Status
Not open for further replies.

thegrindre

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2011
Central Arkansas
allricksstuff.com
Hi all,
Now that I'm completely hooked on vaping, I'm looking for an 'ashtray' to hold my PV.

One design I'd like to have would be a 'Black Sambo' type of character that looks like he's carrying sticks of wood across his out stretched arms but, in his up turned hands, he would be holding my PV, too.
Here's something similar carrying a watermelon.

bs.jpg

A simple block of wood with holes drilled down could also be used for holding a few PV's at the same time.

Is there anyone out there making PV holders???

Thanks,

Last edited:

thegrindre

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2011
Central Arkansas
allricksstuff.com
Question to admin: Do we have to be polite to overtly racist posters who type statements like "I'm really surprised no one hasn't already done this yet."?
Yeah dude, that crap is racist and it isn't me.

I don't see anything racist here what so ever. It appears that you have a problem.

I've clicked on your link and see you are a wood worker. Are there any custom PV holders being made?

Last edited:

LibertyValance

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
Tampa, FL
Mistinthewoods I have been trying to restrain myself since I am a noob here and prefer not to get kicked off the first week, lol. But yeah obviously most people agree with you and thanks for being the first with the courage to state the obvious. Picture was clearly posted to antagonize. Worked for me. I'd rather get kicked out than say nothing and feel bad about it later.

n2danexxus

ECF Veteran
Let's not get off topic on a flame war. Yes, the picture is stereotypical. That doesn't mean OP is racist, it means that he wants a 19th century American style statue that was commonplace in that era. Not only that, saying "no one hasn't" isn't racist. Seriously, I live in east TN and there are plenty of Caucasian people here that need a translator to understand their horrible grammar. You live in Minnesota up north, TheGrindre lives in Arkansas down south. It's more common than you may think.

As for finding one, I would look in antique stores. As I stated before, there were statues like that made before. You may want to look in some of those beach shops like "WINGS" also. They tend to carry african-made tribal stuff in that style as well.

Last edited:

thegrindre

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2011
Central Arkansas
allricksstuff.com
Let's not get off topic on a flame war. Yes, the picture is stereotypical. That doesn't mean OP is racist, it means that he wants a 19th century American style statue that was commonplace in that era. Not only that, saying "no one hasn't" isn't racist. Seriously, I live in east TN and there are plenty of Caucasian people here that need a translator to understand their horrible grammar. You live in Minnesota up north, TheGrindre lives in Arkansas down south. It's more common than you may think.

As for finding one, I would look in antique stores. As I stated before, there were statues like that made before. You may want to look in some of those beach shops like "WINGS" also. They tend to carry african-made tribal stuff in that style as well.

Thank you. I wasn't to sure anyone understood my idea, when all of a sudden, the sky started falling. Sheesh! It's 2011 already. People need to lighten up a little. That kind of stuff died back in the 70's and 80's.

Happy vaping!

Last edited:

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
thgrindre, yes, this is 2011. This just means that this country has more years of racism under it's belt. Things aren't "all better now". I know you don't know me but I WILL speak my mind when I'm sure I'm right and I'm sure that that kind of stereotyping is offensive and debasing to many people. Perhaps you didn't mean it like that but the fact remains that society sees it that way.
Yes I am an artisan woodworker and will be posting desktop juice and atty organizers soon but I wouldn't make anything like that. I would lose some friends over stuff like that no matter what I meant by it.
Calling something that is blatantly insulting "americana" or "just nostalgia" isn't a good enough excuse.
I'm not trying to start a war here but too many people are way too timid about this stuff. Lots of folks are thinking what I'm saying.
*steps down from soapbox*

thegrindre

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2011
Central Arkansas
allricksstuff.com
I have absolutely no issues with any race or creed on this planet. I have friends of all creeds and religions beliefs.
The kind of stuff the above posters were implying hasn't entered my mind in decades and I have honestly thought that that kind of stuff has long been dead and swept by the roadside.
I believe they are the ones with a problem, not me by any means.

Levitas

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis
Personally, someone eating watermelon isn't racist to me. I had a close buddy of mine, Ryan, look at the picture. He didn't find it racist, and he's black. I agree that at the time the statue might've held some racial profiling meaning of sorts but now and days, it's just a person eating watermelon.

Say, for example, a young child sees the statue. Say also, that this child has never been exposed to such racial profiling, at all. Child grows up. Now this person sees a statue of a black person eating watermelon, would they think it's racist? Like I had said, it at one time might've be construed as so but we're living in times when we shouldn't have to be overly sensitive about things like this.

Racism is hatred not a statue.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
This debate over the "racial" meaning of the statue is stupid. Yeah, so what, Sambos were designed, manufactured and sold with an underlying racial meaning.

You'll see the "jockey" statue on lawns today. You know, the one where the figure is dressed in a horse jockey uniform with one arm outstretched, holding a large ring. Yeah, that one! You know those were originally black faced? You know it was styled after the era when a slave owner would put one of his slaves out in front of his manor holding a ring for guests to tie their horse to? After everybody got all racially over sensitive, the faces got painted white. Now, as a white man, am I to feel insulted?? Oh, hell no! That'd be just silly.

Now get down off the soapbox, people. If you feel insulted by the pic in the OP, deal with it like you have been since you took up your race card. Run your mouth (or fingers across the keyboard if you will) all you want, but my Grandparents had Sambos. My Mom and Dad have Sambos, I have Sambos. We all know the underlying "meaning". We all still display the Sambos in 2011. If you think I'm racist, so be it. I've shared the company of all races at some point without animosity.

Here's a hanky if you feel like crying about what I've said...

I hate alot of people, and it's not because of their color. It's because they're stupid.

Last edited:

n2danexxus

ECF Veteran
^^^THIS

(I suppose if I can't stop it I'll just join in lol) It's like calling something racist because YOU see it as racist or stereotypical. SOME of society see it that way, not all of it. Calling it Americana is not an excuse, it's the style of the piece in question. Besides, he wanted a piece in that style, not exactly like it. It's not like he posted the picture to say "I am a race hater and want to glorify that in the form of a statue". I suppose it the end something will always offend someone in someway, somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread