Apr 19, 2012
North Carolina

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I was reading Clive Bate's latest posting (fantastic as usual) and one of the comments mentioned an article in New Scientist that I would like to read. I have not been able to find the article without paying for a subscription. Has anyone seen this article or a good summary?

Scientific sleight of hand: constructing concern about ‘particulates’ from e-cigarettes « The counterfactual

The link on the New Scientist works for me without pay....

http://www.newscientist.com/article...r-half-a-century-a-bad-move.html#.VGzRRbbwtOQ

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
I've been noticing more and more ANTZ using the term "ultrafine particles" as though it's some sort of synonym for "deadly stuff that will give you cancer."

There must be some central repository of "false equivalencies designed to mislead the ignorant" that they use; it's probably kept under lock and key somewhere on the UCSF campus.

Alto101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2012
North Carolina
Alto101 - I think this may be the article you're after.

That is it, thanks!

On a side note, I am getting so sick of reading quotes from Glantz. Is anything that he says at least somewhat accurate? I wish someone in the industry had the standing and ability to sue him.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
On a side note, I am getting so sick of reading quotes from Glantz. Is anything that he says at least somewhat accurate?

Yes. One time I heard him say "My name is Stanton Glantz. I am a professor at the University of California, San Francisco." But that's were the accuracy ended.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The page is sponsored by "new scientist" but there's not a word of science in the article. Some otherwise intelligent people are saying some really stupid things that only undermine their credibility. The critics don't deny that vaping instead of smoking improves my health but they ignore that and reach frantically for any flimsy possibility that vaping must be such a danger to the health of people who don't do it that I should be denied what is good for my health. I'm sure I have the same concern for their health as they have for mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread