Status
Not open for further replies.

WNCmotard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2012
Western NC
I had just the opposite happen to me. My coffee tastes better than it ever has after over a month smoke free. One thing you can try is to buy yourself a coffee grinder, and some good coffee beans and see if that helps. I made the switch about three years ago, and would never go back. Also, those flavored creamers (like Hazelnut) aren't bad either.

Wickedwench

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2012
Toledo
Cherinny, you are about a month without analogs (fantastic, by the way! Pride deserved!). Let me give you my experience:
You can read a lot on this site about "Vapers tongue", where you suddenly and inexplicably can't taste your vape flavors for a time. Less is written about what I call "vapor illusion". When I was about a month free, I went through a couple of weeks where my nose and tastebuds were in the Twilight Zone! I swore someone was following me and cutting up oranges! My coffee vapes tasted like stomach acid! Fruit flavors went to maple! Not even good maple syrup flavor; that nasty crap they used to flavor instant oatmeal with! Blech!
You may be having a flavor hiccup. I'd put your current coffee (and anything else that suddenly tastes nasty) aside for a bit, then try them again later. You may honestly never return to some of them, but change for the better, not just to change!
Oh, and I'm huge on any coffee from the Kona region of Hawaii!

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
Cherinny, you are about a month without analogs (fantastic, by the way! Pride deserved!). Let me give you my experience:
You can read a lot on this site about "Vapers tongue", where you suddenly and inexplicably can't taste your vape flavors for a time. Less is written about what I call "vapor illusion". When I was about a month free, I went through a couple of weeks where my nose and tastebuds were in the Twilight Zone! I swore someone was following me and cutting up oranges! My coffee vapes tasted like stomach acid! Fruit flavors went to maple! Not even good maple syrup flavor; that nasty crap they used to flavor instant oatmeal with! Blech!
You may be having a flavor hiccup. I'd put your current coffee (and anything else that suddenly tastes nasty) aside for a bit, then try them again later. You may honestly never return to some of them, but change for the better, not just to change!
Oh, and I'm huge on any coffee from the Kona region of Hawaii!

Good point!!!!!! I went through a period of a few weeks where I couldn't discern between fruits. I knew it was a fruit but couldn't have identified which one. That passed, but even now from time to time I'll have a period of off taste. I also had times where my bakery flavors all tasted the same, just a general sweet flavor.

Another thing..... look at what you're vaping. Ever brush your teeth and then drink orange juice???

Oh... and 28 days today!!!! If we'd all gone to some rehab for cigs, you'd be graduating back to the real world today. God I'm glad we don't have to go anywhere once we've succeeded here.

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
Try adding a good pinch of kosher salt to the top of the grounds when you put them in the filter basket. It does wonders for mellowing out the coffee and making it richer. Sounds odd but I tried it a few weeks ago per a recommendation by a barista and I'm not going back.

Really????? Do you taste salt in the coffee?

Snoopielyn

Verified Member
May 22, 2012
Henderson, KY
A couple weeks after I started vaping I had the same experience. I thought maybe it was the brand I was using, but after trying a couple different brands, I couldn't find anything I liked, so I gave up coffee as an every day drink. I still drink it from time to time, but I used to drink it only black and now have to use cream and sugar. It has taken some adjustment since I would drink coffee from the time I got up until bed time, so have had to deal with some caffeine withdrawal and finding ways to get my caffeine, which is currently in pill form. But I do go through at least 3/4 of a gallon of water a day now, lol.

DummyMe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
North Carolina
I love coffee. We grind our own beans. I've not used sugar in coffee in over 40 years, so the flavored creamers are out. If vaping messed up my taste buds for coffee, I'd have quit vaping. Luckily, my coffee still tastes good. I've done the salt trick for many years. I used to work in a restaurant (while going to college) & that's how I was taught to make it.

When I've been vaping menthol & I try to vape almost anything else, I get no taste from it. Everything else tastes unflavored, except very strong tobacco flavors. I like fruit flavors & things like cola & root beer & even mountain dew, but if I'm vaping menthol, I just gotta vape nothing but menthol that day. I truly believe that pina colada juice is what got me off of stinkies.

zuzette

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2012
Colorado
ah the flavor illusion thing is driving me crazy! every once in a while i will get a taste in my mouth/nose when I'm not consuming anything at all. peanut butter especially.
nothing really tastes good to me right now. i went for 2 whole days consuming nothing but v8 splash because it was the only thing that tastes like it should.

Bullette the Cowdog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2012
Treasure Coast, FL
Yes your taste buds are changing.
Make sure whatever coffee you buy is 100% Arabica beans. Many American coffees use cheap Robusta beans.
I saw a documentary many years ago about how we Americans got hoodwinked on our coffees. Europeans seem to be much better with their coffees than we "Yanks".
Very enlightening documentary.
Vape on.

I am a coffeholic as well and when I quit smoking I ended up switching to a more expensive/grind your own coffee.Luckily there are a few custom roasters in my town that make wonderful coffee.I would try lots of different brands till you find something your new tastebuds enjoy. Also it was coffee flavored juice that got me off the analogs,dont think I would have quit without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread