Status
Not open for further replies.

tumbafox

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2010
bellerose NY
I'm learning about rebuilding coils and wicks. Here is what I know so far:

For wick and wire I got some from Clouds of Vapor and madvapes and Nhaler. The Clouds of Vapor wick was the thickest. Make sure you get the resistance wire not the nonresistance wire. See link below

Also request some for free whenever you order from Gotvapes

Also Nhaler sells wick wick and wire for its Ato-mizer which is a custom user serviceable atomizer for $65.

But for $10.00 you can get 40 sets of wick and wire at: The Ato-Miser.

Thats what I bought.

Also ebay is a good place to buy big rolls of wire for a few bucks. Get the #60 Nichrome though. I'm not sure of the gauge. I think 32 - 38 gauge is ok. 36 ga may be best. Resistance depends on the gauge. #60 Nichrome contains about 60% nickel.

Here is a guide:
32 Gauge #60 Nichrome is 10.6 ohms per foot
34 Gauge #60 Nichrome is 17 Ohms per foot
36 Gauge #60 Nichrome is 27 Ohms per foot
38 Gauge #60 Nichrome is 42.2 Ohms per foot

Source: Nichrome Wire

so, for 32 gauge wire, 10.6 ohms/12 = 0.8833 ohms per inch. in order to make a coil that is 1.5 ohms you need 1.69 inches of wire .

for 34 gauge, 17 ohms/12 = 1.4166 ohms per inch. In order to make a coil that is 2 ohms you would need 1.41 inches of wire

for 36 gauge, 27 ohms/12 = 2.25 ohms per inch. Not realistic for 1.5 ohms but for 3 ohms, 1.33 inch or wire would do it.

for 38 gauge, 42.2 Ohms/12 = 3.51 ohms per inch so for 5 ohms, you would need 1.42 inches

The thinner the wire the higher the ohms per foot obviously. Thinner wire would probably be more sensitive to breakage or burning out at high power. I have to tinker with this stuff and get the supplies i need. Different thickness, etc. Try difference wicking materials.

Clouds of Vapor uses 36 gauge which should be about 2.25 ohms per inch: iAtty Resistance Wire

I have not tried the Kanthal wire although I hear good things about it.

Anyone else want to share their experience. I would appreciate it. I think the secret to why some atty's are great and others not so great is all about the type of wire and wick used. I'm not sure.

Wicking I think you can also get at home depot. I think the type of wicking material has a lot do do with the flavor experience. It is just a theory though.

Madvapes also sells wire NiChrome 60 Wire

Other sites:
McMaster-Carr

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Welcome to the modding section tumbafox. :)

This is a good start, but ironically most in this section don't get wick and wire from an e-cig site but rather elsewhere. For wire ebay seems to be the most popular and you should look into kanthal vs. nichrome. Slightly higher temperature rating with kanthal, and it gets a food safety rating for not having nickel content which is an allergen for some.

By wick I suppose you mean silica or fiberglass, although ceramic, stainless steel mesh and lately 100% cotton are also being used. There's lots going on, have a look around.

tumbafox

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2010
bellerose NY
I like to vape with 2.5 to 3 ohm carts or attys. What type or wire would be best. How long should the wire be after being wound and trimmed? So many questions.

So far I have built two Madvapes Box Mods VV kits

Did one Stardust recoil and wicking

One Vivi Nova recoil and wicking.

I want to design something custom but I'm new at modding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread