anti e-cig commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.

psauf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2012
Belleville, IL
I just saw a commercial on our local weather station that basically said to stay away from e-cigs and stick with nic gum and the patch because of contaminates found in e-cigs. http ://www. accuweather.com/en/weather-video/video-smoke-alert-the-hidden-dangers-of-e-cigarettes/1708382397"]Smoke Alert: The Hidden Dangers of E-Cigarettes - AccuWeather. com this may be old news but i thought i would share for the newer people. FDA, the Gov and big tobacco are getting scared

Last edited by a moderator:

Discord

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Portland, OR, USA
sounds to me like they got an intern to read from a script... just once... no editing.

edit:
This is designed to look/sound like a news story, but when the reporter says "honestly, my best advice...", that immediately discounts this as a massive steaming pile of bulls#!t... yes, I am going to take health advice from a cable weather channels no-name reporter.... or maybe instead I'll listen to my doctor, who's been highly supportive of my use of ecigs, instead.

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
OH there may be contaminates in ejuices? Really? There are "contaminates" found in EVERYTHING! The FDA publishes a book on Defect action levels which is basically the amount of contaminates that can be present in your FOOD before something must be done.

Here are some excerpts from the OFFICIAL FDA WEBSITE:

CITRUS FRUIT JUICES, CANNED
Mold - (AOAC 970.75) Average mold count is 10% or more
Insects and insect eggs - (AOAC 970.72) 5 or more Drosophila and other fly eggs per 250 ml or 1 or more maggots per 250 ml
DEFECT SOURCE: Mold - processing contamination, Fly eggs and/or maggots - post harvest insect infestation

GREENS, CANNED
Mildew - (AOAC 967.23) Average of 10% or more of leaves, by count or weight, showing mildew over 1/2" in diameter
DEFECT SOURCE: Pre-harvest infection

PEANUT BUTTER
Insect filth - (AOAC 968.35) Average of 30 or more insect fragments per 100 grams
Rodent filth - (AOAC 968.35) Average of 1 or more rodent hairs per 100 grams
Grit - (AOAC 968.35) Gritty taste and water insoluble inorganic residue is more than 25 mg per 100 grams
DEFECT SOURCE: Insect fragments - preharvest and/or post harvest and/or processing insect infestation, Rodent hair - post harvest and/or processing contamination with animal hair or excreta, Grit - harvest contamination

TOMATOES, CANNED
Drosophila fly - (AOAC 955.46) Average of 10 or more fly eggs per 500 grams
OR 5 or more fly eggs and 1 or more maggots per 500 grams OR 2 or more maggots per 500 grams
DEFECT SOURCE: Pre-harvest and/or post harvest and/or processing insect infestation

TOMATOES, CANNED, WITH (OR) WITHOUT juice (BASED ON DRAINED juice)
Mold - (AOAC 945.90) Average mold count in 6 subsamples is 15% or more and the counts of all of the subsamples are more than 12%
DEFECT SOURCE: Pre-harvest and/or post harvest and/or processing infection

Add to this the findings of a recent study that showed almost ONE HALF of the countries High Fructose Corn Syrup contained MERCURY! Which is toxic in all of it's forms and is considered so dangerous that if you spill some you need a hazmat team to clean it up. This is in the sweetener used in nearly everything sweet that we eat and/or drink. All those sodas you drink and store bought cookies you eat, probably contain mercury.

So yeah, if they want to scare me by crying about "contaminates" they are going to need to be WAY more specific, finding something more dangerous than mercury, and even more unsavory than the examples I posted above. Otherwise it is just the same old standard crap (literally) we are already being fed daily. Good luck with that.

Last edited:

jerzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Florida, USA
^^^ What ScottP said ^^^

Back in the day, I drove truck, and at that time Pet food manufactures had waaaaaay cleaner factories than human food plants.
Shoot, Firestone's tire plant looked like a lab compared to Carnation.

I agree, but it would be nice to have a regulations on how juices are processed and in what setting. This should be standard for any business producing eliquid to sell. The FDA and governments will rain hell fire on the ecig community if something is found in a juice to be toxic or a nasty bacteria.

If it is regulated, they will only go after that one particular company, if it isn't, you better believe they will halt all the ejuice suppliers until they regulate it. The only ones that will be allowed to continue manufacturing will be companies like BigT who have the labs and standard safety practices already in place.

Last edited:

jerzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Florida, USA
If these ejuices are coming out of garages and makeshift setups, you're absolutely right. With the health concerns of smoking analogs and the uproar it would cause by millions of people they would never push back people to analogs unless they have a death wish. They will definately require applications for licensing though to continue to sell. These garage suppliers will have to buy from licensed companies for resale or have labs cut and process ejuices for them.

This will put vaping in the same cost range as traditional analogs.

I'm just saying these suppliers should have a lab setup, safety procedures that they can produce evidence of instead of "oh I make it in my garage or on my coffee table" if this ever does happen.

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Forget the "coffee table" and the "garage", you could mix up some eJuice in the toilet at the local 7-11 and it would still be safer and cleaner than analogs so I guess I don't see the need for the regulations. If you are really worried about it though, you can make it your self. Then you would know for sure whats in it. There is a whole section of these forums dedicated to DIY juice.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
The FDA and governments will rain hell fire on the ecig community if something is found in a juice to be toxic or a nasty bacteria.

One thing to point out here. Bacteria can't live in PG/VG solutions and even if they could, the heat from the coil would kill it before you ever inhaled it.

jerzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Florida, USA
I'm worried because of news stations that post videos like this, thinking because there is a few particles in something that wouldn't be harmful to you. They are pretty much saying you could get a bottle of poison sent to you because it isn't regulated. That is a major concern and suppliers should be proactive about this instead of just saying, well analogs are worse and something like that could never happen.

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
I'm worried because of news stations that post videos like this, thinking because there is a few particles in something that wouldn't be harmful to you. They are pretty much saying you could get a bottle of poison sent to you because it isn't regulated. That is a major concern and suppliers should be proactive about this instead of just saying, well analogs are worse and something like that could never happen.

All the regulations already imposed on the food industry still does not stop contamination getting to us in the foods and drinks we consume. How the heck do u suppose it well stop any contaminates getting in liquid? Lmao.

It's impossible for our governments to police all food establishments, on every level from farming to production to preparation etc etc etc... And yet all all of those are regulated. But it's easy for them to BAN Vapeing with their dumb regulations, so they would have to only Police the BT.

I say ABSOLUTLY NOT to regulations unless approved by CASAA and me. IMHO.

jerzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Florida, USA
I don't see anything wrong with suppliers running purity tests on their liquids. under what conditions they process and releasing that information. I mean some companies don't even list the pg/vg ratios which I find a little ridiculous. I just think it would help a lot with the outlandish videos like these and would let the purchaser know they are getting a quality product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread