Anyone try to rebuild their T3 yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdodd

Jan 14, 2013
Delaware
I just thought I would try it out to satisfy the tech nerd in me. I have never done it before and am ready to go for it :) I bought some Nichrome 60 32g wire and have some 2mm and 1.5mm wick in stock. I just bought some 3mm wick and one of those meters to show the ohms. Anyone know what ohms I should be aiming for and what size wick I should be using? I tried one today for giggles and it glowed really bright red only on two coils....yes a huge noob here!! Anyone with thoughts and experience would be welcome! Thanks :)

Sarah

side note...have a bunch of replacement coils...just wanted to tinker :p

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Hi, Sarah,

I've not had a T3, but I do rebuild T2s. The T2s are not ideal to be rebuilt, but it can be done. I have never had a good picture in my mind how the T3s are put together. You'll probably need more than 2 wraps for a decent coil. It also depends on what voltage you may be vaping at. You might try searching You-Tube for rebuilding videos.

abracadebra

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2012
Queensland banana bender land of OZ
for starters I only tried to rebuild t3 heads...due to the FDA panic thoughts...if I had a crystal ball...and could see the future..and know for sure no changers...id happily keep buying new heads..i hate tinkering...anyway I started replacing coil wick with cotton wool taper...and 2 flavour wicks..from old clearos I hardly used.. cotton wool...a lot easier to thread through coil....wicking impossiable for my fingers...I brush down coil with dental brushers...roll taper add 2 flavour wicks....trail and error with thickness...till I get it right...ive had no coils wear out as yet...as I have many on rotation....just for the hell of it...I crashed my first t3 head a few days back...to try a rebuild...im using 2ml glass vibre wicks...A1 32g wire...watching you tube vids I got lots of good tips...easy to pull apart...but took me agers to put back together...wrapping wire on wicking abit of drama...but I got there. I did 6 wraps..little white plug was the main nightmare...but with some pg...finally got it in...I don't have ohm meter yet...not sure with resistance....I know im naughty....and I wont do this again but I tried it on my manual batt and coil lit up...and no shorts...batts ok...glass vibre wick seems to like melt very thin.when juice comes in contact.so 2ml to thin I think...maybe 3ml or double 2ml...flavour seems very good.....but still a work in progress....and have to wait for ohm meter to be sure...

Last edited:

Elantis

~≈Dragonfly≈~
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2012
Hoosier Cornhusker
I have rebuilt two of my T3 heads so far with success using the machine screw 4-40 wrap method and cotton for the wick. I purchased some of the Peaches & Cream cotton from Walmart and boiled it prior to use. There are many videos and threads available for rebuilding the T3 and it isn't that difficult, but saying that an ohm meter of some type is a must and me personally I needed some additional help with seeing what I was doing and purchased a "helping hand" device with clips and a magnifying glass. I have been staying in the 2.2 to 2.4 ohm range which with the 4-40 machine screw is about 5 complete coils.

I am not an expert by any means, but if I can rebuild and save a little $$$$ I am all for it.

sdodd

Jan 14, 2013
Delaware
Thanks all! I have watched some videos and did my first one yesterday. Without the ohm meter I was a bit nervous but thought what the heck! LOL! Only two coils glowed...so I but after a few tweaks of the spacing of the coils I got the two center to glow (I did 5 wraps). I don't know if this is good enough...prob not! LOL Going to try again and pay a bit more attention to wrapping and not having any wires close to each other! I have thought about wire mesh....will look into it! :)

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
The pdf showed a blank page :(

Sorry but it just worked for me. But, just in case here is a new link https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5rhNaN5v1yPZHNJSGhpdXRGMWs/edit?usp=sharing that I just tested again and it works. Otherwise your browser is blocking it some how.

Could someone else please test the original link and see if it works for them...Thanks.

scratch-head02_zps178f25c9.gif

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
Using my ipad...still nothing. On a side note, I got my meter and silly me I didn't think about the connection being not 501 or 901/808. What adapter do do need to fit the T3 to the meter?

Is your ipad your only access? Don't use them myself but that might be the problem. Otherwise...

This is for a Kamger T3 but the concept is the same.

Rebuilding a T3 with cotton wicks (1.9 Ω - 2.2 Ω five wraps OR 2.5 - 2.8 Ω six wraps)
Bits and Pieces
1. 1 ml syringe plunger.
2. Jewelers screwdriver.
3. PG/VG for lubricant.
4. 32awg A-1 Kanthal wire.
5. Curved tip scissors (manicure).
6. T3 parts.
7. Butchers twine from Tractor Supply (5 threads) + (3 additional threads) with old cartomizer battery
grommet threaded over threads.
8. Additional cartomizer battery post grommet to be used later.
9. Needle nose pliers.
10. Curved tip tweezers for removing old coil & wick.
1 20ga. blunt tip needle for wrapping the coil wire.
1 14ga. blunt tip needle for bending wires inside base unit.
1 4" 16ga. blunt tip needle for measuring wire length.

CottonRebuild001.png

Using the 4" 16ga. needle as a guide, cut a length of 32awg wire. I usually thread the wire through the
needle and then cut the wire while holding the wire spool in one hand and the needle in the other. If you
don't the wire will unravel from the spool like a spring.
Always boil the Butchers Twine before using to remove any unwanted manufacturing residue.
Twist a length of 5 additional threads of butchers twine onto a length of butchers twine ( comes with 12
threads) as shown in the first image #7.,. I usually use at least 5 inches of the additional threads. Once you
have done this a few times you will decide what is easiest for you.

Thread one of the cartomizer grommets onto the combined butchers thread with the flat side to the left.
Thread another cartomizer grommet onto the combined butchers thread also with the flat side to the left.
Thread a 20ga. needle through both grommets leaving about a 1/4 inch gap between them with the needle
visible on the top..

Using your thumbnail to hold the wire onto the first cartomizer grommet, wrap 5 tight coils making sure the
coils do not touch. The cotton will expand later when you remove the needle. Note the 20ga. needle is
exposed which makes it easier to count the coils. If the coils touch it will reduce the resistance requiring
more wraps for the same resistance. I feel having the coils gapped also helps with the wire build up (gunk)
during use.

The finished coil

CottonRebuild002.png

Using the jewelers screwdriver you can separate or expand the gaps for a better looking coil or to make
them fit into the base better. A little time here is well worth the effort. Once you've got the coils the way
you want, thread the two wire ends through the base as shown below making sure the wick does not extend
past the wick cutouts. You will want the air tube to fit without pinching the wick.

CottonRebuild003.png

Then attach the air tube..

CottonRebuild004.png

Then bend one of the wires over the lip(on right) in the bottom of the base.

CottonRebuild006.png

Now put a drop of PG/VG on the bottom of the T3 battery pin grommet and slide the grommet over the
remaining wire. Making sure the wire is pulled tight, using the plunger from a 1ml syringe, push the
grommet into the hole. I always try to angle the grommet so it is already in the hole on the side the previous
wire has been bent over the lip.

CottonRebuild007.png

Using the needle nose pliers, insert the battery post . Then finish seating the battery post and cut both wires using the curved tip scissors (#5 ) as close to the outside edge of the grommet and lip as possible. Then make sure none of the battery post wire extends past the rubber grommet . You might need to use the jewelers screwdriver to bend the wire end up onto the grommets edge. It doesn't really matter if the bottom wire sticks out a little bit because its already grounded to the base anyway.

CottonRebuild008.png

Now remove the air tube and adjust the coils as needed before removing the 20ga. wire.

CottonRebuild009.png

Replace the air tube and trim the excess wick so it does not extend past the base gel gasket. Then replace
the gel air tube cup.

CottonRebuild011.png

EDIT: the meter probably has a 510 connector so you will need a 510 - 808 for the SI T3 or 510 - EGO for a KANGER T3.

When refilling a T3, hold it horizontal so the liquid is away from the air tube, then unscrew the base quickly so liquid from the combustion chamber does not leak into the air tube. I also insert a pipe cleaner to catch any liquid that may have gotten into the tube. When filling the T3 I use a 14ga. blunt tip needle. Fits nicely between the air tube and the side wall of the T3. Also much faster than trying to drip fill a T3.

Others have tried adding additional "flavor wicks" or 2mm wicks to replace the original "flavor wicks" but I found that these additional wicks dampened the taste of my juices because it puts additional material between the coils and the air tube actually filtering the vapor. Besides I am concerned about the possible silica issues so I have moved to cotton wicks instead which means rebuilding right from the start.

IMHO the T3 just doesn't have enough wick material to absorb the juice which causes the combustion chamber to fill with liquid causing the gurgling.

This is for using cotton twine, but, the concept is the same for other wick materials.

UPDATES TO ORGINIAL PDF.

In my original PDF I said I was using one thread of twine (5 threads) plus 3 additional threads to stop the gurgling. Wouldn't ya know that after making that PDF the gurgling returned. Sooo, after several attempts I found that it really took 1 thread, which really had 12 threads plus an additional 5 threads (corrected in this posting). Now after 5 tanks, no gurgling! Its a little harder to work with the additional threads but well worth the effort. I now have T3's that don't gurgle. Additionally there is only a small amount of moisture on the battery post, after a full tank, which must be condensation which will probably always appear no matter what.

I boil my twine in the microwave using a 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup filled up to 3 cups for 20 minutes. Usually about 4 foot at a time. Then I run cold water into the cup so the hot water rolls over the top. This keeps the twine from picking up some of the residue released into the water from the boiling.

When I got the twine from Tractor Supply I first found it on the web site and my local store had to get it from another store using the SKU #.

NOTE: I am using Volt(SI) cartomizer battery post grommets because they are a little bigger than other grommets

The cotton threads are pretty lose so it takes some time to learn how to thread them into the grommets. Kinda like wetting the end of a thread before threading a needle.

When inserting the finished coil into the base, keep the exposed needle showing( facing up ). This makes it easier to fine tune the coils with a jewelers screwdriver .

I am now using 6 wraps on the coils and coming in at 2.5 - 2.8 Ω's.

When first using the rebuilt head, take several dry puffs first. Then little short puffs until you get a strong vapor. Cotton wicks burn easily.

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Great methodology! I would stick to either silica or fiberglass wicks though, more durable and less prone to burning. It's nice to see clear, close-ups of each step rather than having them occur off camera as in most videos.

I ordered Kanthal and wick material this weekend, so it's just a question of time before I try one and also try a CE3.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I'd suggest plugging at least one, if not two, of the air holes in the base of your T3. That will make draw far less airy and probably improve how warm it is as well. I have no idea why three air holes are needed, I routinely plug two using thick style Gorilla glue and they are fine at least to me.

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
Wow thats alot of work for a 2 dollar part! anyway, I just got my t3.
would anyone know why it doesnt give a warm hit like the standard cartos or even the si nano? really airy and room temperature.
Yeah, its only $2.50 each, but compared to the rebuild cost of: $ 0.037 (4 cents) per rebuild of coil & wick, doesn't't sound like to much work to me.

Besides with the shipping that $2.50 becomes more depending on the total of your order. Additionally, I don't have to worry about not having a base because the mail didn't show up.

TehGoobz

Feb 16, 2013
iowa
Yeah, its only $2.50 each, but compared to the rebuild cost of: $ 0.037 (4 cents) per rebuild of coil & wick, doesn't't sound like to much work to me.

Besides with the shipping that $2.50 becomes more depending on the total of your order. Additionally, I don't have to worry about not having a base because the mail didn't show up.

Im the same way with cars and computers! Love fixing things :) Maybe it just looks harder than it is, small parts and all! Thanks for the glue tip for the air holes i was using my finger to plug them for now.

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
[B said:
awsum140[/B];8896956]I'd suggest plugging at least one, if not two, of the air holes in the base of your T3. That will make draw far less airy and probably improve how warm it is as well. I have no idea why three air holes are needed, I routinely plug two using thick style Gorilla glue and they are fine at least to me.

Im the same way with cars and computers! Love fixing things :) Maybe it just looks harder than it is, small parts and all! Thanks for the glue tip for the air holes i was using my finger to plug them for now.

.....Cool.....!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread