At the risk of jinxing it... (new member, first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdaedalus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
I'm on my third day of vaping, got in on a group buy for a mini Protank 2 without having ANY other gear, found there was a brick-and-mortar shop an eight-minute walk from my place, so I went and got a 650mAh Ego C, a handful of cheap clearomizers (a T2 and a couple of CE4s) and some 11mg juice (Desert Ship and Mint (non-tobacco, straight mint).

Anyway, that was on Tuesday, I smoked my last analog on Wednesday at lunch, and haven't looked back. Pack-a-day smoker for twenty years (!!), smoking Camel blues when I started vaping. I fully understood that nothing could fully replicate the burning-leaves-and-twigs flavour of analogs, but I actually find that the Desert Ship presses a lot of the right buttons and I don't miss the Camels!

I was at the tail end of a cold when I started, which I think worked to my benefit, because the throat hit was most of what I could feel, I had no real sense of smell/taste. Now that things are coming back I find I enjoy the juices I got and have been puffing away happily.

I was a bit nervous going to bed the first night, not knowing what my first early-morning coffee experience would be like, but in my groggy state I just reached for the PV and 'smoked' while I had my coffee, not even thinking about it until halfway into the cup! I even picked up some zero-nic juice this afternoon because last night I found I overdid it and got a bit woozy; I still wanted to vape, but my body was saying 'no more nicotine please.' Sadly, the zero-nic I picked up was a Dekang chocolate, I just wanted to try something that went with my weekend beers and picked up a cheap 5ml bottle. Anyway, that one is terrible, lesson learned.

I've got a couple of extra batteries and some replacement coils for the mini Protank on the way from Canvape, and I'm eagerly awaiting that mini from the group buy.

I feel like this is potentially boring to existing members, but you all seem so supportive from what I've read so far, and I'm hoping some other pack-a-day 'lifers' might read this and see a silver lining.

Mark_Henson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
Jacksonville, FL, United States
I'm still new to vaping, been at it 3 weeks, and have gone thru several different juices till I found what I liked. I was a pad smoker for more than forty years, and do not miss them at all. I have a butter rum/khalua mix that is perfect with the morning coffee, and a menthol that I vape thru out the day. Welcome to the world of vaping, and yes, the folks here are the greatest!

CCC1

Sep 6, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Welcome and good job on giving up the analogs. I started with the tobacco flavoured juices and they got me to stop smoking. But at around the 10 day mark I got so I hated the taste of the tobacco juice. I had some flavoured juices and switched to those and now I switch back and forth between the tobacco and the others. The chocolate flavour you have might go great with morning coffee. If I'm having a drink I'm right back to the tobacco flavour. I love having the option of choosing different flavours but if I'm drinking it HAS TO BE tobacco. Old habits die hard :)

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
37 year quitter here and loving every minute of not being stinky ! Congrats to you and your recent order. You should like the new protank. We will see you again next week when you want to know why it tastes a bit burnt..:D ( hope you ordered extra heads) and we will tell you 6 ways how to clean it......

Thats not a bad thing, its just all part of your long journey........ Welcome

RedNBlack

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
NE Georgia USA
Welcome vdaedalus to the ECF, and CONGRATS.

Same here, if Joe Camel made it, I had smoked it, from the non-filtered all the way to the Blues. Vaping a Desert Camal at the moment, that if fact "presses a lot of the right buttons and I don't miss the Camels!"
2 PAD smoker for 40+ years and I did not think it would work......but it DOES....
Nothing anyone in the ECF neighborhood posts is "boring"....... and you are correct, someone else may be looking for a silver lining and reading your post, see that it is possible.... :)

NiNi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
Paulden, Arizona
WOOT, WOOT! Way to go, ALL of you!:toast:
Welcome to ECF!

vdaedalus, you might just want to get one low nic juice for "just in case". Sometimes stressors can make you think you need a smoke, when all you need is a bit of nic to chill you out. Cover your......if you know what I mean!

And to all of you new vapers, if you don't have a B & M nearby, order samples from vendors! http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/439892-suppliers-sampler-juice.html

I didn't realize this existed until my 8th month tobacco free and I was in that boring e-juice faze. Mix up your choices. There's a lot of really great minds out there creating some really fantastic "tastes". You might even get the DIY bug!

:)

vdaedalus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Welcome! And from what I've noticed so far, everyone loves a story of a quitter :)

I didn't open with that for my first post for no reason, I was a bit strategic, haha.

I'm still new to vaping, been at it 3 weeks, and have gone thru several different juices till I found what I liked. I was a pad smoker for more than forty years, and do not miss them at all. I have a butter rum/khalua mix that is perfect with the morning coffee, and a menthol that I vape thru out the day. Welcome to the world of vaping, and yes, the folks here are the greatest!

Yeah, I haven't written off that chocolate flavour, but really it was the cheapest, I was just looking to get a zero-nic flavour that would go with beer, since you know...weekend. I might actually mix in a couple of drops of the mint I have, which I quite like, and see where that goes. I'm finding it astonishing how quick the turnover has been so far though. I've quit before, so all of the bush league stuff is out of the way: ashtrays and lighters gone, out of sight. But I haven't found myself wishing I had the real thing, not even once, yet.

I too am a long time smoker and just started. I wish you the best. Congrats.

Thanks, you too. Feeling good about this one, no one at the office even noticed, which is saying something, because normally my mood alone would bring someone to deduce it.

Welcome and good job on giving up the analogs. I started with the tobacco flavoured juices and they got me to stop smoking. But at around the 10 day mark I got so I hated the taste of the tobacco juice. I had some flavoured juices and switched to those and now I switch back and forth between the tobacco and the others. The chocolate flavour you have might go great with morning coffee. If I'm having a drink I'm right back to the tobacco flavour. I love having the option of choosing different flavours but if I'm drinking it HAS TO BE tobacco. Old habits die hard :)

I already feel that coming, re: tobacco flavours, but like you say, if I'm drinking... What I should have done is picked up the Desert Ship I'm fine with, in a zero-nic strength, and just put it in a separate, Dymo-labeled clearo, for when I know I want to chain-vape but don't want the nicotine quease to come on. I'm lucky enough to have a store nearby that stocks tons of juices, and I'm looking forward to trying different ones as the mood suits me. Not anywhere close to trying more dessert-y flavours though, my analog-addled mouth still wants those harsher top notes. But eventually!

vdaedalus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
37 year quitter here and loving every minute of not being stinky ! Congrats to you and your recent order. You should like the new protank. We will see you again next week when you want to know why it tastes a bit burnt..:D ( hope you ordered extra heads) and we will tell you 6 ways how to clean it......

Thats not a bad thing, its just all part of your long journey........ Welcome

Thanks. Wow, I was trying to consolidate my replies and just in the time I got to the ones that existed, more have popped up. Proving my point about how supportive you gents/ladies are.

Really looking forward to the Protank, and yep, I did order extra heads, 1.8s and 2...2.4s? I can't even remember. Looking forward to playing, I haven't even got as far as variable voltages yet, but I know it's coming.

And I'm even looking forward to seeing six ways to cleaning it, I'm a tinkerer, which is another reason I feel good about this versus other options. I like an upgrade path, and I like making things work better.

Same here, if Joe Camel made it, I had smoked it, from the non-filtered all the way to the Blues. Vaping a Desert Camal at the moment, that if fact "presses a lot of the right buttons and I don't miss the Camels!"
2 PAD smoker for 40+ years and I did not think it would work......but it DOES....
Nothing anyone in the ECF neighborhood posts is "boring"....... and you are correct, someone else may be looking for a silver lining and reading your post, see that it is possible....

My analog path mirrors yours, but I started out strong (youth!) and gradually tapered down to the Lights, thinking they were 'better' for me. I'm feeling really good about this one though. I'm not ruling out that I'll hit a hump (ha, Camels) at some point and jones a bit, but in the past, whether it was patches, gum, pills, or cold turkey, there was always this itch I couldn't scratch, chewing on straws and what have you. Nothing yet, really loving the vape.

vdaedalus, you might just want to get one low nic juice for "just in case". Sometimes stressors can make you think you need a smoke, when all you need is a bit of nic to chill you out. Cover your......if you know what I mean!

And to all of you new vapers, if you don't have a B & M nearby, order samples from vendors! http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/439892-suppliers-sampler-juice.html

Oh definitely, I'm keeping the nic around for some time, my quit plan is pretty long term. I really think what I'll do, while I'm still liking the tobacco flavours, is pick up the 0mg Desert Ship and at first, alternate (0mg when I'm 'nicced out'), but eventually mix down. 2/3 11mg, 1/3 0mg, and then 50/50, and so on.

And absolutely, I'm not advocating B&M above all else. I am supporting my B&M and if they have it, I'll buy it there, however there are so many options online and I've already got stuff coming in from online vendors that I can't get locally. And even with all this initial expenditure, I'm keeping track and if I can stick with this for another twelve days, I'm ahead. And I've bought and ordered quite a bit of gear! After that it's all icing on the cake.

I'm also new to vaping (53 days strong!) after 28 years as a PAD smoker. I bought some DeKang "Marlboro" juice when I first started and it was horrible! I tried leaving the cap off of the bottle for a week (letting it steep) and that didn't help. I went back to it after a month and it was much better. Maybe worth a try? Anyway, good luck to you

JWLuke

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Wichita, Kansas
Welcome aboard Vdaedalus and congratulations. You are like so many of us when we first started, I wanted to shout it from the roof tops. You seem to have a head start on most beginners. You know what you want and need to make this successful. I live on this forum. I wish I had people I could share vaping with but no one close to me smokes or vapes. I do have a few co-workers that we share information with but it's not the same as sitting down with a cold one and telling vaping war stories with. My biggest fear when I started was drinking beer. I was afraid that it was not going to be enough satisfaction. So I bought some 18 nic just in case. I normally use 12 or 6. I did need the 18 when I first started vaping and drinking but now I do fine with the 6. I have only been at this for 3 months. It has changed my life and it will change yours. Good luck.

Saltraker

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2013
Hannibal, Missouri
I was a pack and a half a day smoker for years. Two weeks after I started vaping, my cig intake was reduced to zero and I'm not looking back. Vaping, literally, has changed my life. And it can happen to others, as well. Congrats on taking the steps to rid yourself of the stinkies and good luck in your journey. Vape on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread