Anybody seen these??? Efest 18350 10.5 amp?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
whats the verdict on these? need to rest my aw's soon :)
Test/Review of Efest IMR18350 700mAh (Purple) 2014

They're a good cell, can handle the real advertised 10.5A continuously but they have a very short life at 10.5A, luckily they charge right back up very quickly. I own two of the flat tops and have routinely used them as low as .45 ohms and they don't even get warm at that resistance. Very happy with them, just have to get past the short battery life of 18350 sized cells.

anumber1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
NW Ohio
Would someone mind dumbing it down for me (or pointing me in the direction of a thread that does)?

I've always thought that the only real assessment of a battery and it's quality is how long they last. And it's ability to not blow up.
OK.

Long lasting is expressed in milliamp hours. Abbreviated mAh. The larger the number, the longer the runtime.

Ability to not blow up is expressed in Amp rating. The higher the maximum continuous amp draw a battery is rated for, the more robust the ability that battery has to supply current.

Other blow up considerations are the chemical make up of a particular battery. IMR and IMR/hybrids are considered safer than ICR batteries.

Check member Baditude's blogs or browse this forum a bit. He posts links to this information daily.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Would someone mind dumbing it down for me (or pointing me in the direction of a thread that does)?

I've always thought that the only real assessment of a battery and it's quality is how long they last. And it's ability to not blow up.
Just two years ago people were recommending to use only protected ICR li-ion batteries for mods, as it was believed at that time that the built-in IC made the battery safe to use. The problem with that belief was, should those simple circuits fail the chemistry of ICR batteries would allow these batteries to vent flames and possibly explode during battery failure.

This battery chemistry had high mah capacity but were low drain (only 3 - 4 amps continuous).

mod-explosion-3.jpg mod-explosion-1.jpg battery & mod explosion

With recent improvements in modern battery technology, IMR (also called Li-Mn, unprotected, safe-chemistry, and high-drain) batteries are now the recommended batteries to use in mods in place of ICR. They use safer chemistry than ICR. This battery chemistry is more tolerent to stress and heat production. And although they may still vent gas during failure, there will be less likelihood for flames or explosion. Until recently, they lacked the mAh capacity of ICR batteries, but actually have more burst power (amps) than ICR batteries. The even newer IMR/hybrid batteries have both high drain capability and higher mah capacity. Some even have amp capacities of 20 - 30 amps continuous discharge.

Before the advent of regulated mods and rebuildable atomizers (RBA) using sub-ohm coils in them, consideration of a battery's amp rating was considered relatively unimportant to battery consumers. With these devices, a high drain battery needs to be used because of higher energy requirements.

The lower the resistance of the coils being built (RBA sub-ohm coils), the higher the need for more amps from the battery. A coil that pulls more amps than the battery is rated for will cause that battery to go into thermal runaway, resulting in venting of extremely hot gases capable of second degree burns. You don't want this to happen in a metal tube mod without adequate venting or it could potentially become a pipe bomb.

Note how the amp requirements increase the lower in ohms you build your coils:

1.0 ohm = 4.2 amp draw
0.9 ohm = 4.6 amp draw
0.8 ohm = 5.2 amp draw
0.7 ohms = 6 amp draw
0.6 ohms = 7 amp draw
0.5 ohms = 8.4 amp draw
0.4 ohms = 10.5 amp draw
0.3 ohms = 14.0 amp draw
0.2 ohms = 21.0 amp draw
0.1 ohms = 42.0 amp draw
0.0 ohms = dead short = thermal runaway

If you take anything away from this discussion:

• Use only IMR or IMR/hybrid batteries in your mods. There is a list of these batteries here: Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?

• Do not use protected or un-protected ICR Li-ion batteries. You can consider these batteries to be obsolete for use in mods.

• Use the correct battery for the application that you will use them in. If using sub-ohm coils, you will need a higher amp IMR/hybrid battery like the Sony VTC series.

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries

Rechargeable Batteries

Ohm's Law for Dummies

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread