee and cigarettes, and talking for hours - that was our favorite thing to do. Then he had a heart attack and had to quit. I continued to smoke. He never, ever lectured me about my smoking. He was the one who encouraged me to try vaping after a co-worker told me about them, but he never pushed or lectured. When I quit smoking after my first vaping session over two years ago, he was a very happy man. Only THEN did he admit that it had really bothered him to be around the smoke.

Why didn't he nag me to quit? Because you can't change the rules of the game. We met, married, and lived as smokers. He had no right to try to force me to quit. Luckily he's a smart guy who just waited till I was ready. I would strongly suggest that the OP back off and lead by example. As most former smokers know, the more pressure you get about quitting, the more resistant you become and the more furiously you smoke. Leave your wife alone and let her make her own decision about smoking vs vaping. Odds are good that she'll switch over before too long when she sees the benefits of vaping.

This is almost exactly my story, except DH still tells me smoking stinks, but has no problem with me vaping inside next to him. I think after reading this though I'll give another try at only vaping. Mabey you can ask her to try vaping for inside and if she still needs a reg cig go outside or basement like I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread