Any vaping networks on the roku box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
It's free to develop for the box. It's the hosting and bandwidth for video that's usually a concern. Seems like most of the vendors just upload to youtube.

Costs MAY be offset by advertising or a channel fee. However, there are some advertisers that may not want to be associated with vaping (so much misinformation out there). So you'd have to have a vaping related revenue stream, IMO. Maybe some would pay for a channel. Many more just come to ECF... for free.

It takes time and resources to develop and maintain a channel also. I just read somewhere that 60% of app makers don't get their money back. I don't remember the specific group of app makers (Andriod/iphone/whatever) and IDK if that's true for the Roku platform, but you get the general idea.

Then, you have to have rights to the video. I suppose the vendors may want to contribute professionally shot video... but who knows.

I think it would be a good idea for some of the existing Vape TV Networks to add a channel since they probably have the video and some hosting already. They could also do a live feed. If it is to be a public channel, it has to be approved by Roku.

I guess the questions become (for me): "How do the existing channels pay for storage and bandwidth now?" And "What content library have they accumulated?" Do they keep the rights to what they publish on stickam, for instance? Are they locked in to a particular streaming service?

Also see this link for a discussion of some of them: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/261284-vapetv.html

Last edited:

Ever1ast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
SW FL Gulf Coast
Attypops has some valid points. Nonetheless it would be interesting to see a Vaping specific channel for Roku. I'd watch several of the people out there now doing broadcasts if they were all brought together in one place/channel. Only problem is, not everyone has a Roku; whereas everyone has a computer already.

kevbow

Unregistered Supplier
May 27, 2009
CT
teatimeliquid.com
We are currently looking into creating a VP Live Network channel on Roku. I love my Roku box and currently watch and listen to some of our shows on it.

You can watch The Vapeteam live on Wednesdays nights by going to the Justin TV Channel. It's under the Technology category. You can also watch the replays of the shows on the YouTube channel.

As for the radio shows you can listen to the replays on the Soundcloud channel. Just search for VP Live.

I originally got it to watch Hulu on my TV and was impressed by how much content is on Roku :)

Reactions: baybeebeast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread