Anyone remember when a "starter kit" was actually for beginners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
DBrant, I am sure your father appreciates all that you do to help him quit... It really is admirable, as is a vape employee giving him a setup he likes... Well, I think you can certainly find a middle ground setup that will work amid all the posts in here, I guess it's going to be a matter of experimenting... and hopefully finding the right thing without too much effort!

That's too bad that you can't get higher nic strength where you are. But good for you for being an excellent researcher/DIY mixer to your father, I think that's fantastic :)

Anna

Mountain_Rain96

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
Atlanta Ga.
With that being said, I don't look online much for products. I had a Wismec Predator which is a trash device. So I've been looking up mods for myself. I was looking at setups for my dad. He's in his 60s, doesn't need a fancy mod or tank, but apparently that's not a thing anymore..

If your Dad vapes simply to stay off cigs, why not get him something like the JoyeTech Ego Aio, or an Innokin Endura T18? I own both of those, they perform great, and are very straight-forward and simple to use.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Whatever gets you off the cigarettes is the best mod and tank to vape. Juice is important, especially if you require something that fools your mind into thinking that you are smoking.

I vaped for a long time on a Joye 510 cigalike. I quit cigarettes with a Provari, but I promised myself that I would quit when I bought it ($224 with the extra year warranty). After spending that much I had to honor my promise to myself!

What I found was that when I smoked my last cigarette vaping was sufficient to clear my mind of the desire to smoke. I finished the last pack and never smoked another. The cool part was that the need to smoke cigarettes was a mind game after vaping for almost a year and smoking only after meals. I went from 2 PAD down to one with morning coffee and one after each meal for a year. Then I dropped those and never bought another pack.

Just tell yourself that you can only smoke at certain times. Vape all you want. Cut those smoking times by eliminating one cigarette at intervals. You'll get to the point where smoking seems pointless as long as you can vape.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I finally convinced myself that if I'd quit buying cigarettes, I'd stop smoking cigarettes.

That and vaping about 12ml/day of either 12mg or 18mg juice did it.
Holy crap, just saw who you were before the name change. I can be soooo duh!

Hiya! :D

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I finally convinced myself that if I'd quit buying cigarettes, I'd stop smoking cigarettes.

That and vaping about 12ml/day of either 12mg or 18mg juice did it.

24mg juice got me off the cigs with no issues or desires for another one.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I don't use anything I started with and wish I never did.

Charge battery, install battery, start power low and work up until it works.

I don't see a problem.

Low wattage toppers are available, but harder to find.

You have a point there, but I don't consider atty power a way to define starter to advanced by any means.

Most 3 battery mods can happily do 20 watts... or less... For a LONG time.

I guess I define starter differently.

Guns don't kill people, virgins do! -Jim Jeffries

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Totally can see what the OP is stating. But just because a mod can go up to 300W doesn't mean it NEEDS to be used at 300W. That is what those little buttons are for, adjusting the wattage.

I have a 200W dual battery mod. My wife has a single battery mod that is 60W max I believe. She can pick up my mod and adjust it to whatever wattage she likes and vape away. I rarely vape over 45W. I have a dual battery 200W mod because of battery capacity. I can vape ALL day and then some on it at 40W and never worry about being out of batteries.

Exact same thing on my end, recently got a 2 battery mod for the longevity but still imo UIs these days are mostly easy to navigate.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Exact same thing on my end, recently got a 2 battery mod for the longevity but still imo UIs these days are mostly easy to navigate.

At least with a single, double, or triple battery mod you can optimize the vape time by using batteries with high MAH and high Amp ratings.

My triple battery mod only gets used when I'm sitting around at home. Duals get to ride in the car. Singles get to ride in my pocket. The Alien 220W dual is an exception because it's a thin dual battery mod at a little over 1" thick and gives me 2 days vaping on a couple of 30Q's.

My old istick 40W still gives me a day of vaping time. I think it's advertised as a 2600mah internal battery.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
I've not posted here in a dog's age (just came back today actually) looking for something new - and boy, the amount of NEW stuff is just confusing. I started on the original 510, took a sidestep into a coupele of mods, and then went to eGo and stayed there. I buy online juice and drip into the 510 atty - never been interested in 'massive clouds' either. Trying to navigate and learn about the new stuff is.. off putting. I want simple, which is what i have now (and have had for the last 7 or 8 years) and not things I have to build, fiddle about with etc. Maybe I'll look into the new eGos, all the choice is frankly scary.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I've not posted here in a dog's age (just came back today actually) looking for something new - and boy, the amount of NEW stuff is just confusing. I started on the original 510, took a sidestep into a coupele of mods, and then went to eGo and stayed there. I buy online juice and drip into the 510 atty - never been interested in 'massive clouds' either. Trying to navigate and learn about the new stuff is.. off putting. I want simple, which is what i have now (and have had for the last 7 or 8 years) and not things I have to build, fiddle about with etc. Maybe I'll look into the new eGos, all the choice is frankly scary.
    Yeah, lots of new stuff and so much that we here don't even discuss it to death as in the past.

Egos are available and plenty cheap now. I kept on mine also but got tired of charging and moved on to a plain small box mod with an all day battery . And about the same price.

Welcome back

Bosco

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2012
    San Antonio
    Yeah, lots of new stuff and so much that we here don't even discuss it to death as in the past.

Egos are available and plenty cheap now. I kept on mine also but got tired of charging and moved on to a plain small box mod with an all day battery . And about the same price.

Welcome back

I love the new box mods . .either internal or external . .they're so small and cool. If I were an "old school" vaper with an ego twist or something . .and I mention the ego-twist just because I have a buddy who is a 5-year user . .I'd be checking into these cool little box mods that can do 75-80 watts (I have an eleaf Pico and an Innokin Kroma-A) Mated with your typical ~20 watt MTL device you get a smaller form factor, better battery life and a fantastic vape experience.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    It is a bit overwhelming and confusing, but I believe there is enough variance in stuff on the market that anyone can find a good vape (for them). I enjoy 2 battery mods even though I'm pathetic in wattage... Like, 7--12 watts usually. I like the longer battery life, however, and being able to use TC mode if I'm building. But I own a lot of drop in coil tanks, too.

I had to wade and spend a bit to get to the point that I found things I liked. I spent too much in the beginning but at least it kept my mind off smoking and *on* my bank account balance, LOL. And so far, I've been able to PIF to a few folks and most of them really enjoyed the equipment sent, and since I knew I wouldn't be using it, I was pleased. The rest is shoved in my vacopalypse closet, with the knowledge that at *some point* I may try using it again, or someone else might... and then I try not to think about what's in there. Ever. LOL. For me, finding a stable vape I enjoy in a few different ways-- MTL, rebuildables that I can handle, etc., was worth it.... As well as the fact that it kept me off cigarettes: priceless. :)

I think you will get up to speed quicker than you think! I was somewhat overwhelmed at the beginning, but the good news is my shinyitis is fading and I am much less impulsive in purchasing. I can wait around and watch the new stuff and see what ppl like about it. A strict policy of "nothing new until 6 months" is helping, too.

Good luck! The good news is some of the new equipment is kinda mind blowing compared to what I started with. I'm not staying it was a terrible vape, early on, it wasn't... until I knew better.... :)

Anna

CaptJay

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2010
    A Brit, abroad, (USA)
    I looked at the innokin and eleaf and both look good - the idea of 'rebuilding coils' puts me off though (lol) and the fact that the atty is built in is.. weird. I'm used to using the (pretty much) disposable 510 atty (I get through loads of them as they are used all the time and die quite fast). I like the idea that one is built in (ish) but I'd be terrified of it going wrong and leaving me without any backup. I did have a couple of mods years ago but they were HUGE and heavy (iirc), and eventually died. I had the rechargeable batts and everything but what went wrong turned out to be internal and I just had to junk them. That kinda skews me on dipping my toes into the mod waters again tbh. I can still get my fave eGo but the issue is the atty seems to be being discontinued in many online retailers - hence looking at new kit and being put off by 'too much choice' lol.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Well, I'm not sure it's reasonable (IMO) to expect any purchase to last forever (I'm exempting my Kabuki from this as it has a lifetime warranty) but batteries, mods and tanks even, die, that's what they do. If properly cared for they'll last longer. With that said, more and more mods are built with "indestructible force" and some of them can handle being immersed in water or run over, they aren't cheap, but good for folks dealing with extreme temps or industrial work environments.... They tend to be more expensive. I find the more bells and whistles, sometimes, at low price points, may be a warning sign that the mod won't last a long time... Some manufacturers are well known for reliability and whatnot, while others aren't. I'd look around for a while, make a short list of what appeals to you, and start a thread with the list, seeking opinions from those who have used them....

Good luck,

Anna

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah

Welcome back Cap.
    I bought this old (made in England) mod back in 2010, and I still use some it every day.
    I also dripped on old 510 atomizers, but went looking for a replacement when they "improved" my favorite 510 atomizer to death. What I came up with was the A7 (and A7 mini) which is an RDA, so I did have to learn how to wrap coils. The good news is that I'm still using the same A7s that I bought about 5 years ago.

Mako Midi with A7 mini
    P1000863_zpsc9hvseko.jpg

I can build this to vape exactly like my old 510s.

I should add:
    By learning to wrap my own coils, and make my own liquids, my vape budget is now ZERO, $0.00, nada, zilch!

Last edited:

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 14, 2014
    T for Texas!
    Beginner setup or old pro who doesn't care about the hobby side and simply wants to freakin' vape:
    $43.53 Authentic Aspire Zelos 50W 2500mAh VV VW TC APV Mod Kit - 2ml / 0.7ohm / 1-50W / 0.5V-8.0V / 100-315'C(200-600'F) / aluminum at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    Aspire has enough options in good ol' reliable Nautilus coils to satisfy a wide range - 1.8 - 0.7 and triton minis also:
    FastTech - Gadgets and Electronics

Want similar but with an external battery:
    $25.96 Authentic Eleaf iStick Pico 75W TC VW APV Box Mod - 1-75W / 100-315C'(200-600F') / 1*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    $17.91 Authentic Aspire Nautilus 2 Sub Ohm Tank Clearomizer - 2ml / 0.7ohm / aluminium + glass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Tobacco and other flavors ejuice for those who don't want to DIY, high to low nic levels:
    FastTech - Gadgets and Electronics

Cheap, free shipping, sales pretty often, stock up, done.

Last edited:

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    I think that the simple starter kit reached it's peak with the Ego/Ego twist and simple top fill clearos. Not optimum flavor, not cool, just easy to use and maintain. Unscrew the battery and charge it, unscrew the top cap and fill it.

Ironically, the people still smoking that have resisted vaping up to this point are the ones that need simplicity the most. Late adopters of technology are typically the least interested in the details and will only tolerate a short learning curve. They just want an easy option and will likely abandon setups that require much knowledge or fiddling to use them.

Seeing veteran vapers return to ECF recently and get overwhelmed makes it obvious that simple solutions for smokers are difficult to search out among all the interesting but unnecessary options. When those with quite a bit of experience can't sort out the current stuff, how does a smoker who is late in starting out going to succeed? They are just trying to replace smoking with a safer alternative. Compared to a patch or a pill, it's gotten much more complicated to get an appropriate first setup let alone keep it working well.

We've gotten so involved in our various preferences that we tend to forget when were were among those that want a small cigarette like experience and genuinely need it to make that big first step away from smoking. I think many of our recommendations to newbies scare them off. Most of us here on ECF started off with simple gear and many grew to wanting more as we learned more. We should encourage new vapers to walk before telling them to run so they can gradually get to where they are comfortable as they learn more. Every new vaper we overwhelm with powerful complex setups who returns to smoking is a sad loss IMO.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread