Anthony Vapes: OBS Engine 2 RTA Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of OBS Engine 2 rta. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links

Introduction:
The OBS Engine 2 rta is the latest rta from somewhat popular Manufacturer OBS. Their Engine Series has been their most popular atomizers to date and focus on top airflow and leak resistance. The Engine 2 is the new version of the original Engine RTA and is a dual coil RTA with an interesting deck and airflow channeled to the under the coil. It’s available in 2 colors only Black (which is a matte black) and SS. It’s currently for pre-order on heavengifts for 35.06

Manufacturer's Specs
  • Height: 56mm
  • Outside Diameter: 26mm
  • Capacity: 5ml
  • Type: Dual Coil RTA
  • Drip tip: 510
  • Material: Food grade 304 steel
  • Thread: 510 thread
  • Super dual coil RTA without leakage
  • Patented top side filling system
  • 360 degree top adjustable airflow control
  • Precise design of air circulation system
  • Easy two posts build deck
  • High quality 304 Stainless Steel construction
Included in box:
  • 1x Engine 2 RTA
  • 1x Spare Glass Tube
  • 1x Coil
  • 1x Spare Parts
  • 1x User Manual
Pictures Album:
album

Initial Impressions
When I first got this RTA I wasn’t quite sure what to think. I’ve had a love hate relationship with the OBS products i’ve reviewed in the past. While i loved the Crius 2 and Crius 2 dual and thought the Crius plus was decent for it’s time, I didn’t care for the original engine from 2 years ago and felt it was highly overrated and produced really muted flavor. Since it’s been a long time since then though and they did well with the crius line, i was hopeful this RTA would be a big improvement over the original. They went with the top air channeled all the way to under the coil which is nice and used an unique build deck i haven’t seen before personally. It looks like your typical engine atomizer form the outside and not much different from the original but the insides are completely different. Either way i slapped on a build and started my review.

Build Deck and Wicking (pics above)
Let’s talk about the build deck now. It’s an interesting one. If i had to describe it in a simple way i’d call it an upside down postless deck where you don’t need to precut leads. That’s essentially how it works. It’s a 2 post deck that’s built up high and your coils go in upside down from most RTAs with the leads facing up. Each elad gets its own screw and coils can be installed one at a time. When you are done it’s easy to clip the excess leads of the top as well. It’s an extremely easy to build on deck. Just place your coil to the height you want it and screw in the leads then clip the excess. The deck and airflow with it does leave very limited options though as far as coils size. It’s going to only take smaller to medium sized coils with a max ID of 3mm due to the air or lack of. You are limited in your wraps as well with the negative and positive being very close together. In my pics you can see with fancier coils 5 wraps was pretty much the max and with round it was around 8-9 ish with 22G wire. I did have one more complaint with the deck outside of the limits and that is they use really poor quality and phillips head screws. I can't seem them lasting long. Mine are already wearing out with only 4 builds through them. They need to use better quality screws and preferably flathead or hex.

Wicking on this one is also extremely easy. There is 2 areas to put your wicks into, it’s a slightly raised deck so you can drop it to the bottom. It doesn’t wick very efficiently so you’ll really want to thin out your wicks a lot or it’ll lead to dry hits.

Performance
Performance wise, I used it as a dual coil RTA as it’s only designed for that. I ran 4 builds in this. The 3 pictured above (1 small fused clapton, a 24G SS contact build and a small staggered fused clapton build) as well as another small fused clapton build. All Builds 2.5mm-3.5mm ID. 3mm is really the sweet spot. 3.5mm could be used and 2.5mm is a little small but i don’t recommend shoving a 4mm or more in it. Either way though even though it looks like it could be good, the RTA is very poor for flavor. Really muted flavor. Not good at all. One of the most flavorless RTAs i’ve used recently by quite a bit. I was very disappointed. They also advertise it as a cloud chucker but due to the limited build space and lack of air it doesn’t do that well either. I could care less about it personally clouds wise as i only care about flavor but since they call it a cloud chaser too i figured i’d point out it doesn't do that well either.

Overall Impressions, Details, and Extras
It’s a bottom top airflow RTA where the air is channeled down to the bottom under the coils. The adjustment is on top with 3 airflow slots right below the drip tip. It has some nice knurling on it for grip but due to it’s small size and being so tight I found it unadjustable. Mine would barely spin at all. I could go at it with some pliers if i cared to but the air is already so restricted it doesn’t seem like there is a point to close it off. It has a standard OBS side fill like most of their RTAs where you just pop up the top piece under the AFC to expose 1 fill hole. It’s a large hole but best filled with a dripper or bottle. Can’t really pour it in and you need to tilt it sideways to fill it all the way. I like it though personally. All the threading is really smooth on this RTA and it’s easy to take apart. There is your basic amount of accessories that come with it, It comes with a standard 510 Resin drip tip that looks pretty nice and feels nice. You can use your own as well but I like the one it comes with. It comes with an extra glass tube, plenty of extra o-rings and post screws as well and 2 coils that are unlabeled (manufacturers please label your coils material!)

The quality on the OBS Engine II is a mixed bag. All the threading is really nice and smooth. It’s very easy to take apart, but the AFC is way too tight and the post screws are bad. Everything else is good though. It’s a 26mm diameter RTA with nothing that bulges out but due to being 26mm may overhang on some mods. The 5ml capacity is good enough for a dual coil RTA. Not great but no complaints. A bubble glass would have been nice. There is no JFC and it doesn't need one. It has the slightly raised style deck. I had no leaking or flooding issues and it handled chain vaping pretty good as well if you wick lightly. Branding is nice and simple. OBS engraved on the top cap, inside the glass on the chamber has the engine logo on one side and the word engine on the other.

Pros:
  • Standard 510 Resin Drip Tip
  • Easy filling system
  • great threading
  • nice easy to build and wick deck
  • good 5ml capacity
  • plenty of spare o-rings and post screws
Cons:
  • lack of color options (black and SS only)
  • didn’t label the material of included coils
  • bubble glass would have been nice
  • AFC is too hard to adjust
  • Lack of flavor
  • not good for clouds either
  • poor quality post screws
  • 26mm is an odd size. Most opt for 25mm or 30mm
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this RTA?I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, this one is going to lean extremely heavy towards the no. I’m a bit disappointed after enjoying all their crius offerings but they failed to make a good engine. It’s a shame as the build deck is really easy to build and very unique but the issues with the quality of some parts are annoying. I might have been able to overlook that if it performed well but when the flavor is just bad too no way i could see any reason for someone to buy this and no way I could put my name on this. It’s a shame too as with the easy build deck and leak resistance it could have been a decent intro for new builders to try a RTA but if they did with this one they’d go right back to a sub ohm tank for better performance.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

it can be preordered here https://www.heavengifts.com/product/OBS-Engine-2-RTA.html

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from heavengifts.com

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 200 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2017 list here

Reactions: stylemessiah

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Nice review

Recently after 2 less than great experiences with top airflow tanks I started looking for something drama free, back in bottom airflow land. Hearing good things about the OBS line in the past I settled on the Cruise II, and its quickly become my fave. But I did come across the OBS Engine 2 when looking around and that hanging deck did not look like it would be fun times both with fiddling to hang the coils, and also the thought of trying to trap plain single wires (a common bugbear with most manufacturers now seeking to assume everyone is using blooming Clapton wire) didn't inspire a lot of joy :)

That there's also a width limit to consider, doubt it d get my standard 7/8 wraps of 26GA on 3mm in there, you have to wonder what they were thinking...is this really from the same maker of my brilliant Crius II...

Seems like just another "lets do something different, because we have to release something" tank...

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Reactions: Anthony_Vapes

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Nice review

Recently after 2 less than great experiences with top airflow tanks I started looking for something drama free, back in bottom airflow land. Hearing good things about the OBS line in the past I settled on the Cruise II, and its quickly become my fave. But I did come across the OBS Engine 2 when looking around and that hanging deck did not look like it would be fun times both with fiddling to hang the coils, and also the thought of trying to trap plain single wires (a common bugbear with most manufacturers now seeking to assume everyone is using blooming Clapton wire) didn't inspire a lot of joy :)

That there's also a width limit to consider, doubt it d get my standard 7/8 wraps of 26GA on 3mm in there, you have to wonder what they were thinking...is this really from the same maker of my brilliant Crius II...

Seems like just another "lets do something different, because we have to release something" tank...

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
crius 2 is excellent. I love it. I think your standard build would just about fit fine but still not worth your time or money on the engine 2

Reactions: stylemessiah
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread