Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
The drum beat of opposition seems to have picked up in recent weeks, with public-health agencies in Ontario and B.C. recommending crackdowns on e-cigarettes, worrying they could normalize smoking or act as gateways to tobacco itself.

Yeah. Sooner or later this backfires when enough people with enough common sense finally dare say it: The Emperor has no clothes.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
The gateway effect.... Yeah... I've heard that before. It still smells like BS.

"Mmm, vaping has this delicious blueberry/strawberry/cream flavor - time to try a regular cigarette!"
There is zero nic available...

Normalize smoking? The things most people use don't even look like cigarettes.... I know there are cigalikes out there, but it's like 7% of the market, and I think most of that 7% will eventually give up cigalikes and go back to cigarettes! or upgrade to ego/APV....

Just my thoughts, haven't read the article yet, just responding to previous comments :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
excellent article! thank you for posting it! :thumb:

Electronic cigarettes (top), are designed to mimic the experience of smoking while leaving out the tar, carbon monoxide and other toxins that make tobacco the leading cause of cancer.

“You can’t attack a safer option to something without invariably aiding the more risky option,” said Mr. Sweanor. “But in any abstinence-only campaign, people miss that.”

Yeah and that "renormalize smoking" "argument" (= complete and pretty desperate lie) has picked up in recent times.
Because even the most stupid, silly and thickheaded ANTZ can no longer claim "we don't know what's in them". :p

- Big THANK YOU to all the vaping activists whose tireless activities have countered this stupid "we don't know" blathering by self-proclaimed "experts" time and again!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

As to "renormalizing smoking", Clive Bates says it well:

5. Are e-cigarettes just ‘renormalising’ smoking?
The people who claim this need to explain carefully how they think one activity can normalise another, especially when these alternatives involve products in competition. It is more likely, and should be assumed in the absence of evidence to the contrary, that vaping normalises vaping, which is an alternative to smoking – and therefore normalises not smoking. High level support for this comes from one of the world’s experts in smoking cessation, based on UK survey data:

Evidence conflicts with the view that electronic cigarettes are undermining tobacco control or ‘renormalizing’ smoking, and they may be contributing to a reduction in smoking prevalence through increased success at quitting smoking

(Professor Robert West: Trends in e-cigarette use, presentation to European Conference on Tobacco or Health)

source - well worth reading - Arguing about e-cigarettes – a Q&A

LaraC

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2013
Tennessee
This little quote I plucked out of the article... I'd change the word "gains" to "money"... :glare:

We would like e-cigarettes to be treated as tobacco — we see them as an extension of the same product,” said Dr Meena Dawar, medical health officer with Vancouver Coastal. “[They have] a huge potential to undermine the gains we have made in tobacco control.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
This little quote I plucked out of the article... I'd change the word "gains" to "money"... :glare:

“We would like e-cigarettes to be treated as tobacco — we see them as an extension of the same product,” said Dr Meena Dawar, medical health officer with Vancouver Coastal. “[They have] a huge potential to undermine the gains we have made in tobacco control.”

Priceless, isn't it (pun intended:)).

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany

“We would like e-cigarettes to be treated as tobacco — we see them as an extension of the same product,” said Dr Meena Dawar, medical health officer with Vancouver Coastal. “[They have] a huge potential to undermine the gains we have made in tobacco control.”

images

Excellent! :thumb:
Yes, this is precisely what they mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread