The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Plasti Dip Yo' Mod

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by b0redagain, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. b0redagain

b0redagain Resting in Peace ECF Veteran

Jan 24, 2011
    Denver, CO
    I recently acquired another Silver Bullet, used, and the finish on it left something to be desired. I was looking at cheap options to make this thing look good again and came across Plasti Dip. Plasti Dip is used to add a rubber grip to tools, but some people use it for other things like Plasti Dipping their cars.

I used the spray can version of the matte black. I took the SB apart and masked off the button. Then I tied a string to the threads on the bottom part and another to an atomizer that I connected to the top. Then I hung them up and sprayed them with about 3 coats. On the last coat for the top section I demasked the button and gave it a light coat.

I have to say...this turned out a winner so far. Nice matte black finish and grippy rubber feel.

Before (Olive Drab one on the right):

After:

2. astrocity

astrocity Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    In a haze of vapor
    Looks awesome! What kind of tanks if I might ask?

3. b0redagain

Jan 24, 2011
    Denver, CO
  4. K-rad

K-rad Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Looks great, but over time wouldn't the plastic dip rub off over time? It is a high contact area

5. b0redagain

Jan 24, 2011
    Denver, CO
    I've already pulled off the plasti dip, so I couldn't say exactly how long it will last over time. I could see the button rubbing off but not the hole thing. Next time I do it I'm going to leave the button bare and avoid getting any plasti dip where the two parts of the mod meet to avoid any constant rubbing.

6. 317Vapers

317Vapers Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Indiana
    Plasti Dip is getting very popular in the automotive scene as well. from emblems to wheels to whole vehicles! and if you dont like it peel it off. They even have metallic colors now

7. 328somewhere

328somewhere Full Member Verified Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lexington Park, MD
    I have a can of plastidip in my garage. Guess I know what I am doing tonight.

8. SID3xARM

SID3xARM Full Member Verified Member

Mar 21, 2009
    I actually have a can of plasti dip at home that I haven't figured out what to do with. Well, I know exactly what to do now.

9. TakinToots

TakinToots Full Member Verified Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    thanks for answering my curiosity for the past few days, gotta try it with my new k101 coming soon!

10. Dreaded Vapour

Dreaded Vapour Full Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Pontiac, Michigan
    Does anyone have an update on how this finish is holding up? I am strongly considering applying a heat oxide color effect to my SS Vamo but if it doesn't last or I get tired of it I would like to try this out...

11. Mickey_Star

Mickey_Star Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 8, 2010
    Off The Grid
    Plasti Dip holds up really well if you let it cure for a couple days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.