Any flavor RDA's that can take big fused clapton coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
20181124_125318.jpg

6 wrap quad core on a Littlefoot. This rda has massive AF and does large Clapton builds well. Flavor is good with wire larger than triple core. It was kind of meh with triple.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The outer wrap doesn't particularly affect the resistance of the coil as electricity follows the path of the least resistance, its just there to provide nooks and crannies for juice to get trapped in. Sure, if you for some reason wrapped 40 guage wire with 10 guage wire or something then the outer wire may be the path of least resistance but there's no benefit to doing that. The result is that staggered fused claptons ramp up faster on mechanical mods (which may or may not be what one wants)

You can’t effectively wrap a 10awg wire around a 40awg wire. Staying with the design of a Clapton where its core is a lower gauge than its wrap, the outer wrap does affect the resistance as one can witness through a Steam Engine coil model. How much of an effect the wrap has on the resistance will be determined by the gauge of the wrap and the length of the wire used to make a coil. Will agree the influence is minimal but present non the less.

But in comparison to a regular Clapton, a Staggered Fused Clapton adds 2 more outer wraps and a second core. This comes at a cost. For the sake of argument if you remove the wraps, for as you stated they are just there to provide a void for juice to be trapped in, a Staggered Clapton is essentially 2 parallel wires vs a single wire for a Clapton. If the same gauge is used it is impossible for a Staggered to be the same resistance and less mass of a Clapton as you claimed. In fact it will be half the resistance and more than double the mass should the wraps be included.

@Skunk! – Dems’ nice lookin’ coils :thumb:

• Informative
Reactions: Eskie

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
If the same gauge is used it is impossible for a Staggered to be the same resistance and less mass of a Clapton as you claimed. In fact it will be half the resistance and more than double the mass should the wraps be included.

Correction on my comment of a Staggered being double the mass of a Clapton given the same gauge and dimensions. It will not be double but will be of a higher mass than a Clapton. I was thinking of a parallel vs single piece of wire.

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
You can’t effectively wrap a 10awg wire around a 40awg wire. Staying with the design of a Clapton where its core is a lower gauge than its wrap, the outer wrap does affect the resistance as one can witness through a Steam Engine coil model. How much of an effect the wrap has on the resistance will be determined by the gauge of the wrap and the length of the wire used to make a coil. Will agree the influence is minimal but present non the less.

But in comparison to a regular Clapton, a Staggered Fused Clapton adds 2 more outer wraps and a second core. This comes at a cost. For the sake of argument if you remove the wraps, for as you stated they are just there to provide a void for juice to be trapped in, a Staggered Clapton is essentially 2 parallel wires vs a single wire for a Clapton. If the same gauge is used it is impossible for a Staggered to be the same resistance and less mass of a Clapton as you claimed. In fact it will be half the resistance and more than double the mass should the wraps be included.

@Skunk! – Dems’ nice lookin’ coils :thumb:

Reactions: Eskie

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017

I am comparing a fused clapton with a staggered fused clapton - if the same number and gauges of wires are wrapped and the only difference is that one has gaps between the outer wraps then the difference in resistance will be next to zero and the coil mass will be different enough to notice the change in ramp up on a mechanical mod. I'm always posting after work or when I've just woke up so I get confused around the terms for different coil types and explain myself terribly, I am sorry for any confusion being caused. I tried claptons so long ago and found no benefit to them at all and forgot that they're what people think of rather than fused when the word fused is omitted. Bleehhhhh, coil terms...

Oh, and yes, you can't wrap 10awg around 40awg - I was being hyperbolic. Would certainly love to see someone try though!

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
I tried claptons so long ago and found no benefit to them at all and forgot that they're what people think of rather than fused when the word fused is omitted. Bleehhhhh, coil terms...

Oh, and yes, you can't wrap 10awg around 40awg - I was being hyperbolic. Would certainly love to see someone try though!

You may want to give fused claptons a shot. After noticing the same as you in regards to simple-round vs. single-core claptons, fused is where it really did get much better.. Surprising me in the process.

Interesting about you wanting to try rayon.. Whenever I get cotton samples, I can't wait to finish them and get back to rayon. Afterall, I'm way too cheap to just want to waste it by throwing it away. :)

Also interesting about the talk of wrapping thicker gauge around thinner. I hope to try that at some point with one or two strands of 34g ni-200, wrapped with maybe 28g ni-200. If nothing else, at least help get rid of 1,100ft of 28g ni-200 that I mistakenly stockpiled on. ...Or maybe two 32g kanthals wrapped with 28g ni-200.

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
You may want to give fused claptons a shot. After noticing the same as you in regards to simple-round vs. single-core claptons, fused is where it really did get much better.. Surprising me in the process.

Interesting about you wanting to try rayon.. Whenever I get cotton samples, I can't wait to finish them and get back to rayon. Afterall, I'm way too cheap to just want to waste it by throwing it away. :)

Also interesting about the talk of wrapping thicker gauge around thinner. I hope to try that at some point with one or two strands of 34g ni-200, wrapped with maybe 28g ni-200. If nothing else, at least help get rid of 1,100ft of 28g ni-200 that I mistakenly stockpiled on. ...Or maybe two 32g kanthals wrapped with 28g ni-200.

I have tried fused claptons, by the post that you quoted I was trying to say they are much better than the non-fused variety. I've found my favourite for mechanical mods are super-juggernauts - a fused clapton in parallel with a normal wire all wrapped with a staggered flat wire.

I once ordered a spool of 40awg. Since then they've sent me a few kilometers of the stuff for free with anything else I order, thinking I must be the only person that wants it. I can't use it in any way, it's too flimsy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread