Anyone good with Trigonometry??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kodykills

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Mt.Carmel, Ill
Hello all, i am taking a trigonometry class in college and im horrible at math. Well word problems at least... i was hoping, since this site is full of intelligent people, i could get some help with this problem.... here goes.

The angle of elevation from the top of a house to a jet flying 2 miles above the house is x radians. If d represents the horizontal distance, in miles, of the jet from the house, express d in terms of a trigonometric function.

SOS SOS SOS please help!! lol

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
Truely amazing what you can find googling ! Wow duck !

I use it,all of the time, to help find my TV remote

man today i tried googling it, and i couldent get any results. awesomeness. thanks

I am a Google Master... and you're welcome :)

LGD

---------------------------------

Typed using Google Chrome Browser

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
  • Deleted by Lightgeoduck
  • Reason: a duck's quack isn't suppose to echo

kodykills

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Mt.Carmel, Ill
ok ok ok i got two more.. i dont think these are googleable. here goes

The loudness level of a sound can be expressed by comparing the sounds intensity to the intensity of a sound barely audible to the human ear. The formula : D=10(logI - log I0) describes the loudness level of a sound, D, in decibels, where I is the intensity of the sound, in watts per meter^2, and I0 is the intensity of a sound barely audible to the human ear.
A. express the formula so that the expression in parentheses is written as a single logarithm.
B. Use the form of the formula from part A to answer this question: If a sound has an intensity 100 times the intensity of a softer sound, how much larger on the decible scale is the loudness level of the more intense sound?

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
ok ok ok i got two more.. i dont think these are googleable. here goes

The loudness level of a sound can be expressed by comparing the sounds intensity to the intensity of a sound barely audible to the human ear. The formula : D=10(logI - log I0) describes the loudness level of a sound, D, in decibels, where I is the intensity of the sound, in watts per meter^2, and I0 is the intensity of a sound barely audible to the human ear.
A. express the formula so that the expression in parentheses is written as a single logarithm.
B. Use the form of the formula from part A to answer this question: If a sound has an intensity 100 times the intensity of a softer sound, how much larger on the decible scale is the loudness level of the more intense sound?

You couldn't even try to google it? :facepalm:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Hello all, i am taking a trigonometry class in college and im horrible at math. Well word problems at least... i was hoping, since this site is full of intelligent people, i could get some help with this problem.... here goes.

The angle of elevation from the top of a house to a jet flying 2 miles above the house is x radians. If d represents the horizontal distance, in miles, of the jet from the house, express d in terms of a trigonometric function.

SOS SOS SOS please help!! lol

I found the problem through Google. You should be able to also.

Before you Google, try finding the theory in your book or online course of study. If you can't work the problems, you need to review the material ... Been there, done that. You won't be allowed to Google on the final.

Last edited:

bassnut

Crumby Jokes
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I really suck at math.
As an adult I went back to college and took a Trig course. I Got a "D".
Later I challenged myself to try again and got a "B".
Still later I took some courses in electronics which included a course in math for electronics and lo and behold it was the same Trig!
I easily aced that course because of my previous efforts coupled with the realization that it was actually useful for something.
...or maybe it was the Texas Instruments calculator that made the difference. I forget which....

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I got easy A's in geometry and trig. I worked hard to get a high C in college algebra, due to my non-interest of the subject in high school. Had I learned the theorems, it would have been a snap. In calculus, I fully understood the concepts, but somewhere in a page of calculations, my algebra would fail me and I'd get the wrong answer. Even with partial credit, I went into the final with a C and made a D after the final. Combining terms to solve down to X was my weakness. I could never manage to solve for X with a string of terms on each side of the equal sign. :)

bassnut

Crumby Jokes
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'm going to trot this link out again and see if it gets another chuckle.

Calculus anybody?

http://avconline.avc.edu/jdisbrow/whymath.html

"It's true! Gals all over campus are "getting with" the big swing to MATH because they realize that a guy who knows his numbers is a guy you can count on.
So why not:

Add to your income

Subtract dreariness from your life

Multiply your opportunities for advancement

Divide and conquer the girl (or guy) of your dreams"

Safira

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2009
Plainfield,IL
This is the only explanation as to why my son is actually looking forward to calculus his junior and senior year. He is taking 2 math classes this year just so he can get pre-cal jr year, and sr year have calculus under his belt. He knows he will not be able to ask his parents for help, we've made that clear.

I'm going to trot this link out again and see if it gets another chuckle.

Calculus anybody?

http://avconline.avc.edu/jdisbrow/whymath.html

"It's true! Gals all over campus are "getting with" the big swing to MATH because they realize that a guy who knows his numbers is a guy you can count on.
So why not:

Add to your income

Subtract dreariness from your life

Multiply your opportunities for advancement

Divide and conquer the girl (or guy) of your dreams"

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Calculus is the easy way to unravel lots of complex problems if you are good at it. That is made evident by the blackboards on the science and astronomy shows today. If only I had known that when I was yawning in algebra class!

Math is intriguing to me. Some people just have a knack for it and others (like me) have to work at it. When I was taking math classes in college, a guy at work had a head full of the stuff I was taking and he could quote and work the problems in his head as I talked about them. Of course, we all have our strengths. He was also the guy who came to me or rang my cellphone when he got neck deep into troubleshooting electronic problems. To him, I was the guy with the answers. Life is strange ... go figure.

I have to agree that advanced math is a plus to have in your pocket before launching a career. The more, the better. I have a friend who is working on his doctorate in economics. He never left college. He was hired as a professor's assistant and is now teaching classes in math and economics. He will eventually make $150,000 a year at Clemson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread