any opinions from medically-experienced members ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mab

Aug 18, 2009
WNY
I didn't know there were e-cigarettes until the FDA weighed in on it recently. By searching I finally found this Forum and registered yesterday. My order from MyVaporStore for a 801 kit has been shipped. Having tried to quit smoking so many times I finally realized that for me it is not the withdrawl from nicotine that I cannot master. It is the loss of the ritual of smoking that led to my failure every time. That is why I was amazed and so happy to find out about this alternative.
My question is about flavors. I would feel most safe inhaling just distilled water, but now wonder if that is 'thick enough' to work. And most important to me is the safety of inhaling the flavors. I know I need to get vegetable/food grade, but aren't those considered safe because they are intended to be swallowed to the stomach ? Wouldn't some residue of them be carried into the lungs with the vapor ? I absolutely believe that e-cigs are a thousand times better for me than analog cigarettes. Absolutely no doubt at all. I am very grateful to have found this alternative and this site. I am asking any members who might know, whether there is any recipie or mixture that will not deposit anything foreign into the lung. After 40+ years of putting burning tobacco deposits in there I could just cry in gratitude that is available and hope the government doesn't ban it because of some unscrupulous suppliers. Yes they need to make sure we get safe products, but please please resist all the pressure from Big tobacco to shut it down to us.
Any opinions on the flavor lung particle question would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Vince1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Down South, USA.
Hi Mab, welcome to ECF. This thing you ask for does not exist. Any flavors you inhale will be "foreign" to your lungs, as will the PG or VG.
I recommend that you try flavorless VG liquid for the least amount of foreign particles. Even the nicotine in it still has other stuff left over from the extraction process but this is as safe as it gets I'm afraid.
I use flavorless PG or VG 36mg and drop in a few pure menthol crystals for flavor.
Also I use "Taboo" flavoring sometimes.

Again, welcome.

Moonflame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Smith Mt Lake area, Va, USA
There has been a lot of research done (since 1946) on inhaling PG. It has been tested by the medical field and is used by them to deliver medicine that has to be inhaled and as a microbiotic to clean hospitals (in vaporized form). It has been tested to clean by the military and passed all tests, they choose to go with another method that was cheaper. It has been tested for use in fog machines for those who will be heavily exposed due to working in stage shows (rock concerts, shows like Phantom that use a ton of fog). There is a lot of information on vapersclub.com about the various tests that have been done over the past 60 years. I checked it out when my mother was concerned over what I was going to be inhaling and it totally reassured me to read the plethora of testing that has been done.

I didn't know there were e-cigarettes until the FDA weighed in on it recently. By searching I finally found this Forum and registered yesterday. My order from MyVaporStore for a 801 kit has been shipped.

Looks like the FDA is good for something after all.

And welcome.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

misterME

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
Charleston, SC - USA
Also I believe that either PG or VG is used as a vapor medium in medical inhalers for all kinds of medications, perhaps some research in this direction might yield results on actual studies of effects of use.

It sounds like mab's biggest concern is for the particulate formed by the added flavoring in the e-liquid solution, whether or not that had been tested as inhaled versus digested. I'm not sure what kind of studies have been done on that, since this is the only type of device I'm aware of that allows you to inhale food-grade flavoring.

I now I'm reassured to know that PG and VG are considered safe to inhale by the government and military. (Of course, they've missed the mark on safety on other issues, so who knows...)

Vapinginmyboots

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
Upstate NY, USA
Welcome to the forum! I hear ya on these concerns about what we are replacing our analogs with. I been vaping only for a good while and often wonder myself. It may be a good mindset to use the e-cig for as long as it takes to eliminate the cravings for an analog (for me, about a month, no more lust for those things whatsoever) and then consider getting off of the e-cig in your own way ASAP. I have made the choice to continue vaping and stocking up until a ban, then do a little chemistry :) and cut my juice to 0, these things may accumulate in my lungs or something, but that is a risk im willing to take and many others here as well, but if I were to set my mind to it, I know I couldve given it up after about a month way more easily than cold turkey on regular cigarettes. Vaping changes the nature of the beast in terms of nicotine addiction. Beauty of it all is, its up to you and good luck!

Duckies

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Philly
PG is used to 'suspend' such items as the nicotine inhaler and asthema medication (among others) because of its ability to produce vapor as it does in smoke machines in theatrical productions.

As to the other ingredients, there is a study done by Health New Zealand that goes into a lot more detail.

Your concerns are valid.

I took my health into my own hands by making the switch and I will live with the consequences. As tempting as many flavors are, I will not vape anything with oils or artificial colorings. Does this limit me? Yes -- but thats just how I am personally going about this because it is unknown.

All I know is that I feel better, sleep better and breathe better once I stopped inhaling smoke from burning chemicals, so this is not a medical reply, nor should it be construed as such.

:)

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

shivadance

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Nebraska, USA
In regards to flavorings/oils/coloring, here's a nifty website I found in the forum somewhere regarding LorAnns candy flavorings:

http://www.exogenesis.co.uk/Loranne1.htm

I've heard it said to avoid actual oils and artificial colors. I prefer liquids without artificial colors but have been known to vape some pretty dark concoctions because they were very yummy. But this might help you out some!

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Although I have no medical knowledge, I can't help thinking that because we are inhaling 'steam' rather than smoke, the particulates and chemicals in the steam are far smaller and more likely to be absorbed into the bloodstream than they are to clog up the lungs. I think that's why everyone is experiencing improving lung functions. And the question is, does it clog up the bloodstream or get removed naturally. The body seems to be quite well designed for cleaning out the things it doesn't want. I actually think my lungs are improving better than if I had simply become a non-smoker but that could just be my imagination.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread