Anybody else sick of 3 post / tri-post RDA 's?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
When are we going to see something original!? :facepalm: (Other than the Brass Monkee/Helios, Knight, Viking, Magma, and a small handful of others, basically all drippers are the same tri-post design, with small, nearly insignificant changes to them.)

Hi guys, the title of this post suggests I'm furious about the topic, but I assure you I'm not lol. I'm merely jesting at the overwhelming amount of un-original dripping atomizer designs out there. The tri-post dripper has to be at least 95% of the market right now, and I'm starting to feel like I'm paying for the next cool logo engraved on the side, rather than the actual design of the thing.

Imagine: having a dripper that's designed exactly for the type of build you like most. A post for every connection, and airflow for each individual coil smack-dab in front of it. I like to dual coil, so I'm out of luck, so I end up having to center-post build everything I make. I have to if I want the airflow to hit it evenly, as well as have decent room for wider coils & even wicking.

xKv1eDa.png

LHVU966.png

ilrcWFC.png

Don't get me wrong, I wholly understand it's an economical, functional, and variable design that can't really be beat from a manufacture's standpoint. But that's just a fancy was of saying, cheap, easy, and caters to a broad spectrum (basically all) vapers. Again I want to state clearly that I completely understand, it's a great all-around design, BUT, you gotta admit after you've been vaping for a while, you figure out EXACTLY what type of build you like the most, and rarely stray from that.

Take me for example; all I vape now are dual coils, and I often make them "center post" builds, because I'd like to line up my airflow smack dab in front of the coils, as well as have enough room on either side for equal wicking. Wouldn't it be nice if manufacturers built RDA's that are designed specifically for your type of build, rather than anybody and everybody's? I know there's a massive market out there for only dual coilers, yet there are more drippers out there for novelty quad-coils than there are for dual coil drippers. And single coilers are surely taken care of for sure. (Sorry quad-coilers, I know your out there, I enjoy them from time to time, but I haven't seen that many in my experience, that's what I'm getting at. I've had to have seen literally 100x the amount of single/dual-coil lovers out there.)

In fact, there's only ONE dripper out there designed specifically for dual coils, and that's the Viking RDA, and it has a bottom-feeding airflow, that's non-adjustable, and is very different than what most are used to/prefer. I was recently shopping for a 4 post (2 positive, 2 negative) dripper, that would allow me to build dual coils, and have the airflow directly in front of them, and this experimental dripper is the only one I could find (and maybe 80 of them have been sold.).

I guess all I'm wanting to blurt out is: "When are we going to see something different than the same RDA, over and over, with some slight adjustments made to it. They are all almost identical.

Don't get me wrong, the Tobh Atty is my favorite dripper at the moment, but that's only because it's the best available for my needs.

Check out this awesome design below, which could be made with a little extra effort, and even be made with 4 posts instead of 6 for us dual-coil lovers. I would drown in a puddle of tears from happiness if I could find this with 4 posts, adjustable airflow, and good connections:

I'm seriously about to make my own, because it doesn't exist yet. But when I do, I won't have to bend my coils to the middle of your average tri-post rda, just to get airflow that isn't angled off slightly.

Anybody else understand me? I promise I'm not enfuriated by dripper design, I'm just astounded there isn't one RDA out there that's designed specifically for 2 coils, with symmetrical airflow.

Vape onward y'all, and stay sexy. :vapor:

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
The Origen with coils positioned above the negative screws? The Magma?

I get what you're saying tho... I think. Or... I may not and my suggestions are way off. The standard 3-posts always struck me as somewhat flawed. You're left with the choice between long legs and/or asymmetrical legs or your coils away from the air intake.

Last edited:

supersport13

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2013
United States
When are we going to see something original!? :facepalm: (Other than the Brass Monkee/Helios, Knight, Viking, Magma, and a small handful of others, basically all drippers are the same tri-post design, with small, nearly insignificant changes to them.)

Hi guys, the title of this post suggests I'm furious about the topic, but I assure you I'm not lol. I'm merely jesting at the overwhelming amount of un-original dripping atomizer designs out there. The tri-post dripper has to be at least 95% of the market right now, and I'm starting to feel like I'm paying for the next cool logo engraved on the side, rather than the actual design of the thing.

Imagine: having a dripper that's designed exactly for the type of build you like most. A post for every connection, and airflow for each individual coil smack-dab in front of it. I like to dual coil, so I'm out of luck, so I end up having to center-post build everything I make. I have to if I want the airflow to hit it evenly, as well as have decent room for wider coils & even wicking.

xKv1eDa.png

LHVU966.png

ilrcWFC.png

Don't get me wrong, I wholly understand it's an economical, functional, and variable design that can't really be beat from a manufacture's standpoint. But that's just a fancy was of saying, cheap, easy, and caters to a broad spectrum (basically all) vapers. Again I want to state clearly that I completely understand, it's a great all-around design, BUT, you gotta admit after you've been vaping for a while, you figure out EXACTLY what type of build you like the most, and rarely stray from that.

Take me for example; all I vape now are dual coils, and I often make them "center post" builds, because I'd like to line up my airflow smack dab in front of the coils, as well as have enough room on either side for equal wicking. Wouldn't it be nice if manufacturers built RDA's that are designed specifically for your type of build, rather than anybody and everybody's? I know there's a massive market out there for only dual coilers, yet there are more drippers out there for novelty quad-coils than there are for dual coil drippers. And single coilers are surely taken care of for sure. (Sorry quad-coilers, I know your out there, I enjoy them from time to time, but I haven't seen that many in my experience, that's what I'm getting at. I've had to have seen literally 100x the amount of single/dual-coil lovers out there.)

In fact, there's only ONE dripper out there designed specifically for dual coils, and that's the Viking RDA, and it has a bottom-feeding airflow, that's non-adjustable, and is very different than what most are used to/prefer. I was recently shopping for a 4 post (2 positive, 2 negative) dripper, that would allow me to build dual coils, and have the airflow directly in front of them, and this experimental dripper is the only one I could find (and maybe 80 of them have been sold.).

I guess all I'm wanting to blurt out is: "When are we going to see something different than the same RDA, over and over, with some slight adjustments made to it. They are all almost identical.

Don't get me wrong, the Tobh Atty is my favorite dripper at the moment, but that's only because it's the best available for my needs.

Check out this awesome design below, which could be made with a little extra effort, and even be made with 4 posts instead of 6 for us dual-coil lovers. I would drown in a puddle of tears from happiness if I could find this with 4 posts, adjustable airflow, and good connections:

I'm seriously about to make my own, because it doesn't exist yet. But when I do, I won't have to bend my coils to the middle of your average tri-post rda, just to get airflow that isn't angled off slightly.

Anybody else understand me? I promise I'm not enfuriated by dripper design, I'm just astounded there isn't one RDA out there that's designed specifically for 2 coils, with symmetrical airflow.

Vape onward y'all, and stay sexy. :vapor:

I second! :toast:

Tnumbers

Mar 14, 2014
USA
$18.31 CS-Wolverine Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / 28.4mm diameter / 6-pole at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Another 6 post design, but in a different manner

$10.60 Veritas Style Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

The veritas is something ive never seen before. And is nowhere near basic. Definitely interested in trying it out.

The prometey is also something im anxious to build on, you'll want to look at the last image and enlarge it and see how it works.

Atomizer «PROMETEY»

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
The Origen with coils positioned above the negative screws? The Magma?

I get what you're saying tho... I think. Or... I may not and my suggestions are way off. The standard 3-posts always struck me as somewhat flawed. You're left with the choice between long legs and/or asymmetrical legs or your coils away from the air intake.

Exactly what my point was brother, and I gave credit to the magma :). I did forget the Origen, however that's not mind-blowingly different, but much better than a metal wheel, with a conductive axle, and a few airholes :p.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Plume veil rda might be for u

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input loopy, I was stalking that thing since it was in production lol. When I found out the T-post spins, and the negatives have airflow, I lost my hope for it :/. That just means it's a gold Brass Monkee, with a loose center post, and will leak when you over drip. I do dig the top vaccum airflow system though, that was the smartest innovation about it to me.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
I just got the Magma a few days ago and I love that it has only two posts. No more having to squish my coils off to the side to get it centered. Both my pos and neg legs are short and even.

That's exactly what my unicorn is man :D, the only thing keeping me from buying 2 is the fact that the airflow is too small for my preferences, and it's not drillable :(.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Kinda seems counter-intuitive to change the current design.

A 4 post atty with both coils facing each other is just going to have both air intakes smashing air into each other rather than forming a stream of air running circular inside the top cap.

That's exactly what they do now, if you look at your airflow, you'll see that 99% of the time, the airholes are literally opposing each other, unless your drill your airflow like mine.

5XG8J1g.png

The only difference having 4 posts (2 opposing one another) would make is having less posts in the way :), which is a good thing. If vapor/airflow crashes into one another, this isn't a bad thing, in fact in vaping physics, turbulence actually helps creat vapor, which basically "whips" the air up.

However as you can see above, if you drill your airflow staggered like this (sorry for the terrible drilling, that was my first cap I drilled), it actually creates a cyclonic effect making the vape at least 1.5x better, especially if your a chaser of the fog such as myself. If you like dual coils, 4 posts would be such a better design, and the airflow could even be designed to not "crash" into itself if you'd rather it not, but it doesn't do anything negative anyway, or if the manufacturer doesn't, you can drill the holes similar to how I did above.

Imagine having your vapor go straight into the center of the chamber, and have nothing to run into :D. That's what I want to make, because it doesn't exist.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
$18.31 CS-Wolverine Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / 28.4mm diameter / 6-pole at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Another 6 post design, but in a different manner

$10.60 Veritas Style Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

The veritas is something ive never seen before. And is nowhere near basic. Definitely interested in trying it out.

The prometey is also something im anxious to build on, you'll want to look at the last image and enlarge it and see how it works.

Atomizer «PROMETEY»

I've owned the Achilles, Prometey, and the Viking :p. They are all great flavor monsters, but they dry hit easy because the coils are far from the juice, and the airholes are too small for my vaping style. Beautiful atty's but just not for me.

That wolverine is awesome, it's like an 18650 cerberus clone! Thanks for sharing.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Lacking imagination?

My Omega only has 3 post.
2mm Nano Quad Dragon Coils tilted 45 degrees running at .67
Plenty of Cloud and Tons of Flavor.
Oh, also - Works great because it is miss-drilled - 3mm air holes align with center post. :D

So what your saying is, you have to build a "center-post" build for your airflow to work properly?

I have imagination galor, in fact that's why I force my coils into the center of my decks to make them line up with the airflow. I build my super-nano coils at a 45 too, because that's just the best way to aim those cannons (well slightly lower), and tie a hitch knot made of cotton so it doesn't back out with the extreme vapor output.

You missing my point: I'd like to see a dripper that works for me, not one that doesn't make my imagination work for it. I have to use imagination every single time I build to get the vaping physics perfect to how I want them with the 3 post design. The Omega was my first dripper, it was a decent atty, the only thing I didn't like is how the airflow is decided for you, and how the airflow made the deep drip well that gets in your way while building, leak. I wished mine had been drilled so the airflow was in the middle :/. Mine was on the side.

Believe me though, I can make the coils work for me, here's some imagination :p. I'm a "cloud chaser" in search of big vapor and big flavor, and these wierd ones have been amazing in the past.

Centered micro-coils, cut in half to be as wide as airflow...vertically. Love me some vertical vapor.

G3CeWJ9.png

Lately I've been absolutely addicted to Gplat 22ga elite, because I can build these MASSIVE coils, and still stay ludicrously low ohms. This is the fastest, warmest, most surface area'd center post I've ever built.

TNZKObH.png

.5 seconds after ignition

N7adUz0.png

Clouds for days son, and equally good vapor. This build is like a wholesome Guinness beer, that makes others feel like Coors light. With big vapor, comes big flavor...that's my motto.

cOpMuw0.png

I couldn't fit the clouds in the pic lol.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Thanks again reeftivo for the shout out on the 454 big block.

This thing is as epic as it's name, it looks to be the most perfect dripper for me out at the moment, I have one on it's way! It's a genuine (looks to be) well built, nicely designed dripper for $85, which is damm fair to me. It's what I've been hoping for, a magma with airflow for clouds!

Check this beast out!

Loopy1224

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2014
Brick, New Jersey
Thanks for the input loopy, I was stalking that thing since it was in production lol. When I found out the T-post spins, and the negatives have airflow, I lost my hope for it :/. That just means it's a gold Brass Monkee, with a loose center post, and will leak when you over drip. I do dig the top vaccum airflow system though, that was the smartest innovation about it to me.

Seriously i havent had any leaking and the flavor is on par with my Magma which does leak more than i would like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vampyrex13

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2014
United States
That's exactly what my unicorn is man :D, the only thing keeping me from buying 2 is the fact that the airflow is too small for my preferences, and it's not drillable :(.
You can drill it out actually. Instead of a drill bit, you would use a router bit to elongate the inside airflow holes since you can't increase the diameter die to the thin wall between the juice well. The outer airflow holes can still be enlarged with a regular drill bit though. Honestly, I like the airflow on mine. I keep it set at the middle setting for more flavor and denser clouds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread