Vaping and asthma

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICK55FLA

Sep 27, 2009
cen fla
I have been smoking 2-3 packs a day for 30+years,,, Just found out I have what the Doc called " Reactive Asthma". I MUST quit but I'm a serious nicotine addict.
My asthma trigers seem to be perfumes and cleaning chemicals.
I tried a pipe and pipe tobacco,,had a reaction that sent me to the Doc and that's how I found out about the Asthma.

I've tried gums, lozenges, patches, nothing seems to help. I don't really want to waste $500 on e-cig if it is going to cause an attack.

Thanks
Rick

See if one of your friends has an E-cig you can borrow to try vaping out to see if it triggers an attack. I've seen folks on this board who are asthmatic and vape with no problems. Of course everyone is different and this might trigger an attack, so prudence is in order.

And if a friends does'nt have an E-Cig you can borrow, you can always purchase a disposable E-Cig and try that for an inexpensive answer.

abhowe

Moved On
Sep 14, 2009
Vapor is not smoke...... Vapor is warmed air....... Air does not cause asthma....... Nicotine should not cause ashma unless you are allergic to it....... If you are a past smoker, or have used nicotine patches and gum with no reaction, E-Cigs should not have any effect on asthma...... Check with your doctor and he will tell you the same thing ......
Tobaco is a weed....... Most asthmatics are allergic to weeds, pollun, and coral dust.... Nicotine is not related to any of these substances......
You can buy a cheap E-cig for 50 bucks........ Actually I paid 59 for my 510.......
From a 45 year asthmatic.........

Jbugz

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2009
Plant City, Florida
You could start out spending much less than $500. Go to the classifieds section of this forum and you could probably find a great unit for under $50. Then buy yourself some juice (either in the classifieds or from an online store). It's still not free to try, but it isn't $500 either. I hope you can find one quickly and that it works out with your asthma. Good Luck:)

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
Also, just a side note.....

Although vaping shouldn't "cause" an attack, if you are already suffering from the asthma (bronchial irritation) it "can" be enough to put you over the edge just due to already having that scratchy irritation from other sources.

I find that often I need to keep water nearby to sip both before and after a vape during those times simply to keep my throat moist as PG and/or VG will dry you out enough to cause a coughing fit (for me anyways).

There's lots of inexpensive kits available out there to try, and not even a bling bling mod with run you $500. Its all about not getting carried away at purchasing a bunch of different ones right off the bat, or going nuts with supplies/accessories.

I feel you came to the right place to check out all the different models and reliable suppliers to make your decision easier. Just take your time in deciding, watch/read the reviews of products/suppliers and keep an open mind that as with many things, a lot are quite subjective to the individual.

Best of luck in your decision and future......

VapeOn,
Greg

AshHole

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Pinellas County, Fl
My wife is asthmatic - not chronic, but would have a few triggers a year. Smoking never bothered her - only made things worse when things were acting up.

She has been vaping a month now without issue.

You should check with your doctor though, or at least let them know in advance, of what you are thinking of doing. You might need to have some prepared information about vaping ready though.

Vaping as already stated can be started for a lot less than $500, although you could easily spend that much once you get started - these gizmos are pretty addicting.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I would also recommend getting a 510 starter kit and a little juice. e-smokeytreats.com (am not affiliated with them) has good joye 510s and really fast delivery. You could certainly get a very good idea of whether it will work for you for under $100, certainly (I think it will, and agree with the other comments in this thread). Most places have a 2-4 week return policy, if it does not work for you.

Of course that does not mean that if it works well you won't want to get extra stuff! It is, in general, an extremely effective technology, and it is working for me when nothing else has. Now I don't even LIKE the taste of cigarettes, and I'm only about two weeks in!! :D

I would advise NOT going with one of the Mall-type brands, like Smoke Everywhere or Njoy. They have a bad track record on both customer service and reliability of their product. Do some research in this group, read reviews, watch review youtube vids, and figure out exactly what will work for you, depending on your daily routine. For example, if you are at home on the computer all day, you may want a USB passthrough, and so would want a model of ecig that has one available for it. If you are out and about all day, batteries will be the issue, so a PCC charger case might be appropriate. The thing is this is NOT like Nicatrol inhaler, which is one model, only their cartridges. This is a very evolved technology spanning many types of models for many types of personal needs. But before you buy, make sure that you get a model from a reputable company. Ripoffs get destroyed here, and there are several ripoffs out there.

You have definitely found the right place to make a wise decision you will be happy with.

Good luck and let us know what happens! We really do want to hear about it!

Kurt

1inchgroup

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2009
Similar situation...might help you make the decision. Everyone's triggers are different, so don't take my experience as gospel. "Acquired" asthma when I was in the Gulf, and I've been tied to one of those inhalers for the last 10 years. 20+ years of 2 packs a day smoking.

Started up with these PV's last week or so, and have dropped my cigarette consumption to 1/3-1/5 of what I used to smoke. Shower floor hasn't been a pretty sight as my lungs seem to think I've quit. No trouble getting to sleep now...when it used to be that raspy lung gurgling or coughing keeping me up. No temper flares from lack of nicotine during the day...no incessant thinking about going outside to have a smoke...

Best thing, I can breathe. Inhaler has been in my pocket in it's usual spot...but I haven't used it during the day for about 3 days now.

I'd call you a ..... if you didn't smoke and wanted to try this...but it's definately better (for me anyway) than inhaling smoke. First few days were a little rough...lungs felt like they do on a high smog day in Riverside CA...kind of hurt when you breathe in deep. No troubles today.

Good luck.

Crankyfuzz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2009
Certainly not top of the line but only ten bucks to try.
dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29044
I cant post links so you will have to copy and paste that.
Just figured id throw that out so youre not wasting a bunch of money to find out.

Ive heard it can take weeks to get something from dealextreme

My only concern for you would be since you have reactions to perfumes not sure if vaping would affect that. I am not ashmatic nor do i know anyone who is that vapes but I can tell you I can breathe better.

You can pick up a Joye 510 no box kit at cignot.com for 35.00 and pick up a small bottle of juice to go with it the carts wont last long. Worse comes to worse you can always sell it here on the forum in the want ads.

Good luck

RICK55FLA

Sep 27, 2009
cen fla
UPDATE- I bought a kit from a buddy's wife. Got 2 batt, 1 atty, 1 wall charger and 9 carts -3High Nic-3Lownic-3Nonic.

The unit says Mini Cig on it and the box just says E Cigerette.

So far I've been REALLY disappointed with this. All the carts taste like a mix of Cheap 305 cigs, pipe tobacco, and perfume ( which causes my asthma to act up) and it seems like I'm sucking liquid because my lips and tongue burn like hell

The batts only seem to last for about 5 hits. Very little vapor,,very hard draw.
I think my biggest disappointment is the taste,,oily/perfume

I'm going to order a 510 and get some other drips.

I'm not giving up ,,but just REALLY disappointed.

grimmer255

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
somewhere out there......
UPDATE- I bought a kit from a buddy's wife. Got 2 batt, 1 atty, 1 wall charger and 9 carts -3High Nic-3Lownic-3Nonic.

The unit says Mini Cig on it and the box just says E Cigerette.

So far I've been REALLY disappointed with this. All the carts taste like a mix of Cheap 305 cigs, pipe tobacco, and perfume ( which causes my asthma to act up) and it seems like I'm sucking liquid because my lips and tongue burn like hell

The batts only seem to last for about 5 hits. Very little vapor,,very hard draw.
I think my biggest disappointment is the taste,,oily/perfume

I'm going to order a 510 and get some other drips.

I'm not giving up ,,but just REALLY disappointed.
:shock:hold on before you go nuts. I highly recommend you trying out cartomizers. over at Vapor4Life:: Because it's your life :: Electronic Cigarettes & Alternatives to Smoking. that would be a great start for you. and if the batteries dont last on your mini try letting the batteries charge for one hour to an hour in a half. there should be an indicator light on the charger. When you put it in the light should show red which means its charging. Once its done charging it should turn green. And if it said mini that may be a 901. does it have a cigar tip? There not to bad once you get use to it... try taking longer slow easy puffs.... dont drag on it like a regular cigarette. Also drip 2-3 drops down into the attie. This is called dripping....take the stuffing out of the carts before doing this. then place cart back on attie. TRy this with a fully charged mini and you will be surprised remember the mini (901) batteries need at least a 1-2 hour charge. just throwing that in there. Also go to AltSmoke | Personal Vaporizer : The Yeti, JOYE510, DSE901 and More! he is a good guy and he has 510's and 901's plus all kinds of stuff. He also has the Silver Bullet... but I will leave that up to you to check that out.

Last edited:

whistlrr

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2009
Michigan's Knobbywristbone
Random thoughts about Asthma and E Cigs:

Note these are NOT suggestions they are merely WONDERMENTS and not be run off and done, check with your doctor first etc etc before even thinking about trying any of this):

I have wondered before about nebulizer machines and vaporizers:

if a person couldn't even possibly vaporize their medication in a PV, you know, the medication that would normally go into a nebulizar machine or vise versa, if a person could put their e-liquid into a nebulizer machine and use it that way.

I know they sell a portable nebulizer that is roughly about $300 just for the portability (its called an omron VMT or something).. wonder if PVs could put the overpriced nebulizer guys like this out of business, especially if a way could be found to get enough medicine into a big enough cartridge (maybe an e-cigar or e-pipe might be big enough, just guessing I have no idea)

also there is Lobelia/lobeline and its 'extract' that can be gotten and somebody (nhaler I think) has pre-fabbed an e-juice that has this in it, calling it "lung juce"

lobelia/lobeline is kind of interesting because its somehow sort of like a nicotine/tobacco replacement that stops cravings and can even be good for asthma ((I'm sure that isn't exactly accurate but its something along those lines)

Also, remember PG can irritate the throats of non-asthmatics, wonder if VG might be a better safer choice to try, and if a person goes DIY maybe they could go real easy on the flavorings (just in case a strong flavor might be enough to annoy their asthma).

EDITED to add:

I just sat here and had probably whats the worst idea of all come to mind.. but here it comes anyway:

What if a person could actually put nicotine into their asthma medication, killing two birds (but hopefully not the asthmatic!!) in the process?

What if they had nicotine-hopped-up nebulizer medication or vise versa, and instead of sitting for one whole nebulizer session of 15 20 minutes or however long it is, intead they just refilled their PV cartridges throughout the day and got both their medication and their nicotine at the same time in bits and pieces throughout the day?

Last edited:

grimmer255

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
somewhere out there......
Random thoughts about Asthma and E Cigs:

Note these are NOT suggestions they are merely WONDERMENTS and not be run off and done, check with your doctor first etc etc before even thinking about trying any of this):

I have wondered before about nebulizer machines and vaporizers:

if a person couldn't even possibly vaporize their medication in a PV, you know, the medication that would normally go into a nebulizar machine or vise versa, if a person could put their e-liquid into a nebulizer machine and use it that way.

I know they sell a portable nebulizer that is roughly about $300 just for the portability (its called an omron VMT or something).. wonder if PVs could put the overpriced nebulizer guys like this out of business, especially if a way could be found to get enough medicine into a big enough cartridge (maybe an e-cigar or e-pipe might be big enough, just guessing I have no idea)

also there is Lobelia/lobeline and its 'extract' that can be gotten and somebody (nhaler I think) has pre-fabbed an e-juice that has this in it, calling it "lung juce"

lobelia/lobeline is kind of interesting because its somehow sort of like a nicotine/tobacco replacement that stops cravings and can even be good for asthma ((I'm sure that isn't exactly accurate but its something along those lines)

Also, remember PG can irritate the throats of non-asthmatics, wonder if VG might be a better safer choice to try, and if a person goes DIY maybe they could go real easy on the flavorings (just in case a strong flavor might be enough to annoy their asthma).
I was thinking the same thing about PG just a second ago... but unfortunately you will have to look around in the suppliers area to find out who carries VG ejuice and yes VG gives out a little more vapor... and its really smooth. But from what Ive heard it does not last as long as PG... But If your willing to spend a few extra bucks on liquid... Totally wicked is by far the smoothest tasting liquid I know of... ITs very well balanced in flavor and PG/VG mix... but its $29.95 for a 30ml bottle... but its so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread