Are We Asking Too Much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
As a 64 y.o. recent devoted vaper and advocate, I MUST post some of my observations thus far.

First, I smoked for over 45 years, most of which was 2 PaD. After going cold turkey 17 years ago for 10 weeks and traumatizing my family, friends, co-workers and even strangers, I WAS NOT going to repeat that experience.

Ergo, I did much research on the available secession programs and found none that I considered viable. Within the past three years I meet several folk that tried the e-cig. Unfortunately, none kept with the e-cig program.

But back in March, I saw a post on a firearms forum which addressed e-cigs and the ease of tobacco secession. The poster posted his recommendations and three links. I took the leap, ordered his suggestions and am now a very happy vaper.

My e-cig history line:

eGo Mega kit with LR atties and some juice
510T kit for my buds to try and some juice
eGo tank accessories and some juice
510 regular kit for my buds that have shown interest, plus more juice
Old Goat 3.7V bought on ‘ECF Classifieds and swaps’, had da juice

Now, I’ll get to the gist of my post….

WOW, aren’t we spoiled and an instant gratitude centric populous! Day-um, we want it now, cheap, hands free, automatic, symptom free and with zero learning curve. How soon we forget the unwrapping a pack just the way we prefer, tamping cigs for that just right pull, dumping ash trays, burn spots due to ashes, avoiding the pregnant and our g-babies, driving in any weather or distance for a pack, da STANK and on and on!

My oh my, only if we had to exert the same effort for cigs as we do for true lasting and meaningful relationships. But no, cigs were there and asked for nothing.

I guess my point is that so many are willing to inve$t in vaping, but not willing to invest in the learning curve. The ECF is the BEST source for those willing to learn. Ya won’t always get it right the first time. But we do have a tremendous ‘hive mind’ here, utilize it!

Now for a few personal observations:

Carts are awesome if you learn and take care of them. I get some of my best vapes from my original carts AND fillers. (Check my sig banner)
Blue foam is a suitable sub as a filler with its own issues. (trial & error)
510 and eGo tanks get the mission accomplished. (no leaks thus far)
A ultrasonic cleaner is a worthwhile inve$tment. (still using ALL my original equipment)
Dual coil atties work fantastically on my eGo batts (three diff mAhs). No funerals yet.
Spares cannot be over emphasized.
Just started dripping on a 510 and an eGo… well, so much for my patience…
Steeping can make a difference.
Vaping is not a fashion show... vape a PV that works fer ya.

Just within the short time I've been vaping, the recent advancements are encouraging. I'm not one to chase innovations and will wait for others to test the 'ice'. I do see a future where we will see a flattening of that inconvenient learning curve and enjoy a more carefree vaping experience. Till then, I'll be very comfortable with the 'bakky-free' lifestyle I now deeply appreciate.

I could go on, but my main point is that YOU may have to actually LEARN. No excuse with the ECF as a resource.

Ya’ll vape on!!!

Five different setups in six months. You are more than a technology chaser. You are obsessed :)

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
You are obsessed :)

Going by your sig, I've got a ways to go yet!
abused.gif

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas
Most of you never experienced the FDA ban in 2009, I started vaping in the middle of it. I read about e-cigs on a tech news site and went looking for one and couldn't find any, that's when I stumbled across ECF. It was here I learned of the ban and how most american suppliers were out of stock, as I read I learned of a couple of Chinese company's that were listing the items imaginatively to get them through customs. So my first e-cig, a BE112 from BestEcig, came marked as electronics parts, it was 4 months later that the ban was lifted and I no longer worried about getting my order.

Waiting a few days is one thing, having to wait a couple of weeks and not even knowing if you'll get it is another. So many people lost their orders at customs during that time it was pitiful, but we kept trying and kept learning. There weren't that many mods at the time, but they were useless with out attys, carts and e-liquid, and that came from China. In just the two years since I've been vaping e-cigs stuff have exploded, there is at least 10 or 15 times the stuff we had then, there are so many choices today even I get confused.

When I leave advice for a newb I tell them to keep it simple and learn how things work first and find some flavors they like, what drives me up a wall is someone with 2 or 3 months under their belt telling them they HAVE to get a reo or vv device. In my opinion if you can't remember beginning vaping, then keep your mouth shut, you doing more harm than good. I still have my BE112 it's my back up, then I have never had a desire to have massive amounts of vapor, what I use now gives me the flavor, TH and just a little more vapor than an analog gives smoke.

I didn't start vaping to impress people, I started vaping to get away from analogs, 99% of the newbs are doing the same thing. Massive amounts of vapor isn't going to keep you off the analogs, a satisfying feeling with the right amount of nic is going to do that. I try to let the newbs know it's not going happen real easy but if you keep at it you can stay away from smoking, it's a lot of trial and error and no one has all the answers, you just have to find what works for you.

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
+1 keep it simple. To which I would add...let them be.

Whatever works happily for someone is their best setup. Let's not turn into ANTZ to smokers...how soon we forget, or start segregation within the community...our numbers certainly do not warrant it yet. The worst irony of all would be, having escaped persecution of sorts, we extend it here.

I'm both new and experienced on different scales, and I still use carts...happily. Happy vaping to all! :)

edit: and, yes, it takes effort to save one's life, which is not composed of free lunches last I heard.

Last edited:

Lambch3p

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
Sunny Tampa Florida
I totally agree. You must take the time to learn. It's an investment of time, for your health. I happen to love my ego-t atty's. But I took the time to learn how to use them properly. I learned how to clean them, take them apart, adjust the wick and put them back together. I have even learned how to replace the wicks, which is the part that seems to degrade the fastest. Every atty I have bought since I have started vaping still works even though I replace them when the paint gets chippie. :facepalm: I understand that not everyone has the time to learn how to care for them and I guess that's why we use cartos too. They are just fill and go until dirty, then just grab a new one. It kind of irritates me to see people bashing products that they won't take the time to learn how to use or telling people to spend even more money buying something new rather then helping people use or fix what they already own. I've become quite techie with my e-cigs and I like it. I'm quite confident that I can troubleshoot any product I own because I invested the time, learning. No it's never going to be as easy as opening a pack of cigs and I don't think it ever will be. It's unreasonable to think that an electronic device will ever be as easy as lighting a cig. But our families, pets and our health is worth a little extra effort, don't you think? :)

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Diego, CA
please expand on the "Ultrasonic Cleaner"...

:confused:

An ultrasonic jewelry cleaner can be bought for under 30 bucks at several places both online and at stores. They work really well for breaking up the gunk that can get caked up on an atomizer from the juice being heated or being thick or dark in color or whatever, atomizers get gunked up sometimes. The best way I have found to breath new life into my 510 and 306lr atomizers is to pour some cheap Vodka into an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner every now and then or just when they start performing poorly or taste bad and turn it on and leave it for a bit to break up the crud and then rinse them out with distilled or filtered water, let dry and then reuse them over and over. I have only ever bought One 306 lr atomizer, that was over 4 months ago and it is still working perfect to this day.

HTH
Nate aka Darth Vapor

Most of you never experienced the FDA ban in 2009, I started vaping in the middle of it. I read about e-cigs on a tech news site and went looking for one and couldn't find any, that's when I stumbled across ECF.

My first attempt at vaping was affected by the ban, as well as iffy legislation that, at that time, was up in the air. I wasn't fortunate enough to find ECF, though. I had bought an (overpriced) NJOY from an online retailer (don't remember the name, but I know they switched to selling a different brand last year). Suddenly extra parts were not available, and with the legislative move to eliminate all flavored tobaccos, my choice in cartridges shrank from 10 to ONE because the retailer also pre-emptively stopped offering menthol. At that point, I hadn't actually switched to vaping, I used it to cut back on analogs, but because everything was so up in the air, I just gave up on it until I looked into vaping again last month. So, thanks to the FDA, I probably smoked for two years longer than I would have. I'm becoming convinced that the FDA's greatest skill lies in unintentional irony.

That said, I haven't completely quit analogs this time around. My self-designed program had a few unanticipated flaws, but I'm still only smoking a few analogs a day, and I foresee a complete switch to vaping in my future. Those flaws are related to the Learning Curve and delayed gratification being discussed here, in a way. I knew my taste buds would change, but I didn't realize how much. Some of the liquids that delighted and satisfied me a couple weeks ago now are repulsive, and the one liquid that always does the trick for me is one that I can't vape all the time because the cinnamon irritates me if I vape too much of it. So, it's back to sampling everything I can get my hands on and just hanging in there. Thank goodness for sales and discount codes.

Wired All Wrong

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2011
FL
Great post and I agree a 100%

I have smoked for more then half of my life, I tried quitting too many times to count, and each time it was hazardous to all around me... I quit quitting for a while lol... then one day I thought "heh, why not try e-cigs, just to try it, and if it's not working and I turn into a green monster, I'll just get another pack of smokes, cause they are always there"

I was not really planning quitting smoking, I just wanted to give it a try and to see if it would work enough to substitute...

While my first mall purchased kit had really sucked, it still worked, because I haven't needed to purchase another pack of smokes again since, I didn't have any of my normal moody withdrawals at all as I had in the past so many times before, and with the rest of it I could deal with.

I now have found a perfect combination of all the elements that I'm happy with thanks to this forum :) and that's after several bad pieces of equipment and some nasty e-liquids later, ...but I have not even considered going back to smoking, and I don't see myself doing so.

It's been 6 month analog free for me, and that's a milestone that I would have not even have imagined before I could get to prior to that... and now days, I don't see myself picking up another analog ever again, the though of it actually grosses me out now lol :blush:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    We had our choice of over 200 different brands of analogs, and everyone had their very own "there is no other". Vaping is no different, everyone has their own sweet spot. So why should anyone be surprised when they take someones suggestion and goes "yuck". The suggestions we offer are just alternatives to try.
    My observation is that we evolve as we go along with our vaping. What satisfied our needs yesterday won't after we have been vaping for a few months.

boughtrecords

Verified Member
    Feb 4, 2011
    Ottawa, KS
    I know for me the cinnamon redhot flavor was really one of the few flavors that really gave me that true full lung feeling that I craved but it does irritate after a day or two. I can only handle it once in a while now. Plus it seems to hang around FOREVER in an atty! I figured that I would only like tobacco flavors but I found that I don't even like tobacco flavors at all. I gave up on them altogether. I still make them for my friends but for me I have gone completely to non tobacco flavors. What I have found is that I love menthol which is odd for me because I HATED menthol cigarettes. No, seriously, I HATED menthol cigarettes. The menthol flavors that vendors sell didn't do much for me but I got some menthol crystals myself and crushed them up added them to everclear in equal amounts to make some high powered menthol drops to add to any flavor. The exact amount of the drops to add will vary per user, I use pretty extreme amounts compared to most but it does give a much better kick. I have found some flavor combos that I really like that I did not expect. Watermelon or Peach with menthol are both very nice. Some other flavors seem to give more as well such as coffee but it is tough to find a good coffee flavor the best one I have found is actually not coffee at all but a tiramisu flavor. For me the typical 20% is a bit strong and tastes a bit burnt but taking it down to about 12% gives a good plain black coffee flavor. Now if someone could make a decent cream flavor then my vanilla flavoring would make a good latte! I don't know if you DIY your juice or not but it is a great way to find that satisfaction. Of course it is also a great way to find frustration. The reward way outweighs the cost imho.

boughtrecords

Verified Member
    Feb 4, 2011
    Ottawa, KS
    We had our choice of over 200 different brands of analogs, and everyone had their very own "there is no other". Vaping is no different, everyone has their own sweet spot. So why should anyone be surprised when they take someones suggestion and goes "yuck". The suggestions we offer are just alternatives to try.
    My observation is that we evolve as we go along with our vaping. What satisfied our needs yesterday won't after we have been vaping for a few months.

Isn't it funny? When I started smoking I was Pall Mall non filters for YEARS!!!!!! none others would do, anything else seemed gross. Then I switched brands, then again, then again, then again. Isn't it great now that we can switch flavors by the drip, or screw on a different carto, or pick up a different PV? Man, cigarettes never offered these kinds of options!

I LOVE that we are all here, and that everyone can come ask questions, and that everyone offers their opinions, and that we can all have fun reading, asking questions, answering questions, growing and learning, and thinking YUCK! and getting ideas to try. I have learned so many cool things from people here! ECF is an awesome group of people!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread