Anyone notice a difference in flavoring sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeLee26

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2016
Hatfield , Kentucky
Ok has anyone ever noticed a taste difference in different size flavorings. I have had a problem with Capella blueberry jam. I love it so much. So I got a 4oz bottle from ecigexpress. It is not nowhere near the same a 13 ml bottles I have bought. Not as sweet or as blueberry an kinda a perfume smell This is really bothering me so much. Have already called both Capella an ecigexpress their answers didn't make me happy. So has anyone ever not been happy with a 4 oz bottle of flavor compared to 13 ml?

Last edited:
Reactions: IDJoel

LeeLee26

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2016
Hatfield , Kentucky
Oh I will edit. It is the taste. Not as good at all really disappointed. Ecigexpress said that they just reship. Not their problem. Capella looked it up for me an told me when it expires. In a year. Then told me that they have had people say that the bigger bottles are not as potent as a 13ml.And that it is all poured from same batch but the little bottles tend to be stronger. But just to use more. An that don't work.just gets nasty

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Oh they also said that they don't re bottle. That it is sealed from Capella.If I would have gotten this 4oz bottle first, I would never have reordered it. It is not at all good.

Did you shake it up really well before you mixed? Settling can occur and it might not be apparent looking through the bottle for color difference.

I've thought the same thing and after shaking the next time the flavor improved. That could have been imagined, but I was happy with the next batch. I've started shaking flavors for 20 or 30 seconds before using. It can't hurt to try.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have some 4 ounce flavorings but they are TFA. And I am with DaveP on the shaking before use. I even shake my smaller bottles before I begin mixing. I made myself do it when I first started DIY and now its just a habit.

You'd think that USPS would shake them up well during transit. But then, there's shelf time before we use it, so they could settle. Not all flavors are homogenized, so settling is a possibility. If you shake it, that eliminates one possible cause. :)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I have mixed up a batch of the Caps blueberry jam in OP but I only have the 13 ml bottle, and had to add 1-2% marshmellow before it was vapeable for my taste. Of all the bb's I have tried my favorite is TFA's bb extra. A mix of bb extra and TFA's bb wild is good also.

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
@LeeLee26, have you changed your gear?
I vaped 10% Cap Hazelnut 2% sweetener for over a year and loved it. When I finally got tired of re-ordering 30ml bottles and bought a 4oz. bottle of the same flavor, it seemed like it wasn't the same.....
I just didn't enjoy it anymore.
BUT my gear changed also, and I never tried to lower the % on my recipe. This may be what you need to try if you haven't yet.

Reminds me, I should take my own advise and re-visit my beloved hazelnut.

Then again you may just be over this flavor.
:toast:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I seem to be constantly changing and adding to my flavor collection so I have only purchased 2 4oz. bottles (and neither was Capella's). I had no issues with either one.

But, while I was reading your's, and the other's posts, I did have some possible causes come to mind. I could also be completely off the mark so feel free to cry "Baloney!" or simply ignore me. :D

My thoughts in no particular order:

1. As previously mentioned: settling or separation. I have no idea about Capella flavors, but I know TFA at least cautions that certain flavors can separate or have particulates form in a few flavors. They note that this can be reversed by shaking and/or gentle warming (with shaking) to re-blend the concentrate.

2. Hand in had with #1: temperature exposure. From making a couple of my own concentrates from crystals (menthol, EM), I have learned that any given carrier (PG, VG, PGA, water) has a saturation point, where it will no longer dissolve and keep in solution, a particular ingredient, and it is different for each. Heat will accelerate this and temporarily increase this level of saturation (super saturating the carrier). But, once it returns to room temp, the excess concentrate falls back out of solution. So, I would think, the opposite would hold true too.

If your most recent purchase was exposed to any of the cold weather we have had this winter (e.g. while in transit) it is possible that it caused something to drop out of solution. Perhaps a very gentle warming (maybe 85-90F) followed by a vigorous shaking might(?) help.

3. Age? You mentioned that Capella was able to tell you you could expect a year's shelf life on your 4oz. Do you still have your 13mL bottle? Perhaps they could tell you how much of an age difference there is/isn't.

My thinking here is if there is a considerable difference; maybe maturity (like a wine aging well), or staleness (flavor fade) could be an influence.

If you feel, or Capella gave you the impression, this 4oz. bottle is on the young side, you might park it away for a few months and then revisit.

4. Did you buy both from the same vendor (ecigexpress)? How long it was sitting in the warehouse (age), warehouse conditions (temp, light exposure), might have some influence.

5. Did you ask, or did Capella mention, if BBJ is one of their flavors that is/has undergone reformulation? I think they have a list somewhere on the company website of flavors that they are reformulating. Could this be one of them and you liked the old formulation but don't care for the new?

6. Just plain old bad luck: I imagine Capella does what it can to maintain consistency. But, I would guess, they are not immune to one slipping by. perhaps it was the very first bottle poured off of a master batch and had not been fully blended, or it was the last bottle out and the master batch experienced a bit of separation.

7. Your own palate has changed: have you noticed any other identifiable changes in flavors you once liked/hated and now hate/like? I don't know how long it has been since you last had BBJ. If it was recent you can probably toss this idea right out the window.

I am sorry you have had such a disappointing experience. I am a little surprised neither ecigexpress nor Capella offered to replace it. That does not sound like very good customer service.

I also wouldn't throw in the towel on this particular flavor yet either. If this specific bottle is not salvageable; I would try ordering one more time from a different vendor and see if it is any better.

I hope you can find a happy resolution. Best wishes! :D

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South
I seem to be constantly changing and adding to my flavor collection so I have only purchased 2 4oz. bottles (and neither was Capella's). I had no issues with either one.

But, while I was reading your's, and the other's posts, I did have some possible causes come to mind. I could also be completely off the mark so feel free to cry "Baloney!" or simply ignore me. :D

1. As previously mentioned: settling or separation. I have no idea about Capella flavors, but I know TFA at least cautions that certain flavors can separate or have particulates form in a few flavors. They note that this can be reversed by shaking and/or gentle warming (with shaking) to re-blend the concentrate.

2. Hand in had with #1: temperature exposure. From making a couple of my own concentrates from crystals (menthol, EM), I have learned that any given carrier (PG, VG, PGA, water) has a saturation point, where it will no longer dissolve and keep in solution, a particular ingredient, and it is different for each. Heat will accelerate this and temporarily increase this level of saturation (super saturating the carrier). But, once it returns to room temp, the excess concentrate falls back out of solution. So, I would think, the opposite would hold true too.

If your most recent purchase was exposed to any of the cold weather we have had this winter (e.g. while in transit) it is possible that it caused something to drop out of solution. Perhaps a very gentle warming (maybe 85-90F) followed by a vigorous shaking might(?) help.

3. Age? You mentioned that Capella was able to tell you you could expect a year's shelf life on your 4oz. Do you still have your 13mL bottle? Perhaps they could tell you how much of an age difference there is/isn't.

My thinking here is if there is a considerable difference; maybe maturity (like a wine aging well), or staleness (flavor fade) could be an influence.

If you feel, or Capella gave you the impression, this 4oz. bottle is on the young side, you might park it away for a few months and then revisit.

4. Did you buy both from the same vendor (ecigexpress)? How long it was sitting in the warehouse (age), warehouse conditions (temp, light exposure), might have some influence.

5. Did you ask, or did Capella mention, if BBJ is one of their flavors that is/has undergone reformulation? I think they have a list somewhere on the company website of flavors that they are reformulating. Could this be one of them and you liked the old formulation but don't care for the new?

6. Just plain old bad luck: I imagine Capella does what it can to maintain consistency. But, I would guess, they are not immune to one slipping by. perhaps it was the very first bottle poured off of a master batch and had not been fully blended, or it was the last bottle out and the master batch experienced a bit of separation.

7. Your own palate has changed: have you noticed any other identifiable changes in flavors you once liked/hated and now hate/like? I don't know how long it has been since you last had BBJ. If it was recent you can probably toss this idea right out the window.

I am sorry you have had such a disappointing experience. I am a little surprised neither ecigexpress nor Capella offered to replace it. That does not sound like very good customer service.

I also wouldn't throw in the towel on this particular flavor yet either. If this specific bottle is not salvageable; I would try ordering one more time from a different vendor and see if it is any better.

Very good solutions!

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
I always use 4oz flavoring bottles sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo i suck at answering this question :D SORRY! (like the game) :D I think shaking is definitely a good idea though. Solutions/mixtures settle so shaking them up helps get the stuff moving around better :D Just like you shake your Nic before use and shake your EM before use (at least i do) Shaking Flavoring is no diff :D

LeeLee26

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2016
Hatfield , Kentucky
Did you shake it up really well before you mixed? Settling can occur and it might not be apparent looking through the bottle for color difference.

I've thought the same thing and after shaking the next time the flavor improved. That could have been imagined, but I was happy with the next batch. I've started shaking flavors for 20 or 30 seconds before using. It can't hurt to try.
. I do but thanks. I also taste test in water

LeeLee26

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2016
Hatfield , Kentucky
I always use 4oz flavoring bottles sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo i suck at answering this question :D SORRY! (like the game) :D I think shaking is definitely a good idea though. Solutions/mixtures settle so shaking them up helps get the stuff moving around better :D Just like you shake your Nic before use and shake your EM before use (at least i do) Shaking Flavoring is no diff :D
So I wonder if a 13 ml bottle would be better tasting to you. :) that is what Capella has told me anyway. I don't know crazy different on this bottle. An all the flavors I have ordered I would really hate to have 4oz bottles sitting to go to waste.i never like any of them. This blueberry jam thou was great

Reactions: IDJoel

LeeLee26

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2016
Hatfield , Kentucky
I have mixed up a batch of the Caps blueberry jam in OP but I only have the 13 ml bottle, and had to add 1-2% marshmellow before it was vapeable for my taste. Of all the bb's I have tried my favorite is TFA's bb extra. A mix of bb extra and TFA's bb wild is good also.
I ordered from ecigexpress tfa blueberry. An it came say signature blueberry I have always wondered which is this. But I can not use it, tried twice an it is kinda a vanilla blueberry or something no steeping didn't help. :) At 8% I love the jam. At least my other bottles of it :/

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
So I wonder if a 13 ml bottle would be better tasting to you. :) that is what Capella has told me anyway. I don't know crazy different on this bottle. An all the flavors I have ordered I would really hate to have 4oz bottles sitting to go to waste.i never like any of them. This blueberry jam thou was great
Well for instance i easily use 50ml of concentrate to make one flavor at any given time sometimes more :D I also dont use capella (over priced) I have loved using TFA and FW and love it But like anything i do shake first. One thing that has me wondering is if you have a larger batch the alcohol or whatever suspension liquid will be more pronounced... So maybe it is less detectable in such small quantities but is still equally present... Its an interesting question though... I know when i went from mixing less than 180ml of a juice to mixing 400+ of a particular flavor i had to really mind my breathing process... just was more prounounced...

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
I ordered from ecigexpress tfa blueberry. An it came say signature blueberry I have always wondered which is this. But I can not use it, tried twice an it is kinda a vanilla blueberry or something no steeping didn't help. :) At 8% I love the jam. At least my other bottles of it :/
Why would you order from a middleman? WHy not order straight from the source?? (its how i do it) and it isnt hard to get a "bulk" or "wholesale" acct with many of them they consider ordering 4oz of a flavor to be such...

LeeLee26

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2016
Hatfield , Kentucky

I am in love with blueberry jam. Just not this 4oz bottle. An Capella said where I didnt ordered it from them they couldn't help. Ecigexpress lost me tho they should have offered for me to return it. My nicotine will be order from heartland an flavor I think Bullcityflavor. See I have never ordered anything from anyone except ecigexpress. That is gonna change

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
I am in love with blueberry jam. Just not this 4oz bottle. An Capella said where I didnt ordered it from them they couldn't help. Ecigexpress lost me tho they should have offered for me to return it. My nicotine will be order from heartland an flavor I think Bullcityflavor. See I have never ordered anything from anyone except ecigexpress. That is gonna change
Order your flavor from the manufacturer!!! Stop going through middlemen who knows how long it will be in their warehouse...

Reactions: LeeLee26
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread