Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Anyone else have a problem with the Aspire BDC taste? To me the taste isnt that good ive filled it up twice from using it and the flavor just isnt that good with mine and i do get burnt taste even at lower volts. I can only vape 100% VG juice

That's what I was afraid of. I got one just to see what all the fuss was about. As a 100 VG user the two things I noticed right away were those two tiny holes in the coil assembly. I have my doubts about these things working with anything but the thinnest PG liquids. That, and empty the thing has a bizarrely stiff draw, like there's a pile of wicking in the coil assembly that has to be "fought through". I suspect the draw gets easier when the wicking in there gets wet, but still...

The Aspire went right into my "later" pile. I'm not expecting anything different than what you reported once I decide to try it. Maybe.

Griff.J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
ON Canada
You're not alone.. PB did a follow up and there appears to be different versions of the 2-hole atomizer. One version that PB and Dimitri got worked perfectly but others taste burnt. Click-Bang Radio guy got all burnt tasting ones and I think they were from Nhaler or something. So there doesn't seem to be a follow up yet as to why there are 2 versions of the 2-hole atty so I'm not sure where you would go to get the good ones, other than from Eigate which is the maker of the good ones PB received.

JoeDerty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Carrollton, Georgia, United States
You're not alone.. PB did a follow up and there appears to be different versions of the 2-hole atomizer. One version that PB and Dimitri got worked perfectly but others taste burnt. Click-Bang Radio guy got all burnt tasting ones and I think they were from Nhaler or something. So there doesn't seem to be a follow up yet as to why there are 2 versions of the 2-hole atty so I'm not sure where you would go to get the good ones, other than from Eigate which is the maker of the good ones PB received.

Thanks for the info I got mine from nhaler I ordered some new ones From myfreedomsmokes.com I'll see how that goes. I'll look into the eigate's

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Thanks for the info I got mine from nhaler I ordered some new ones From myfreedomsmokes.com I'll see how that goes. I'll look into the eigate's

Just for giggles (not really..) when you get the new ones do what I tried: Check the draw on 'em empty, see what you get, and see if there is any correlation between how it draws empty and if there are any problems. Or not. I just can see how an Aspire with such a tight, cross-eyed draw when empty isn't gonna have a problem maintaining the right amount of liquid in that atomizer "cartridge". Unless it's counting on that very tight pull to suck liquid in there.

gotch23

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2011
Fukuoka, Japan
I have the aspire... two hole version.

And i do not recognise that bizarrely tight draw... at all.
Also i think testing the draw resistance before filling it up doesn't say anything.
Most any device will feel tight.

As for 100 % vg... Yes i could imagine, that wicking could be a problem.
Many devices have problems with that.

For me it vapes better than a protank II, and it can take higher wattages
(with proportional extra amounts of vapour) as well.
For me the drawback is, that the heads cannot be rebuilt like in the protank.
So still probably no future buys from me.

mgavilondo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2013
I have the Aspire and because of the taste use it exclusively over the Evod and Protank mini now relegated to backup status.. I think the issue IMHO seems to be inconsistency on QC with heads. I bought the 2 holed version from Vivid Smoke... And using the ET Aspire on a MVP. The head that came with it was awesome, lasting almost 3 wks, excellent flavor, perfect draw, great vapor. I always use 50/50 juice btw. Started getting a funky flavor after 3 wks, so I changed the head to the replacements 1.8ohms and it was great 2 days before I started getting a very tight draw, and weird flavor aftertastes .. Also would burn at the same watts that worked before with the 1st coil. Figuring it was a bad head I changed it out and the 3rd was like the first, and finally the CLS from Nicoticket was tasting like the reviews touted, awesome..but didn't last as long. 3rd head sucked... In my 4th and it is performing awesome again. Right now vaping for me is a bipolar experience lol. I'm hoping since these clearos are new, the QC issues will get better in future versions. I don't want to give up on the Aspire because of a few lousy heads, the taste when you get a good one is awesome as is the vapor, but the cost of owning will be pricy if this isn't worked out. I'm too much of a newbie to even take these apart to dry burn.. There's no video on cleaning and since the replacements are more $ than the tank. I think anyone having success with cleaning and dry burning should YouTube it already since these things are being talked about like its a game changer. So far for me it's given the best taste and vapor out if anything else I've used (when you get a good coil, that is. Wish it was less random.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nibiru2012

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
The Oort Cloud
I agree with mgavilondo about the coil head cleaning and the Aspire in general. These units literally rock!

The best price I've found for the 5-pack replacement coil heads is $9.99 for either the 1.8 or 2.1 ohm units at Discount Vapers. So $2.00 for a new coil head that lasts two to three weeks seems to be a very reasonable cost to me.

Now I have heard of a couple of people cleaning the head by doing a gentle simmer in distilled water for about 5-10 minutes, then changing the water and doing it again until the water is clear and the head is basically odor-free. Then they let it air dry and then do a dry burn on it to remove any residual residue around the coils and wicks. I haven't tried this yet but I will and when I do I'll post my results here. One may possible speed up the drying process by placing them in the oven set at about 180-200 degrees, a low enough temp to dry them out with out damaging any internal parts such as the fiber liner or silicone seal ring washer.

Also, Eric at Discount Vapers recommends taking the unit apart and washing all the parts except for the coil head to remove any residual manufacturing residue or film.

The way I fill them is to let the juice soak the head for about five minutes then do several gentle pulls to ensure the head is thoroughly saturated with juice prior to powering it. So far it's been working great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread