Are Cheap E-liquids that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan Ahmad

Oct 12, 2017
So I recently bought a small shesha pen to quit smoking and I buy the small cheap e-liquids from local corner shops. I hear a lot about how these liquids are dangerous and can make you ill or damage your lungs. What do you guys think? Are they really that unhealthy? Would it be better to buy from a reputable vape shop and put the nicotine in the liquid myself?

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
So I recently bought a small shesha pen to quit smoking and I buy the small cheap e-liquids from local corner shops. I hear a lot about how these liquids are dangerous and can make you ill or damage your lungs. What do you guys think? Are they really that unhealthy? Would it be better to buy from a reputable vape shop and put the nicotine in the liquid myself?
If they taste OK, and you're not feeling sick, and there are no nasties in the ingredients list, then you're probably OK. Way better than cigarettes.

However, you should go try a premium just so you have a point of reference...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Maybe just a rumor, lots floating around but I heard liquid from China may have problems people have to go to hospital and all that. They don't have the regulations we have in America.

Dekang, hangsen, joyetech, feelife (and a few others) are all respected, safe, Chinese brands. I have vaped them all and many many folks the world over use those brands daily.

Please post support for your assertions @Carl2.
Thanks

Cheers
I

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Maybe just a rumor, lots floating around but I heard liquid from China may have problems people have to go to hospital and all that. They don't have the regulations we have in America.
What regulations are those?

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

I don't do rumors. Lots of bad information out there which are put out by the anti vape groups. While China doesn't have stringent regulations, I have heard nothing from actual vapers about having any problems with e liquids specifically from China, as compared to other countries.

If you don't have actual peer reviews studies to back up your claims, then its not good information to pass on to a new vaper.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

Some vapers have allergies to some aspects in their e juice and they find out when they begin vaping... but that is not specific to anything but them, and not a general problem with less expensive e juices.

There are Diacetyl, Acetoin and Acetyl Propionyl Free Formulas of e juice flavorings because some studies, which were directed at industrial application, i.e. production of the flavorings using these chemicals in a High exposure / long term exposure situation, showed possible lung problems.

You can if you like, seek out these Diacetyl, Acetoin and Acetyl Propionyl free formulas, but so far there have been no peer reviewed studies showing the smaller amounts of flavorings that we use showing the same types of damage, or any damage - to my knowledge. The general consensus is better safe than sorry, but its up to you whether or not you have concern when vaping in such small concentrations.

If you like, do what was suggested and try some of the higher quality e juice and see if you like it better and decide why. Decide whether or not what your vaping is giving you any difficulty. Personally, I am not worried. Cigarettes was much greater harm, even with these flavor formulas.

Its simply up to you to decide, and if you like - just ask what flavors are being used and what brands, and research them. You never know, many flavorings out there do not contain these ingredients anyway, and the ones that do to my knowledge are no less expensive than the ones which contain them - so using them or not will never affect price.

The FDA HAS concluded that these three ingredients are safe for ingestion.. it is simply a matter of industrial applications in production which have inhaled great quantities over very long amounts of time which have shown problems, thus far and to my knowledge.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
So I recently bought a small shesha pen to quit smoking and I buy the small cheap e-liquids from local corner shops. I hear a lot about how these liquids are dangerous and can make you ill or damage your lungs. What do you guys think? Are they really that unhealthy?
Compared to smoking? Very unlikely.

Would it be better to buy from a reputable vape shop and put the nicotine in the liquid myself?
If you have the option to buy from a reputable vape shop, then by all means do so.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
You can't determine quality based on price alone. There are absolutely no standards for an e-liquid labeled "premium" or anything else someone decides to put on the bottle. Inexpensive e-liquid can have the same quality as expensive e-liquid and visa-versa.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't think there's anything wrong with buying inexpensive e-juice (from whatever country) and as stated above, unless you have specific sensitivities to an e-liquid, you'd know it. I figured out I couldn't tolerate inhaling PG fairly quickly and I don't seem to do that well with vanillas, at least in any great quantity, they make me hoarse. With that said, sometimes it's nice to try and see how you like more premium e-juices, some folks find brands that they really enjoy that are slightly more expensive, but they do seem to enjoy their e-juice more.

I don't think "made in China" is inherently a bad thing, but for the most part buying safely as possible is a good idea. If you can purchase more reputable or known e-juice where you are and then add nicotine, you may be pleasantly surprised with the results as compared to what you are buying now, or not, but at least that way you'll have some exposure to both and see which you like better/is more convenient, etc.

Best of luck,

Anna

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Is this a juice mixed by the shop itself, or just a closed bottle that was cheap? There are some excellent inexpensive juices out there, as well as "premium" juices that taste meh. Check the E Liquid section here to get an idea of vendors with good prices and feedback on the particular juice you would like to try.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I make eliquid at home for personal use. It's the finest quality vape ambrosia in this region of the galaxy. Cost of ingredients is 1.1 cents per ml. Have you seen any less expensive than that?

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I DIY some. I buy some. I've vaped both Dekang and Hansen and liked them at the time. I've also paid top dollar for premium juices that tasted like it exited the south end of a northbound donkey.

The least expensive option is mixing your own and even that can come out tasting like an embarrassment.

If you like it and the price is right, and it doesn't make you sick or crazy, vape it.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
One of the main reasons for me starting DIY, and using all USA products. Who knows what happens over that wall.
I'm only aware of one flavor vendor who's done anything resembling inhalation safety testing and they are in Italy, not the USA...

Nathan Ahmad

Oct 12, 2017
Is this a juice mixed by the shop itself, or just a closed bottle that was cheap? There are some excellent inexpensive juices out there, as well as "premium" juices that taste meh. Check the E Liquid section here to get an idea of vendors with good prices and feedback on the particular juice you would like to try.
It is made by a company but not a hugely well known or reputable company at that, it is in a small sealed bottles.

Reactions: stols001

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
All liquids are basically the same.. PG/VG and flavoring.
The possible problems that might arise are again IF you are sensitive to a particular flavoring or if you are PG or VG sensitive.

These possible problems are there weather you pay 30 for a 30ml bottle or 3.00. If you have sensitivity to strawberries, well you might have it with a liquid that is strawberry flavored. The more natural the flavoring is the more likely you might have a problem with it.

If you are sensitive to PG or VG its all about ratios of the two. Again, that is going to affect any liquid expensive or cheap.

There are known flavorings that have been rumored to be bad, such as Dicet.... and couple others, usually with custards or nut flavors.
Again, its not been proven, its been hypothesized.

Use your logic and ask if anyone has used that flavor/ brand and if you like it and it keeps you off cigarettes, have at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread