Anyone have an early iStick 50W that hasn't burned out...and are you willing to peek inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Part of an article I'm writing for the Vaping360 web site deals with the istick 50W problem. After examining a burnt out unit and a new one I have a good idea what may be the cause. But, I need the codes (text) written on a certain component from an early istick 50W that has not burned out yet. This has to be a unit that was purchased during or before everyone started having problems with that model.

If you have an old unit, and you're willing to peek inside, please let me know. If you prefer, I'd be happy to buy the unit from you if you're sure it's an early one.

Thanks!

Reactions: Foggy Road

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    The 50W uses a twitchy type of capacitor that is very sensitive to being run too hot. If abused, these capacitors (tantalum capacitors) don't fail quietly. They catch fire and burn very aggressively.

If the early 50W's used a lower voltage version of this capacitor then that would explain why they caught fire. You need to run them at about 1/3 their voltage rating if they are getting hot or being used in a power supply circuit...both of which happen in the 50W.

It's the biggest component on the board, facing the cells. It might be black or yellow-orange and perhaps have "157C" as part of the text on it.

alexmot

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2015
    Louisiana, USA
    The 50W uses a twitchy type of capacitor that is very sensitive to being run too hot. If abused, these capacitors (tantalum capacitors) don't fail quietly. They catch fire and burn very aggressively.

If the early 50W's used a lower voltage version of this capacitor then that would explain why they caught fire. You need to run them at about 1/3 their voltage rating if they are getting hot or being used in a power supply circuit...both of which happen in the 50W.

It's the biggest component on the board, facing the cells. It might be black or yellow-orange and perhaps have "157C" as part of the text on it.

Another for reference. Bought mine in February if I recall.

64cd858846a79bcb10263e0563e493fd.jpg

Moonface

ECF Veteran
    Jan 24, 2015
    I bought 2 when they first came out. One came in a hard sealed cardboard box with packaging, the other came in a flimsy card board box with no packaging, which also had part of the authentication sticker removed. Was that a clone??? Hard box version died after I spilt cup of tea on it! Flimsy version is in my hand now, works great but needs new battery's.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I bought 2 when they first came out. One came in a hard sealed cardboard box with packaging, the other came in a flimsy card board box with no packaging, which also had part of the authentication sticker removed. Was that a clone??? Hard box version died after I spilt cup of tea on it! Flimsy version is in my hand now, works great but needs new battery's.

It might be a clone, I can't tell though. If it's working well then it might not matter if it's a clone or not. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread