Asthma...Weird reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeeYourHairSmellsTerrific

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Hi to all. I'm sure this has come up before but I'm experiencing something kind of odd. I'm over a month with no analogs and have noticed generally better lungs. I never went into massive lung clearing coughing etc. I have had lots of throat clearing type stuff but that was it. I'm cutting my PG juice with some VG now as I find it kinder on my throat.

When smoking I needed my rescue inhaler probably at least 2x in the morning and the same before bed. Less since vaping, just in the a.m.

I woke up last night in a full, and I mean scary, asthma attack. I haven't had one of those in 10 years. I use the inhaler when I get wheezy and tight and just need to cough more productively. This was different and very bad.

Anyone else have this happen when switching to vaping? I will take it up with the doc but of course they will have little or no knowlege about vaping so I doubt they will have too much to offer me in the way of a solid opinion. Otherwise I feel fine, was fine when I went to bed, no new allergens etc. No new juices etc. Just seemingly random attack.

Thanks in advance for any opinions anyone may have.

xaiver56

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Grand Prairie, TX
I have asthma and when I was smoking I would have an attack like the one you are describing maybe twice a year, they are definately scary. I have only been vaping for about a month and a half and I have not had an attack like that nor has my asthma acted up at all. I would definately check with the doctor though. I use a 50/50 PG VG mix for everyday vaping

P3rplexity

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Texas
Yikes, very sorry to hear about your experience Gee. While I'm no doctor myself, your asthma attack could somehow be due to the very drastic change you've made to your body in the last month. Sometimes changing a habit (even from something bad like analog cigs to vaping) can have weird effects on the body, and everybody's reactions can be different. The 4000+ Chemicals your body has been used to getting for however long are now absent,so who knows exactly whats going to happen.

How long did you smoke before you started vaping? That probably has a lot to do with it.

Hope you find somebody who may have a more solid answer. And don't count your doctor out just yet, they are usually aware of any sort of major inventions such as the E-cig.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
xaiver makes a good point. it could be a delayed response to PG. Or perhaps a certain allergen happened to be in the air that night. I don't have asthma, but I have gotten a weezy/flemmy reaction to PG, so I make juices from VG-only high nic juice and VG to dilute.

Perhaps also one of the flavors you are using is not something your lungs like. In general with these things it is not an all-gone-at-once thing. Rather bad spells become less and less frequent.

If your doc doesn't know about vaping, he/she might tell you to stop. Seems to be the normal reaction. Treat the unknown with arrogant malice.

GeeYourHairSmellsTerrific

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Well I didn't get to talk to the doc after all. This is still happening to me, probably every other night. Truly awful asthma attacks, always around 3 to 4 a.m. strangely. What juice I'm using seems to have no effect. Hmmm, weird. I never need my inhaler at all during the day anymore, but those night time attacks are scary bad.8-o

KermieD

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2009
Oshkosh, WI
It's not overly unusual for those who quit smoking to get asthma when they do. It's probably related to the quitting, not to the vaping. I would definitely see a doc. You may need to get on some sort of light steroid to reduce the swelling of the lung tissues at night.

If you insist on not seeing a doctor, try taking an Alleve (or ibuprophen, but not Tylenol) before you go to bed and see if that has any effect on your attacks at night. It probably won't get rid of them, but may help lessen the severity. If it does lessen the severity, you should definitely see a doctor about getting on a steroidal anti-inflammatory.

angjen0816

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Menasha, WI
Hi to all. I'm sure this has come up before but I'm experiencing something kind of odd. I'm over a month with no analogs and have noticed generally better lungs. I never went into massive lung clearing coughing etc. I have had lots of throat clearing type stuff but that was it. I'm cutting my PG juice with some VG now as I find it kinder on my throat.

When smoking I needed my rescue inhaler probably at least 2x in the morning and the same before bed. Less since vaping, just in the a.m.

I woke up last night in a full, and I mean scary, asthma attack. I haven't had one of those in 10 years. I use the inhaler when I get wheezy and tight and just need to cough more productively. This was different and very bad.

Anyone else have this happen when switching to vaping? I will take it up with the doc but of course they will have little or no knowlege about vaping so I doubt they will have too much to offer me in the way of a solid opinion. Otherwise I feel fine, was fine when I went to bed, no new allergens etc. No new juices etc. Just seemingly random attack.

Thanks in advance for any opinions anyone may have.

I dont have asthma, but I did have a horrid attack the first week I was vaping. I woke up and just couldn't breathe, non stop coughing, it went on for about 15 mins before I passed back out. Hasn't happened since.

Frostmonkey

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
Joliet, IL
I've been vaping for about 2 weeks and have just started to notice that almost every time I vape my lungs close up and I need to use my asthma inhaler. It seems I am definitely allergic to something in my current mixture which is TW 36mg Tobacco flavored e-liquid cut to 18mg with VG and raspberry flavoring.

Now that I think about it, the LorAnn raspberry flavoring could be the problem. I've been using this flavor for only a few days now, before I used LorAnn English toffee and I don't think it bothered me as much.

From what I've read it seems it may be either the PG or the flavoring. And pure VG feels much better on the throat, but you lose flavor and throat hit so I hope I can keep a 50/50 mix.

Frostmonkey

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
Joliet, IL
Vaping will dry you out and dry bronicals aren't a good thing.
My son has asthma and just running the furnace meant running a vaporizer. Drinking more would be a good start.

Very good point as I have been dehydrated thanks to all this Stella I've been drinking :lol:. I'll try to limit myself on the booze, see if that helps. Thanks!

Pav

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
Detroit Rock City
I'm no doctor, so this is not expert advice: I had asthma as a child and had bad attacks and needed a ventolin inhaler. The asthma went away once I got into my late teens. I also started smoking in my late teens. Never had any asthma since.

When I had an exam a few years ago a doctor was looking at my chart and saw I had asthma as a kid. He then asked if I smoked which I did at over a pack a day. He told me if I quit smoking there would be a chance that the asthma could return. I guess smoking paralyzes the small hairs in your lungs which are what get clogged up with mucous thus causing asthma. At least that's how I remember him explaining it.

imo I think this has more to do with quitting smoking than starting vaping. See what a doctor says. I'm curious if there is truth to what that other doctor told me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread