Anyone Using SI Carto's in a Tank System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1st Officer

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2012
Central Virginia
I know the XL carto, stainless steel is made for use in tanks. Imagine made that comment a while back in another thread and I don't remember which one.

It appears that most folks that buy the XL SS Cartos do so to make APVs. I have played around with a few homemade tanks using the XL SS Cartos with varied success/failures using small lexan tubing. My conclusions are it is cheaper to buy these products than it is to make them although it was a very good learning experience. If you go to the DIY sub Forum under the "Tanks Topic" there are many designs you can make at home using the XL SS cartos with drawings and assembly instructions but I have plenty to do as it is and decided to just stick with my SI Clearos for now.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
It appears that most folks that buy the XL SS Cartos do so to make APVs. I have played around with a few homemade tanks using the XL SS Cartos with varied success/failures using small lexan tubing. My conclusions are it is cheaper to buy these products than it is to make them although it was a very good learning experience. If you go to the DIY sub Forum under the "Tanks Topic" there are many designs you can make at home using the XL SS cartos with drawings and assembly instructions but I have plenty to do as it is and decided to just stick with my SI Clearos for now.

I watched a video the other day where a guy made a tank out of a 5ml plastic nicotine liquid bottle. No gaskets or seals at all and used nothing more complicated than a hammer to make the hole in the bottom of the bottle and a sheetrock screw to make a hole in the carto. If I had a 5ml bottle around I might give it a try for a laugh, I've got the cartos.

Incidentally, SI cartos are among the very best available so they would probably work out very well in an application like this.

1st Officer

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2012
Central Virginia
I watched a video the other day where a guy made a tank out of a 5ml plastic nicotine liquid bottle. No gaskets or seals at all and used nothing more complicated than a hammer to make the hole in the bottom of the bottle and a sheetrock screw to make a hole in the carto. If I had a 5ml bottle around I might give it a try for a laugh, I've got the cartos.

Incidentally, SI cartos are among the very best available so they would probably work out very well in an application like this.

I built three based on one of the drawings from the Modders - Tank Sub Forum, they all worked but call me lazy. I can buy Clearos for less money than the 4 hours of labor I put into the three and I had to go buy o-rings and I wish I had just taken out a Hammer and been done with it. When I first started Vaping I bought 20 of the XL SS Cartos before I watched Mr. Outlaws video on Clearos, so if you want a couple to experiment with I'll be happy to send them your way. 10 of them are still in the boxes.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I built three based on one of the drawings from the Modders - Tank Sub Forum, they all worked but call me lazy. I can buy Clearos for less money than the 4 hours of labor I put into the three and I had to go buy o-rings and I wish I had just taken out a Hammer and been done with it. When I first started Vaping I bought 20 of the XL SS Cartos before I watched Mr. Outlaws video on Clearos, so if you want a couple to experiment with I'll be happy to send them your way. 10 of them are still in the boxes.

All the guy did was take the drip tip off the bottle, take the mouthpiece off the carto, stuff it (mouthpiece end first) into the bottle and centered it on the bottom, gave it a hard hit with a hammer on a piece of wood to cut out the hole in the bottom, pushed it through the hole, filled and went on his merry way vaping it. Couldn't have taken more than five minutes including punching the carto and no leaks at all! He did take the time to prefill the carto though and had to use a comfort style tip. I've got 9 XLs after retiring one because of a heavy VG vanilla I had in it, couldn't clean it out.

hcour

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
SC
This morning I ordered a tank with carto along with an extra punched carto from Parkes Vaping. Here's a link if anyone's interested:

Carto Tank Mods

I got the "Chibi" 3.0. Just have to let them know you need 808 threading in the comments when you check out.

This should be interesting. If I like this setup I'm probably going to buy an SI XL battery, some extra SI cartos and a carto hole puncher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread