Status
Not open for further replies.

vapspaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
SC
I have a question to all my past and current Genny family members out there. I've been using and loving my Genny set-ups for well over a year now and have used every imaginable wick and coil set-up there is. I'm happy with the vape from my genny's but just like everyone else out there in vape world, I always find myself looking for something even better. I think it's the classic "The grass is always greener .... " kinda thing we all face in our new smoke free world. I think the lack of rat poison or one of the other 4,000 chemicals we use to inhale has made us all a little OCD. :D

So here it is. I've been thinking about trying out the KFL+ or Russian 91%. My question is to all the past and/or present hardcore genny users out there. How many of you have tried either of these and fell in love with the vape quality and have retired your beloved genny to a cold lonely shelf collecting dust? Are these devices really that great or am I just suffering from to much time spent on ECF reading the fan boy hype about these devices. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing all the kayfun or R91 folks out there at all. I just want to here from past "long term" genny users what you think about these devices. I'm almost ready to take the plunge but I have to sell some of my other stuff to fund any more vape stuff or my wife will hang me by my left one with a rusty gaff hook. :blink:
I know... I know... I can always buy one and if I don't like it just turn around and sell it for the same price as I paid (or close to it), but I'm not wired like that and have a tendency to hang on to things even if I no longer use them. :D

Any insight from fellow or former genny users would be much appreciated. ;)

stauglocal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2012
Florida
Well, I was an avid genny user too until I finally broke down and got the Russian 91%. Don't get me wrong, I still use and love my gennys/hybrids. But, using a micro coil with cotton wick on the Russian, all I can say is WOW. The flavor, vapor production, and consistency is second to none. Do yourself a favor a get a Kayfun or Russian or both, you won't be disappointed. Just don't tell your wife I told you.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I've been using ss mesh gennys for probably 1 1/2 years and continue to, even though I also have several Kayfin Lites, Taifun GTs, and Squapes, which I enjoy as well. I don't look at it as an 'either/or' thing. I don't really think of it as one type of device as being superior to the other. I like the variety of different types.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
I don't have the longest track record, but I have been using gennies almost exclusively for 7+ months. Bought a KFL to see what all the hype was about. Its good. Very good. However! I still use gennies almost exclusively.

I'm not a big fan of plastic tanks. So, I use the steel section. I find it annoying not knowing how much liquid is in there, so I have to gauge liquid levels and/or re-fill it every time I want to take it out of the house. You have to leave a little air bubble in there, which you just have to guess at since you can't see anything in there. I almost find it a bit insulting to the customers to slap a polycarbonate tank on a "high end" atty of any kind. That's just me, tho. That stuff is not touching my liquids.

For setup, I really really prefer gennies. Much due to my preference for SS mesh wicks over silica/ekowool... and I can't be bothered swapping cotton every couple of days. Especially not since you have to dismantle the whole shebang to do so. Which can be messy. The KFL is not hard to set up or maintain, but both of these require you to dismantle it completely. I prefer dry-burning my gennies' SS wicks every now and then. Just pop the cap, dry burn, rinse and go.

Don't get me wrong. These are nitpicks, and very much about personal preference. I like the KFL, but I love my gennies. They just keep on trucking. A KFL-like atty purpose-made for SS mesh... now that would be something. Still, I like easy access to see how the wick and coil is doing.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I have stopped using mesh in my genesis attys but not the attys themselves. I now use micro coils and cotton in my dids. I find it much easier to set up and maintain. I have a couple kayfun lites and love them. I'll never roll and wrap a mesh wick again.

Micros and cotton in a genesis is much less positional and much less prone to leaking. I get just as much vapor and flavor if not more.

Good thread topic!

Last edited:

gmb225

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2013
somerset ky
I have stopped using mesh in my genesis attys but not the attys themselves. I now use micro coils and cotton in my dids. I find it much easier to set up and maintain. I have a couple kayfun lites and love them. I'll never roll and wrap a mesh wick again.

Micros and cotton in a genesis is much less positional and much less prone to leaking. I get just as much vapor and flavor if not more.

Good thread topic!

so r u saying u can build a micro coil cotton wick setup in something like a rsst? where would i find a video on how to do it? i have a reo to and the micro build works better than anything else i've ever had. just cant see it setup in a gen.

vapspaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
SC
Excellent feed back folks. Thank you!

Staug - Your advise is safe with me from the wife. :D

Rule - I agree 100%. I don't think I can ever walk away from my genny's completely. It's more about how well received these devices are with experienced genny users. As all long term experienced genny users know, with the right set-up on them it's a fantastic vape but the learning curve in the beginning is a PITA. That's why I ask for the long timers opinions like yours about this. Lot's of folks that have tried and tried to use a genny but just never got the hang of it would surely walk away and jump on the KFL/R91 wagon without knowing how good genny's can be. From all the reading I've been doing about these two devices, they sound like great devices. I just don't want to dump that kind of money into something if it's not at least on par with what I already have. A good example would be the UD AGT-ti I just bought a month ago. I thought what the hell, it's only $40 and might be a decent genny for while I'm out hunting or yaking. The thing absolutely sucks. LOL I have tried every coil/wick set-up known to mankind and drilled out the air hole and it just plain sucks. Another $40 down the tube that I could have put toward a higher end mod like one of these KFL+ or R91's.

It sounds like genny users like yourself are very happy with these. I think I'm one step closer to that rusty gaff hook. :D

Watt - You mentioned some very good points that I hadn't even thought about. I don't mind replacing a cotton wick (if I went that direction) every few days as long as it's a quick easy process. But from the sounds of it, these might be to much of a pain to deal with if you have to rip them completey apart just to change out the wick material. I gotta research this a little more cause that alone might persuade me from going down this road.

Thanks for all the feedback folks! Keep it coming and I appreciate it.

JimzDogz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
Pensacola, Florida, USA
I have a AGA-T2, RSST, Richman, Ti Cobra, SS Steam Turbine. I didn't believe anything could come close to touching those in flavor and vapor production. Last week I got in a Fogger V2 and the Tobeco KFL clone, curiosity got the better of me as well. The Fogger has already found it's place in the bottom drawer of my desk, enough said. But the Tobeco KFL clone is in my hand right now. I was very impressed by the fit and finish(it has a highly polished finish). The setup is easy and so far hasn't required any tweaking. The flavor and vapor is as good if not better than a Genny with my best coil setup. I'm not ready to toss my Genny's just yet(probably never) but this KFL clone is definitely top drawer material. I have a Russian 91% on the way now.

P.S. I bought my Tobeco KFL clone on Ebay for $63.00 + $6.00 shipping.

Last edited:

cghildreth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Central Texas
I was and still am a gennie fanboy. I absolutely love my gennies. Particularly my steam turbine, my Orion v2.1, and my iHy F3cta. I'm looking really damn hard at the

That said, I am looking at my desk, and I have two kayfuns and two dripping atties on it. Not a single genesis makes it with me to work. I think that I have mastered the gennie to a point that I get damn near as good of flavor from a gennie as from a dripper. The kayfun gives me the same level of flavor or slightly better than most of my gennies (and was much easier to learn). I have some juices that I think taste better on mesh (e.g. Suicide Bunny sucker punch) and some that I think taste better on cotton and/or silica (e.g. Nicoticket Betelguese). I use the juices I like on mesh in my gennies and the ones I like on cotton/silica in my kayfuns.

The kayfuns take the cake though for ease of portability and use. The kayfuns are not hyped - people rave about them because they're awesome.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
so r u saying u can build a micro coil cotton wick setup in something like a rsst? where would i find a video on how to do it? i have a reo to and the micro build works better than anything else i've ever had. just cant see it setup in a gen.

I don't know about a video... I just wrapped my coil like the pic below. What works for me is to leave the length of cotton hanging over the side like shown. With the wick draped over the coil.. it creates a seal at the wick hole and when it's layed on it's side, it doesn't tend to leak.

To put the wick in... roll it tight and get it started down into the coil.. when it comes out the bottom, take some needle nose tweezers and gently pull it out and down into the wick hole. Very easy to do, once you get the hang of it. I put the wick in dry though, I just snapped the pic with the tweezers showing how I pull the wick through.

Last edited:

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
I was pretty good at genesis attys.. they were all I used for 6 months or so. I even carried one everywhere with me. Always having to be aware of it's position got to be old though. When I bought the kayfun lite.. I was looking to get away from mesh and having to keep something upright all the time. The kayfun lite fit the bill perfectly! When I leave the house now, the kfl is what I take with me. My micro/cotton dids provide as good a vape but I use them here at home.

Don't get me wrong... I enjoyed using mesh but I began to dread recoiling it. With the juice I use now as my main vape (a peanutbutter/bavarian cream mix) I have to dry burn and rewick my kfl every day. But it only take about 5 minutes and isn't a hassle to me. I have a reo grand coming and I'm hoping to use that mix in it... rewicking the rm2 looks like it may be quicker and easier.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I have some juices that I think taste better on mesh and some that I think taste better on cotton and/or silica

this + 1000

I think this is one of the most overlooked parts when comparing wicks and attys. not every juice taste the same in every device with every wick.. some not so much but others I see a real difference. i think it will be a real fight to take my cobra and mega away from me when im vapin my DRY4 LOL

but I agree here as well:
The kayfuns take the cake though for ease of portability and use. The kayfuns are not hyped - people rave about them because they're awesome.

Last edited:

puchox

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2013
Montevideo, Uruguay
I'm a retired genesis user :p

I started vaping in may with a lavatube, a RSST and AGA. Genesis are great imho, but i'm a person who likes function over "flavor" :p
A little while later i decided to try cartotanks to see what was all the hype and it was much better for my needs, could transport them easily and didn't have to look after them. Besides the flavor was almost as good as the genny so i was happy.

3 weeks ago i started looking into the kayfun and its clones, almost every owner loves them so i had to try it :p

I received my r91 a week ago and i haven't touched another device, liked it so much that ordered a KFL+ and i'll probably order a couple of clones to take on vacation and such :)

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
You may want to take a look at the Rocket, it's a really cheap kfl/r91 clone, made of chromed brass and aluminum and plastic. It doesn't compare in build quality to the kfl or r91 but the setup is identical, and I'd even venture to say the vape is identical too. I got mine from FT for about $13 and I'm considering picking up a couple more or spending some money on the real deals. For that cheap it's worth it to pick it up and see if you like the concept.

I've used my aga-t2s for about 6 months, BUT I never used ss mesh in them. I went from silica to cotton. I had a cobra clone that had the best flavor of all(besides my drippers), but it had issues with the center post turning. The aga's have decent flavor but the large top cap mutes it a little.

vapspaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
SC
Wow! Thanks for all the feed back folks!

Less - Thanks for the heads up about the Rocket I have looked into that one but before I go any further, I don't want to turn this thread into another clone vs the real KFL vs the R91 kinda thread. You guys have that pretty much covered in all the other threads I've been lurking and reading through. LOL
But, with that said let me say that I have seriously considered snagging one of the cheap clones just to try the design out. I still might do that but at the end of the day, I have painfully learned from over 3 years of vaping that most of the time (not all) you get what you pay for. I have bought the cheap stuff then got ...... that it didn't perform like the real deal that everyone was raving about. So I spent the money on the real deal and sure enough, the vape quality was MUCH better than the cheapo I tried. There isn't anything wrong with going the cheap route but it's not for me anymore.

Now I just let all you younger richer folks try all the new shiny things first and set back and wait to see what comes out on top. Hence the reason I started this thread. These KFL's / R91's seem to be holding on and going strong for a very long time now so I know they have got to be great devices but I needed to hear from genny users to see if they are truly on par or maybe even better than a genny vape.

From what I'm hearing here, it sounds like a KFL or R91 will be in my near future. I've seen a few photo's of the KFL on a GP Paps SS 2.5 and that set-up in the little 18350 looks outstanding IMHO. So guess what else I'll be hunting down to go along with the KFL. :D

Now I just need to get around to snapping some photo's of my gear I need to part with and get them up in the classy's. Never thought the day would come that I would be considering selling off one of my DiD's and one of my Provari's. :unsure: :facepalm:

Hey wait! Can we sell our dogs here on ECF? :blush:

So how about you all tell me about this changing the wick thing on these. Watt mentioned he doesn't like the fact that you have to rip it completely apart but Donnah says that it's not that big of a deal. I know everyone has there own level of BS they can deal with before one gets frustrated but how bad it re wicking one of these guys? I think I can see how it would be a little messier than a genny especially using cotton where you need to replace it every day or two but how bad is it?

Thanks again to each of you for sharing your thoughts and insight. Much appreciated. :toast:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread