FDA Article from The Atlantic which gives some insight into the FDA approval process for analogs - will this be the future for ecig product approvals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzie

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Staten Island, NY, USA
I found this article in a link on reddit. While I'm all for keeping new analogs off the market, I have to wonder if e-cig/vaping vendors will face similar hurdles when trying to get products approved once the FDA regulates e-cigarettes. If so, things don't look good for vape products or vapers.

Sorry if I come off as an "alarmist," but knowledge is power and I'm guessing the FDA won't be any more "friendly" or speedy concerning e-cig product approvals. All the more reason for vapers to take the comment period seriously and get on board with organizations in the know, like CASAA, to make sure our concerns are heard and addressed before the proposed regs are finalized.

How the FDA Is Keeping New Cigarettes Off the Market - Jacob Grier - The Atlantic

Belushi

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2009
The Colony, TX
I agree, the approval process is the black-hole in the FDA proposal. Things laid out in black-and-white can be dealt with, the approval process is a moving target that the FDA can manipulate as they see fit.

When it comes to vaping devices and the ability to build unlimited number of configurations (ZMAX, Provari, iTaste,....., Protank, Clearomizer, cart, rebuildables, ....., atomizer resistance, varying juices Pg/Vg/nic-levels/flavors ...on and on) the approval process could get out of hand very quickly. Standards are inevitably will start to emerge, who controls those standards is the question, plus standards are going to lead to a lot less choice in the vaping market and less innovation. You really think the FDA is going to approve a re-buildable atomizer, don't think so (maybe wrong). Of course the ciga-a-like devices being gobbled up by BT will breeze thru the approval process... Next couple of years should be fun to watch, let the games begin. :)

pumasforpets

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2012
NWI
"This month the Center for Tobacco Products will come under the leadership of new appointee Mitch Zeller. Zeller departs his post with Pinney Associates, a pharmaceutical consulting firm that works with GlaxoSmithKline, a top producer of nicotine replacement products. Given that the agency regulates modified risk tobacco products and may soon take on e-cigarettes, this apparent conflict of interest has raised new concerns that FDA regulation will continue to have anti-competitive effects."

Now that I didn't know...but makes perfect sense. The unelected agencies are chock full of conflict of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread