• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Athletics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyndale

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
Wisconsin
Despite having been a 15 year smoker, I've managed to stay in relatively good shape. I enjoy many physical activities such as biking, paintball and walking/running. I'm going to be getting a gym membership soon. I miss lifting weights.

A few months ago I decided that 2010 was the year to do something big. Marathons aren't my thing, since I've never been great at running. I'm too slow for sprinting, and I just can't wrap my head around running over 20 miles when it would be so much easier and more fun to bike it. So I decided I'd enter the local triathlon next year. Three miles of running ain't so bad when combined with some biking and swimming.

Why do this? Boredom. Something to work towards. Ain't got anything better to do. I really don't have some huge, profound reason other than "Why not?"

I know I'm not the only active former smoker. Many of the cyclists I knew back home in Minnesota were regular smokers. What physical activities do you all participate in?

harmony gardens

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
Wisconsin
HI Lyndale.

I like hiking nature trails. I enjoy getting out in the woods looking at the different flowers, birds and animals. I pretend I'm actually part of the natural cycle while I'm doing it,,, makes me feel closer to my spirit. I don't have to push myself or compete, but dang, climbing a hill can get your heart pumping. Wisconsin is so beatiful in the fall!! I love our State Parks in Wisconsin!! Devil's Lake is a fav.

I also like to shoot hoops at the playground once in a while.

Last edited:

Lyndale

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
Wisconsin

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
Either that or she's in a management position. :p

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
ROTF!

I've been in management, didn't do too good a job of it because I ended up taking too many things head on.... they didn't like it! And, when you tell the owner of the company that HIS way don't work anymore....well, ya tend to piss him off......

so now I'm much happier just being a peon in a cube, shuffling paperwork. The money's not as good, but the stress levels are a LOT less.

Lyndale

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
Wisconsin
HI Lyndale.

I like hiking nature trails. I enjoy getting out in the woods looking at the different flowers, birds and animals. I pretend I'm actually part of the natural cycle while I'm doing it,,, makes me feel closer to my spirit. I don't have to push myself or compete, but dang, climbing a hill can get your heart pumping. Wisconsin is so beatiful in the fall!! I love our State Parks in Wisconsin!! Devil's Lake is a fav.

I also like to shoot hoops at the playground once in a while.

I'll be camping up at High Cliff sometime near the end of this month. It's an annual tradition now.

I power walk anywhere from 35-50 miles a week carrying dumbbells. At 60 that's enough lol.

While I don't power walk, I was for a time doing 15-20 miles a day this summer. Before that I was doing at least 5 miles of walking a day. Unemployment coupled with boredom coupled with a love to listen to my MP3 player only while I walk or ride bike managed to keep my feet blistered, and even managed to cause some kind of calf strain on a 20 mile day. Ever since I started working again I haven't been able to find much time for the nice, long walks.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
ROTF!

I've been in management, didn't do too good a job of it because I ended up taking too many things head on.... they didn't like it! And, when you tell the owner of the company that HIS way don't work anymore....well, ya tend to piss him off......

so now I'm much happier just being a peon in a cube, shuffling paperwork. The money's not as good, but the stress levels are a LOT less.

I did management too. I had musical bosses though (it's like musical chairs, except the big surprise is which personality/mood disorder the new boss will have.) Survived 3 certifiable bosses, including one who would start a meeting saying things needed to be done one way and then contradict himself, and end with a whole different method for doing things with no clear reasoning why he changed his mind seemingly 3 times in a single half hour meeting. Half the time my assistant and I would walk out of the meeting and he'd ask "So... what the **** does he want us to do?" I'd reply truthfully: "Damned if I know. What we've been doing has been working for years, we'll just keep doing that." I only left because I moved out here, though. Strangely enough, while the crazy boss thing was frustrating at times, it was nice having part of my job be insulating the company from poor decisions made by those above me.

I'm happier being a peon now. At least they understand the concept of communication where I'm at. And so far everyone seems sane. Zany, but perfectly sane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread