Anyone allergic to handling wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
My hands have broken out ---I get some small dots and then a small blister. It seems like an allergy - does not seem to be catching and I thought maybe I was sensitive to something.

Been racking my brain and the only really different thing is that I started making coils. I've been handling premade ones and also coiling my own.

I was wondering is anyone else has had a similar experience?

I have no problem vaping - just handling - I am using Kanthal.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
IDK. If it were a true allergy, I'd think it might show up as you vaped, although I guess it's possible the coil isn't "giving off" too much of anything during the vaping process.

You could try annealing your wire first, especially if it's kanthal. That may change the wire properties enough that you can handle it without getting a rash. My understanding is that heating wire will change it's properties to the point that you might be able to handle it if you ran a blowtorch over it for a few passes, to heat then cool the wire.

You could also try stainless steel instead, if you haven't. There may be something in kanthal that just doesn't agree with your skin. I'd go with stainless steel first as it can be run in wattage and temperature control, and you may not get a rash handling it. Like kanthal, you can anneal it first if you want.

Best of luck-- your other choice would be to wear very thin, I might suggest silicone gloves, as they're not as bulky, gloves when you coil, build and install.. I wouldn't love doing this myself, but it may help and be worth the slight extra annoyance to avoid a rash on your hands.

Best of luck,

Anna

• Useful
Reactions: chellie

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Thanks for your thoughts and the tips. I have a box of non-latex form fitting disposable gloves that I use when picking up after my dogs so I plan on wearing those gloves when I handle the wire again. It is not exactly a rash, it starts off as little pin size dots and then in a few days a blister forms around the dot and then it goes away. Weird!

I have very few sensitivities to things so that is why I think it is the wire.

That is a great idea about the stainless steel wire and I am going to order some.

I see that Temco sells a variety of annealed wire --- Anna - do you or anyone else know of any companies that sell premium quality annealed wire?

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't, actually but I haven't really needed to. I annealed SS in the beginning because it was somewhat springier, but I actually enjoy using my blowtorch. I could see how buying pre annealed wire could be helpful, though, so if you've found some I'd say go for it although I'm sure others will have suggestions.

Anna

Reactions: chellie

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I don't, actually but I haven't really needed to. I annealed SS in the beginning because it was somewhat springier, but I actually enjoy using my blowtorch. I could see how buying pre annealed wire could be helpful, though, so if you've found some I'd say go for it although I'm sure others will have suggestions.

Anna
Thanks. I am pretty handy (and I agree it's fun) but would prefer to just buy it due to some of the relatives that are in my home. I think I found one. They had some very good reviews. I will see if anyone has any suggestions - if not I will try this....

SS316L Wire 100ft Spool

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Thanks. I am pretty handy (and I agree it's fun) but would prefer to just buy it due to some of the relatives that are in my home. I think I found one. They had some very good reviews. I will see if anyone has any suggestions - if not I will try this....

SS316L Wire 100ft Spool

Advanced Vape Supply

I am not sure if their wire is pre annealed but you could contact them and ask. They have a large selection of SS wire in spools or premade coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread