Are painted tanks a concern? atomizer rta rda coating coated

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapesmooth123

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2016
FYI if you're really going to custom paint you tanks (the outsides of course), know that metal really doesn't like being painted, espcailyl smooth metal such as most atomizer tanks.

Metal usually requires a self-etching primer first step which "keys" the metal by basically cutting a bunch of very tiny scrapes in the metal for the paint to have more surface area to grip to. Then paint goes after the primer. You might also end up globbing up the knurled (grippy) parts of the tank such as where the top fill unscrews.
And even if primed properly, I think with all the gripping and twisting of tanks, the paint will peel off rather quickly.

I would just go with a custom wrap or case on the MOD itself, and/or rubber atomizer tank rings.
A Wood mod you can paint/stain with better results though. Stained would probably last the longest but will probably fade in the shape of your hand grip.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Not a dumb question but curious as to why you would use it? It's a solvent and I don't think on SS there is anything to dissolve. For cleaning a mod or SS atty, I'd use just water or dish soap and water. I've used things like goof off to remove wrap residue and it didn't degrade the surface at all.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Not a dumb question but curious as to why you would use it? It's a solvent and I don't think on SS there is anything to dissolve. For cleaning a mod or SS atty, I'd use just water or dish soap and water. I've used things like goof off to remove wrap residue and it didn't degrade the surface at all.

For removing the paint that didn’t peel off on its own

bhayes

May 11, 2011
hartford ct
I am a little concerned about the plastic bottles, which may leach, which are easier to fill from (squeezing them), vs glass juice bottles with glass droppers, but I think the common wisdom is not to use each plastic bottle for too long a duration. Alot of food and beverages come in plastic bottles and containers that may leach, but after each use they are meant to be thrown away instead of reused, so that may be the solution, after each plastic bottle empties, throw it awayo_O

Reactions: stols001

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I am a little concerned about the plastic bottles, which may leach, which are easier to fill from (squeezing them), vs glass juice bottles with glass droppers, but I think the common wisdom is not to use each plastic bottle for too long a duration. Alot of food and beverages come in plastic bottles and containers that may leach, but after each use they are meant to be thrown away instead of reused, so that may be the solution, after each plastic bottle empties, throw it awayo_O

Materials can only leech so much until it reaches a stable balance and no more leeching can occur. If leeching could continue occurring, eventually the material would dissolve completely. This is true for metals, plastics, rubber, anything. It either stops leeching at some point or it dissolves. I don't see these bottles dissolving completely, so to me it would be smarter to keep using the same bottles over and over, rather than get fresh leeching with new bottles.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
The type of plastic used with DIY or juice bottles are made with ldpe and it is not the same type of plastic as used in say....pepsi litres or even water bottles. When purchasing bottles always look for a low density pet type(ldpe) of bottle. These are made to even with stand many types of chemicals and not have any problems.

eta....here is a reference point
Types of Bottles : Types of Plastics | Plastic Bottle | Technical Information | TOYO SEIKAN

:)

Last edited:

bhayes

May 11, 2011
hartford ct
Materials can only leech so much until it reaches a stable balance and no more leeching can occur. If leeching could continue occurring, eventually the material would dissolve completely. This is true for metals, plastics, rubber, anything. It either stops leeching at some point or it dissolves. I don't see these bottles dissolving completely, so to me it would be smarter to keep using the same bottles over and over, rather than get fresh leeching with new bottles.

Good point, but see this article from a professor of biology- Study: Most Plastics Leach Hormone-Like Chemicals - I would conclude it may be better to use glass bottles with glass droppers, even though it is slower and more painstaking than good old plastic squeeze bottles:|

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Good point, but see this article from a professor of biology- Study: Most Plastics Leach Hormone-Like Chemicals - I would conclude it may be better to use glass bottles with glass droppers, even though it is slower and more painstaking than good old plastic squeeze bottles:|

I am not dumb enough to want to live forever, nor naive enough to think I can. I'll take my chances for the sake of convenience. Good article though.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
That's ecologically terribly unsound though. At minimum, recycle.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

bhayes

May 11, 2011
hartford ct
I am not dumb enough to want to live forever, nor naive enough to think I can. I'll take my chances for the sake of convenience. Good article though.

Thanks for the compliment on the article, I used a little of that new AI (artificial intelligence), google style and typed in plastic leeching into the search box and it gave me that and some more articles:)

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Thanks for the compliment on the article, I used a little of that new AI (artificial intelligence), google style and typed in plastic leeching into the search box and it gave me that and some more articles:)

You are welcome. :)

Seriously though, if it was leeching arsenic or cyanide, or something dangerous like that I might be concerned. But estrogen? I'm sure I get more of that from eating chicken 2 nights a week than from leeching in my juice bottle and I'll be damned if I am giving up the chicken.

vapesmooth123

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2016
They do NOT use actual solder to attach the legs, it is more of an arc weld joint than a solder joint. They use a capacitor and connect the low-resistance wire to one lead, the coil to the other, then just touch the two wires together and SNAP they are attached. Which means, there is no solder, no lead, and no rosin in that joint.

apparently some DO use solder to a PCB board. rare but looks to be true. The iJoy EXO XL has solder and friggin LED lights near the coil. I don't want to vape solder or LED. Shame because the EXO X sub tank (not XL) and EXO RTA are great tanks which I'm buying, but the EXO X uses smaller coils that don't have LED or Solder.

XL-c2 coil solder

and just wanted to edit that although the Zeus tank pic I posted looks painted (same with pharaoh), they are media blasted which might mean not painted - they basically blast plain steel with sand/silica etc pellets to make it look that way, doesn't necessarily mean it's been painted although it also could be.

Last edited:
  • Useful

vapesmooth123

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2016
plastic vs glass juice bottles, I would recommend glass, but just know that all the VG and PG and nicotine (usually) came in a plastic bottle and had been sitting in a plastic bottle for weeks/months/years.
This is why they say filtered tap water might be cleaner than spring water. But I think it also depends on the plumbing too. If you have PEX plumbing, then the filtered tap water was ran through plastic piping anyway, or older copper piping with lead solder. Personally I still trust spring water more. I hope to think they know what they're doing with plastic water bottles by now.

Yes PET type plastic (the harder, more clear bottles, sometimes juice comes in) is not as stable for certain types of FLAVORING like cinnamon or citric pineapple etc. You want LDPE bottles instead of PET but %95 of e juice comes in LDPE anyway, but sometimes flavor concentrates come in a PET bottle (if you DIY mix e juice and buy flavors).

IMHO the flavor is what will react the most with the bottle, especially alcohol based flavor.

Another thing is temperature change with plastic probably makes it leach more. Example if you store gallons of water in a hot garage and drink them months later. Or similar with e juice (leave plastic bottle in a hot car with windows closed can get like 120 degrees or something). Same with 'microwave safe' plastic storage containers, some are only microwave safe for one or a few uses before they say to throw it out.

With a dropper bottle, gotta make sure it's not sideways otherwise the juice will come in contact with the rubber nipple which IMHO might break down worse than a LDPE dropper bottle. And when drawing the juice up the glass pipette, I make sure it doesn't get into the rubber nipple area. (Also make sure the glass dropper bottle also has a glass pipette instead of on rare occasions the seller might have used cheaper plastic pipettes with a glass tank). Supposedly black nipple glass dropper bottles are safer than white ones. Or vice versa I forgot, the answer is somewhere on this forum. This topic was discussed a lot when there were still plastic tank clearomizers on the market instead of how everything is now pyrex glass thankfully. Cinnamon and pineapple and citrus flavors etc would crack plastic tanks.

IMHO it's not much more inconvenient to use a glass dropper bottle than a plastic dropper bottle. The glass dropper cap unscrews a bit easier than a plastic child proof cap IMHO. If you have a bottle of juice on a desk and leave the cap off, then a plastic dropper bottle would be easier, but you can also just not screw the glass dropper cap on. This is for an RDA use when you are using the bottle a lot, otherwise, I don't think it's much more convenient to use a plastic bottle to "fill up a tank" vs a glass dropper.

Tanks nowadays usually have large fill posts, before it was harder to fill with a glass dropper bottle and I even was using needle tip plastic dropper bottles for some tanks but that's not a problem anymore.

you can get a six pack of glass dropper bottles on ebay pretty cheap, like $6 shipped or something. If it's going to be in the sun, the Amber ones are best (or maybe cobalt blue, I forgot but the answer is somewhere on this forum), but clear works fine if not kept in sunlight (sun light can degrade the flavoring). This is if you DIY juice though and get flavor in a glass bottle I guess, otherwise as stated, it might have already leached if you plan to transfer premade juice from a plastic bottle to a glass one. They have 15ml and 30ml and 50ml and 5ml etc glass dropper bottles.

Some tanks have fill ports so big that you can just use a regular non dropper glass bottle and 'pour' the juice in. Most people use the ones with polycone leak proof lids though, and I guess if you shake the juice, it'll contact the polycone (which seems like LDPE though and not PET).

Another thing is with plastic bottles I can never seem to get them to fully air dry after rinsing between flavors. I shake it so much that I don't think there's any VG left (which won't air dry like water) but they still look like they're speckled with VG when left to air dry for a few days.

Having said all that, I some how realize for some reason I've been using plastic bottles for the past few months. I just changed back to glass. Make sure if you buy glass that the pipette reaches all the way to the bottom of the bottle too, otherwise you gotta tilt it when it gets low.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
plastic vs glass juice bottles, I would recommend glass, but just know that all the VG and PG and nicotine (usually) came in a plastic bottle and had been sitting in a plastic bottle for weeks/months/years.
This is why they say filtered tap water might be cleaner than spring water. But I think it also depends on the plumbing too. If you have PEX plumbing, then the filtered tap water was ran through plastic piping anyway, or older copper piping with lead solder. Personally I still trust spring water more. I hope to think they know what they're doing with plastic water bottles by now.

Yes PET type plastic (the harder, more clear bottles, sometimes juice comes in) is not as stable for certain types of FLAVORING like cinnamon or citric pineapple etc. You want LDPE bottles instead of PET but %95 of e juice comes in LDPE anyway, but sometimes flavor concentrates come in a PET bottle (if you DIY mix e juice and buy flavors).

IMHO the flavor is what will react the most with the bottle, especially alcohol based flavor.

Another thing is temperature change with plastic probably makes it leach more. Example if you store gallons of water in a hot garage and drink them months later. Or similar with e juice (leave plastic bottle in a hot car with windows closed can get like 120 degrees or something). Same with 'microwave safe' plastic storage containers, some are only microwave safe for one or a few uses before they say to throw it out.

With a dropper bottle, gotta make sure it's not sideways otherwise the juice will come in contact with the rubber nipple which IMHO might break down worse than a LDPE dropper bottle. And when drawing the juice up the glass pipette, I make sure it doesn't get into the rubber nipple area. (Also make sure the glass dropper bottle also has a glass pipette instead of on rare occasions the seller might have used cheaper plastic pipettes with a glass tank). Supposedly black nipple glass dropper bottles are safer than white ones. Or vice versa I forgot, the answer is somewhere on this forum. This topic was discussed a lot when there were still plastic tank clearomizers on the market instead of how everything is now pyrex glass thankfully. Cinnamon and pineapple and citrus flavors etc would crack plastic tanks.

IMHO it's not much more inconvenient to use a glass dropper bottle than a plastic dropper bottle. The glass dropper cap unscrews a bit easier than a plastic child proof cap IMHO. If you have a bottle of juice on a desk and leave the cap off, then a plastic dropper bottle would be easier, but you can also just not screw the glass dropper cap on. This is for an RDA use when you are using the bottle a lot, otherwise, I don't think it's much more convenient to use a plastic bottle to "fill up a tank" vs a glass dropper.

Tanks nowadays usually have large fill posts, before it was harder to fill with a glass dropper bottle and I even was using needle tip plastic dropper bottles for some tanks but that's not a problem anymore.

you can get a six pack of glass dropper bottles on ebay pretty cheap, like $6 shipped or something. If it's going to be in the sun, the Amber ones are best (or maybe cobalt blue, I forgot but the answer is somewhere on this forum), but clear works fine if not kept in sunlight (sun light can degrade the flavoring). This is if you DIY juice though and get flavor in a glass bottle I guess, otherwise as stated, it might have already leached if you plan to transfer premade juice from a plastic bottle to a glass one. They have 15ml and 30ml and 50ml and 5ml etc glass dropper bottles.

Some tanks have fill ports so big that you can just use a regular non dropper glass bottle and 'pour' the juice in. Most people use the ones with polycone leak proof lids though, and I guess if you shake the juice, it'll contact the polycone (which seems like LDPE though and not PET).

Another thing is with plastic bottles I can never seem to get them to fully air dry after rinsing between flavors. I shake it so much that I don't think there's any VG left (which won't air dry like water) but they still look like they're speckled with VG when left to air dry for a few days.

Having said all that, I some how realize for some reason I've been using plastic bottles for the past few months. I just changed back to glass. Make sure if you buy glass that the pipette reaches all the way to the bottom of the bottle too, otherwise you gotta tilt it when it gets low.
If you're really this worried about everything you should take the time to educate yourself so you can make informed decisions. There's risk that'll you'll put yourself in real danger due to things you believe otherwise. Like, would you prefer raw water rather than water that's been treated with lots of scary-sounding chemicals?

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

• Agree

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario

:eek:

I'm going to start vaping hand sanitizer and fresh breast milk.

Last edited:

vapesmooth123

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2016
how did I make it seem like I'd rather vape hand sanitizer? I basically said LDPE should be safe but I'd go with glass preferred, but know that VG, PG, nic (usually) and often flavors had already been sitting in LDPE for weeks/months. I said stay away from PET which is true for some flavors react with it.

If that 'raw' (spring) water is clean, then yes I'd rather drink it than chem-treated water. But the point was that people say spring water sits in a PLASTIC bottle and might be worse than filtered tap water.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread