Are painted tanks a concern? atomizer rta rda coating coated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oomee

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
UK
I have several gold colored KFLs, EhPro clones. I noticed when I gave them their first cleaning that a couple of tank parts were gold colored on the inside. That's a couple of parts out of multiple tanks.

Presumably it's just a sloppy manufacturing process.

It did worry me a little but I've never seen any of that gold surfacing come off. I have no idea what kind of paint or process is used for it so it would be hard to research.

So far I haven't used any of the tanks with color on the inside.

That could be Titanium nitride coated stainless steel.
That would be a good, safe coating...

"This coating is also used in numerous medical (implants, surgical instruments, etc.) and food processing applications."

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
@ChelsB had some of the painted STM tanks whose paint was breaking down, flaking, peeling, etc. off the inside of the tanks. Right Chels?

I sure did. That was awful! Especially since it was the original paint and not something I’d added!
81e2bc365eada8823a969b632c849450.jpg

vapesmooth123

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2016
These quoted portions above could not be more wrong.

They do attach leg wires to their coils, but they are low resistance wire, NOT non-conductive. If they were non-conductive then power couldn't even get to the coil. So, yes, electricity absolutely DOES go through it. The low resistance wire doesn't heat up near as much, due to having less resistance.

They do NOT use actual solder to attach the legs, it is more of an arc weld joint than a solder joint. They use a capacitor and connect the low-resistance wire to one lead, the coil to the other, then just touch the two wires together and SNAP they are attached. Which means, there is no solder, no lead, and no rosin in that joint.

Okay you schooled me on that, thanks. So the wire IS conductive but it's just very low-resistance. And the point is that they aren't soldered using extra metals/chems. They are capacitor-"snapped" together whatever that means, maybe heat or some sort or molecular bond using no metals besides what's already in the wire.

I never really got into if the metals in coil wires are completely safe but I've seen threads about it, but figured what I don't know won't hurt me - it's not as if I'm going to attempt to re-invent the coil on my own.

Brass (w/ lead) in build deck parts right near the heat of the coil - some say it doesn't get hot enough to matter, who really knows? - but again, not about to try and build my own atomizers to avoid this.

--------------------
That teal tank peeling is alarming! Looks like you soaked it in paint stripper!

I wonder if and ultrasonic cleaner would remove it all, but I doubt it.
-----

Um, what tanks have paint on the inside? I've literally have had 100+ tanks and never have had one that has paint on the inside.

To be honest, out of the list of RTAs I'm currently narrowing down, not many, especially those with a Silver option, but a lot of the silver ones look like they're chromed or something vs the more basic RDAs I've used in the past (UD Igo-w 316L surgical grade stainless appears to be just plain steel like many other older attys do).
But I really like the features of some of these newer tanks.

Some silver options also look like a frosted finish. They call it media blasted like the Zeus silver RTA pictured below. Which might just mean it's sand blasted or something but I don't know if that's all they did. Maybe coated it after?

And a lot of the build decks are fake gold plated looking.
---

Final thoughts is I'm just gonna stay away from "painted looking" tanks like that red and teal one. Stick to silver options. Chromed looking ones I just have to hope aren't coated just for the sake of looking shiny, and don't leach out anything.

afd6a11a8a95c1aecbd97e77ed20ab39.jpg

8237601-10.jpg

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Okay you schooled me on that, thanks. So the wire IS conductive but it's just very low-resistance. And the point is that they aren't soldered using extra metals/chems. They are capacitor-"snapped" together whatever that means, maybe heat or some sort or molecular bond using no metals besides what's already in the wire.

I wasn't trying to school you as much as point out bad information and correct it before some ANTZ (Anti Nicotine and Tobacco Zealot) comes along and pulls that info and try to use it against us.

Also just for education purposes, how the capacitor works is this: a Capacitor works similar to a battery in that it holds a charge but unlike a battery they can charge and discharge near instantaneously. So they apply a current to the capacitor for a second or two, to "charge it up". Then they connect one wire to one pole of the capacitor and the other wire to the other pole. Then when they touch the two wires together, the capacitor dumps it's charge and a spark is created AT the point of contact between the two wires. At that spark point both wires are super-heated for a fraction of a second causing both metals to become infused to each other. It provides a fast, easy, and relatively sturdy joint without need for solder or actual welding.

Here is a video of it in action. You might want to hit mute first since the only sound is loud music.

Last edited:

Ralph_K

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2018
I always try to go for stainless: Matchy-matchy.

Even if my Vari's lose their luster, it won't be as noticeable (to me). :smokie:
You can polish stainless to as good as new. You could do it like is done for jeweler but is a different compound. Jewelry they use red rouge for stainless it white not sure what its called

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    You can polish stainless to as good as new. You could do it like is done for jeweler but is a different compound. Jewelry they use red rouge for stainless it white not sure what its called

Good to know.

I'm kind of ghetto. I would use a car paint pen or nail polish.

jk: No, really I would.

BTW - it is Red Rouge.

Ralph_K

ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2018
    Good to know.

I'm kind of ghetto. I would use a car paint pen or nail polish.

jk: No, really I would.

BTW - it is Red Rouge.
    yea I miss spelled. its used for gold, brass, and copper but I'm sure it would work on stainless but the white stuff would work better because it a harder alloy

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    That could be Titanium nitride coated stainless steel.
    That would be a good, safe coating...

"This coating is also used in numerous medical (implants, surgical instruments, etc.) and food processing applications."

Thanks for the info. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you're right. I'll ask around in Kayfun clone circles, someone must know.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread