Aspire BDC - junk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
The aspire bdc uses similar heads to the pro tank 2. My guess is you didn't prime the coil first and let it soak in and clean the tank before using it the first time. My aspire came with a lot of machining residue and tooling oils taste like hot metal. Get new heads and soak the tank in rubbing alcohol overnight then rinse really well.

I would not soak the tank in rubbing alcohol unless you like the horrid taste of rubbing alcohol. Instead, soak them in PGA (pure grain alcohol) or unflavored vodka. You get the the same or better cleaning properties without the nasty taste and you can skip the rinsing with water that takes twice as long to dry compared to the evaporation characteristics of PGA.

PaulBHC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Arizona
The only problem I've been having is occasional leaking out of the bottom on the Vivi Nova-S. Otherwise they've been great for me

Sent from the Dark Star using Tapatalk

Bottom coils have a long tube to the tip. You get condensation running back down into the coil. It is thinner than juice. If you refill, rather than clean after each tank, that buildup will start leaking. Blow from the top into a towel or take it apart and clean out everything.

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
I would not soak the tank in rubbing alcohol unless you like the horrid taste of rubbing alcohol. Instead, soak them in PGA (pure grain alcohol) or unflavored vodka. You get the the same or better cleaning properties without the nasty taste and you can skip the rinsing with water that takes twice as long to dry compared to the evaporation characteristics of PGA.
I forget about PGA. But with any alcohol if you don't rinse , the residue you are cleaning can redeposit when it evaporates. Made that mistake many times. Isopropyl works better on machine tooling oils though. Wonder how well peroxide would work

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
I have had very little luck cleaning clearo heads. Over time, it's less frustrating to rebuild or replace them, instead of trying to get 2 more days of burnt tasting juice and weak hits out of them.

I clean and rewick them a couple times before rebuilding. Coils last a while but wicks don't. Once silica gunks up it's done unless you torch it above 2000 degrees and that's not really worth it

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I forget about PGA. But with any alcohol if you don't rinse , the residue you are cleaning can redeposit when it evaporates. Made that mistake many times. Isopropyl works better on machine tooling oils though. Wonder how well peroxide would work

Coils are primed with PG at the factory to keep them moist and protected from drying up. I sure hope nobody uses any machine tooling oils... If the taste of pure PG bothers you, just don't inhale the first few puffs off of fresh coils. I don't generally clean new coils. I just wash the tanks with warm water (with a little dish soap if they smell funny), rinse well and air dry--or not. You may soak a new coil head in PGA, cheap vodka or denture/retainer cleaner if the taste bothers you, but please do not dry burn it (especially double coils in the Aspire line) or bake it in the oven--just rinse.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I clean and rewick them a couple times before rebuilding. Coils last a while but wicks don't. Once silica gunks up it's done unless you torch it above 2000 degrees and that's not really worth it

I've cleaned plenty of wicks with a simple BIC lighter or my creme brulee torch. :) Just make sure to rinse them well after torching and dry burning, or you'll be tasting ash forever.

Last edited:

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
Coils are primed with PG at the factory to keep them moist and protected from drying up. I sure hope nobody uses any machine tooling oils... If the taste of pure PG bothers you, just don't inhale the first few puffs off of fresh coils. I don't generally clean new coils. I just wash the tanks with warm water (with a little dish soap if they smell funny), rinse well and air dry--or not. You may soak a new coil head in PGA, cheap vodka or denture/retainer cleaner if the taste bothers you, but please do not dry burn it (especially double coils in the Aspire line) or bake it in the oven--just rinse.
It was the tank I was talking about as I mentioned in an earlier post :) Every machine used to make these thing can leave tooling oil residue or grease. I worked in an injection moulding company making medical grade plastic containers and such and we always had to
watch because even though the tooling dies were sterile, the ejector pin could leave a grease spot from the lube used on the pin shaft.

BostonVape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
BeanTown
I've put in 4 drops into the coils (how the lady at ecigcharleston told me) and put juice in and let it sit for 10 minutes.

Anyways, I put my 3rd coils in now, tastes OK again.

I also ordered 4 new juices from lucky 7 vapors.

One of the reasons I started vaping was 1) to quit smoking (haven't had a cig since I started a week ago) and 2) save money.

If I go on a crazy spending spree bow the wife would kick my you know what :p

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I have heard (and this could be BS) that the Aspire heads have a higher failure rate than the kanger replacement heads.. I have not used them myself so I can't back it up.. but my buddy who owns a vape shop no longer carrys them because of all the complains hes gotten.

GPC2012

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Reedley Ca
We have two aspire BDC's and two Hypertanks, love em both. I have found that they do better with a lower ohm coil. I use 1.8 and have located a site that carries a 1.6 unless it's a misprint. If you can run by watts instead of volts I run about 7 to 8 watts on either. Next time you clean the coil try soaking it in vodka for about 20 minutes then shake it around remove it and let dry for a day. Seems to do well for me.

One thing i noticed with the BDC's is they started really working great when i got a quality battery. I'd been using them for months with a string of cheap egos - even then i liked them, but had the flavor/clogged issues you mention. Once i picked up an iTaste VV, no more clogging or bad tastes, they just work, normally up to a week for a coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread