Any tips on lower sub-ohm coil builds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revelene

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Kentucky, USA
I've been making coils for awhile now... experimenting with different coil setups and wick. Everything from twisted coils to sub-ohm micro coils to dual coil sub-ohm twisted micro coils... but I've been pushing my little AW IMR 18650 2000mah batteries to their amp limit going as low as 0.50 ohms.

Just ordered a few Sony US18650VTC4 batteries and plan on going even lower sub-ohm.

With this new higher amp limit I know that I can go fairly low in resistance but... it never hurts to get a little more advice before jumping in.. even if you have some experience. Any tips?

Revelene

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Kentucky, USA
Yes, don't.

Heh, figured someone would say that. Congrats on being that person.

Is there something you're not getting out of a .5ohm coil that you think going lower will accomplish?

Mhm. More power. Wattage. Science. There are plenty of people like me that hunt for clouds and I want their advice.

jacobmckeone

Oct 23, 2013
Nashville
Make sure you have a resistance meter. Wrap your coils tight and take your time. I consistently build at .2 ohms because I enjoy the heat and I can tell you that if you don't wick it properly you will get dry hits even with a juiced wick. Just take your time and be careful. If you wanna see some of my stuff, check me out on instagram. @jacobmckeone

Silent Solution

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
Wesley Chapel, FL
The lowest I have ever gone is .3 Ohms, and I use the Sony 30 Amp batteries. I think the lowest you can go is .14, but that is pushing the batteries to the max. I like to go a little higher with the ohms just to give the battery some wiggle room per se on the amp limit. The best build I have done is a twisted 28 gauge dual coil in my IGO-W, with two 5/64 airflow holes drilled on it. Make sure you have multi-meter! I used to have one of those little black Ohm testers (got it on Ebay) and it was reading .9 with the above setup. Maybe some are good but mine was not. Anyway, be safe and vape on. If you have any questions ask away.

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach

Mhm. More power. Wattage. Science. There are plenty of people like me that hunt for clouds and I want their advice.

I am not a cloud chaser but I do have two RBA's I have set up for that[running DC's with them]just for kicking back and seeing a room fill up with vaper on two pulls.I keep all of my RBA's at .5 and generally do not go lower because i never had the need because the vape is stellar and it hits hard[of course on a mech.].

bender817

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas

I happen to be guilty of cloud chasing, but I do it for the vape quality as well. I'm not one of the no nic/no flavor, straight vg guys. I use 80/20 vg/pg at 8 mg but I recommend less nic than that. If you can get higher vg, do it. Don't ever go lower than .17 ohms, anything lower than that is not only dangerous, its pointless. 1/8" airholes or slightly bigger, always lined up with coils to cool them. Hit it as hard as you can. Period. If you don't it gets too hot and chokes you. Twist wire. There is plenty of reading material here on ECF and youtube videos as well. It makes the flavor on par with the vapor. This is my favorite build so far. Twisted 28g around a 3/32" drill bit. 1/8" airholes.

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
Heres one of my fav builds:
6 touching wraps of 24Ga kanthal around an 1/8" drill bit with a piece of XC-116 twisted through it. Hits harder than the 28 Ga nanos I have built dual or triple with the same ohmage using cotton.It hits harder than the same wick with 26Ga dual or single, same ohmage. This build is around .55-.6 ohms depending on how far it is from the posts.

I've tried it in my IGO-W as a .25 ohm dual coil with dual 1/8" holes and the only difference was a hotter vape, a shorter draw, and less flavor. I was actually getting more vapor from the higher ohm single coil because I could only handle short draws from the dual. There's also battery life to consider. Chain vaping that low might make your batteries only last a few hours. You might want to try a different build before jumping that low. Those VTC4s are what I use and they hit hard fresh off the charger, there's less V drop at sub ohm compared with most batteries. Heres some pictures of VP on a half charged battery

n9re.JPG

75e4.jpg

Revelene

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Kentucky, USA
I appreciate all the input! Should have the new batteries soon, hopefully by Monday, along with some 24g Kanthal A1. I'll be going for 0.3 ohm and drilling my air holes out a bit. Right now my Igo-W has 5/64 air holes so I'll probably drill them out to 1/8. I believe I would have easily over looked drilling out bigger air holes if it wasn't mentioned... Thanks! Vape on!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Tbaggerr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2013
Portland, OR, USA
As a cloud chaser myself, VTC4's are definitely the way to go! They are supposed to be safe down to 0.15 ohms but I try not to go below 0.2 as to not tax my battery too much. As has already been mentioned, wicking is VERY important at these lower resistances. You will find what works best for you through trial and error. Air flow is also really important. I usually go with around 2mm holes for most builds but that's just preference. I like an airy draw. This is my current build at 0.21 ohms.
Dual super nano on a cotton cloud. 0.21 ohms - YouTube

x5kRf1Al.jpg

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
I must be the only person who loves a 3.0 ohm coil with a Kick2 set at 11 watts....... I hate sub ohm stuff, shorter battery life and things get to hot :evil: for my taste..

Nope I enjoy using my kick's every now and then but,i also enjoy my sub ohm vape especially first thing in the morning and later on in the day.At certain times of the day I like sub ohm'ing and other times of the day I enjoy my kick's,or a regulated device with a coil 1.2-1.5.

Sub ohm vaping is just like different flavors,subjective.Some people love[me]and others do not care for it,it's just that simple.

bender817

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
Stop hittin yourself, Burnie. People are gonna do what they want, but we are all here to help them do it safely and effectively. My all-day-vape is a .8 ohm and I rarely vape anything over 1 ohm right now because I haven't finished my dna20 mod yet. When that happens I will come back towards the light. I don't think I'll ever go back above 1.5 again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Revelene

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Kentucky, USA
Stop hittin yourself, Burnie. People are gonna do what they want, but we are all here to help them do it safely and effectively. My all-day-vape is a .8 ohm and I rarely vape anything over 1 ohm right now because I haven't finished my dna20 mod yet. When that happens I will come back towards the light. I don't think I'll ever go back above 1.5 again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm a stubborn guy haha but I enjoy a 0.8 ohm single coil vape as well... in fact, that is what I am doing at this very moment. But there is just something about building new coils and pushing more power that is enjoyable... At this point it is not for the enjoyment of the vape but more so for the fun of building these setups. I am as careful as I possibly can... I test every build extensively and keep high maintenance on all my mods. I don't let danger stop me from anything... living life being scared of everything is a horrible fate... you'd never get to experience, well, life...

I should be getting the batteries soon and will be posting pictures of my new build :vapor:

Revelene

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Kentucky, USA
Here an update:

Built a 0.37 Ohm dual coil with 28g Kanthal A1. It fires quick. Nice warm thick vapor and couldn't be happier.

Well, it does go through A LOT of liquid heh...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389826881826.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389826881826.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 2,943
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389826993637.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389826993637.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 2,159
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread