Any Sunfire users? I sure am!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scalewiz

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
Just wondering if anyone has tried the ego Sunfire on iVape? Just got mine in 2 days ago. The thing is actually pretty sweet! Looks good, like a Stardust without the curvature. Goes straight up, and has a larger diameter top/screw section. Just a couple mm larger in diameter than an ego battery.

Filled it up with juice to give it a try; popped it on one of their VariStacks (got it the same day, and for the price I really dig it) and set it for 3.0 volts. First impression wasn't that great, though it did make TONS of vapor. Kept using it as it was decent, but at about a half tank down it really opened up. The coil and wick were breaking in good, and performance improved greatly. After a full tank, I could raise it up to 3.5 volts with this juice. Puts out HUGE amounts of vapor. Took the unit off and measured coil resistance and came up with 2.1 ohms. This is quite low resistance, but that's what I want. I got a pack of replacement innards along with my order, so I opened one up and measured it; 2.1 ohms on it also. That would explain why I don't need real high voltage with them. Even on an ego battery they put out more vapor than just about anything else I have ever used on one. Flavor is slightly muted compared to a good working CE2; somewhere between a CE2 and a carto. I don't use cartos for just that reason. Construction so far is holding up well, but we will see in the long run. No leaks at all, not one drop of liquid in my mouth, not a single gurgle. I am now on my fourth tank and all is well. Right now I'm vaping Gummy Bears; not the lightest juice, not the darkest.

Anyway, I was so impressed I sat down the same night and ordered plenty more. I should have enough to go a year or longer :ohmy:! But I'll pass some around to other vapers to sample. I notice that it says on the site to "get them before they are gone", so if you want to try these, jump in now. Really hate to see these things go away as they have impressed me more than anything else lately. I give these two thumbs up!

scalewiz

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
Just had my first failure. The top mouthpiece seperated from the metal thread portion, and it wouldn't screw down tight and seal. Even got a little gurgle and taste of juice. No problem, though. Poured out the juice into a bottle and changed devices. When I got home, I took it apart completely, and rinsed it out. Took the mouthpiece and scraped the inside where the metal threaded portion goes to remove any excess old glue, and kind of rough up the surface a little. Used fine emery paper and lightly roughed up the metal portion. Smeared super glue gel inside the mouthpiece, coating it completely, and reinserted the metal threaded section, and set it aside to dry.

Took the coil portion, and removed the silicone cap and the silicone wick well portion, and also the little metal cap on the tube. Rinsed everything well in water. Screwed the coil back down inside the tube, and did a dry burn on the coil.

Put everything back together, refilled with liquid, and it vaped just like when it was new! No more leaking; mouthpiece is now tight. So far, the mouthpiece was the weakest link, but so far, it is fixable. Now on fill #5 with the original tube, coil and other pieces.

scalewiz

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
Well, that only partially worked. Seems the mouthpiece had a small crack up toward the mouth end; almost too small to see until juice would very, very slowly seep through. Luckily, I had some black heat shrink tubing just the size of the mouthpiece large end. Cut off a chunk and very carefully shrunk it from the mouth end down. When shrunk, trimmed off the extra on the end. This heat shrink is the kind with a meltable liner so it provides a perfect airtight seal. Looks as good as new, but now it's a little softer on the teeth.

Of course, since I like to play, while I had it apart I took the coil out and removed the top silicone cap and metal washer on top, exposing the coil. I took another very short piece of wick and slid it down the groove until it rested on top of the other wick, and then trimmed it to the same length as the original wick; sort of a dual/dummy wick. I then cut two very small grooves in the silicone cap 180 degrees apart so that it wouldn't pinch the new wick when it was slid on. I put it back together and refilled.

Now running it at 4 volts and works great, which puts it at 8 watts. Only thing is, you gotta hit this thing like you mean it! No wasting time; shorter, faster draws work best. Still mutes the flavor as it originally did, but the vapor is still unreal! (I measured the coil resistance and it new measures 2 ohms, which at 4 volts gives the 8 watt figure).

kno

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2009
Myrtle Beach, SC, USA
I talked with the manufacturer about this problem, they are fixing it. I'm working on trying to get some replacement mouthpieces, the first run of sunfires, a few caps had an issue with splitting after time with a little pressure, it's definitely something we'll try and get fixed, or replacement mouthpieces for.

scalewiz

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
Another tip that might help, but you have to be willing to play a little.

On taking the top silicone cap off to expose the coil, I noticed that the coil was wound rather tightly together. All of the windings were concentrated in the center area of the wick which would seem to concentrate all the heat in one small area. I put on my 'super glasses', and grabbed my dental pick. Reaching down into the tube through the side slots, I used the pick to gently grab the end windings and pull them to the outside of the wick, thereby spreading the soil windings over the entire wick width, instead of just the center. Reassembled the unit, and it works great. It seemed to allow me to add another half a volt without causing burning.

kno

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2009
Myrtle Beach, SC, USA
I've had the same problem with the cap splitting, but I just absolutely love these things! Getting replacement caps would be awesome as the rest of the carto is still in perfect condition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I promise we're working on it, and will offer free replacement caps on their next order to any person who had this issue on their first order - or who will receive a version with the old cap - just got to get the factory on their butts to get us our latest shipment.

scalewiz

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
Noticed your stock was getting low...ordered another 20! But, I had to get them in colors. No problem...keep 'em comin'.

The cap doesn't bother me. Put another one online a couple days ago, and the threads just separated. Used the super glue and heat shrink trick and everything is fine. I actually like the softer feel of the tubing. Most people out there ain't gonna like this aspect, though. However, I still plan on using these regularly.

vapordraggin101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
Hi, here's a problem I'm wondering if there's a fix for or if anyone else has experienced this.

I bought 3 Sunfires and using them in rotation, they really performed well then one stops working after 6 or so refills, I figured it was the replaceable coil so I was down to 2 Sunfires, then a few days later another one quits and being down to 1 tank, I reorder 2 new sunfires and 10 coils thinking I would have 5 total tanks to rotate, by the time my order gets here my last one had quit after a few more days of vaping.

When my coils came in I put the new coils in the older sunfire tank and they would not fire, luckly I had ordered 2 more sunfires. I opened the new sunfires and one of them wouldn't fire, I put a new coil in and it worked so I had a new sunfire that came with a bad coil ok no problem but here's the deal.

I tried all my old coils that I thought had went bad in the 2 new sunfires and they all fired but won't fire in the ones they came with, so what could be wrong with the older sunfires?

Gezzz hope this makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread