• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Atomizer cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tin Cup

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
NE Ohio
Hi, everyone -

Rejoice and I have been sending PMs about cleaning atomizers, and I thought someone else might be interested in this. Rather than reply with a PM, I'll post this here.

Rejoice - As you probably know, I did a LOT of experimenting with cleaning atomizers. If you look around the forum, you'll find all kinds of "miracle cures" - pepsi, lemon juice, denatured alchohol, boiling water, etc. etc. etc.

All of these cures work, and all of them don't. Here's why...

Atomizers tend to get e-liquid in the wrong places, which makes them not work right. This is especially true for people who use cartridges. With all that liquid in the cartridge, it ends up getting into the wrong parts of the atomizer. For example, if you put it in your pocket with the cartridge end up, gravity will cause the liquid to drain down into the wrong parts of the atomizer, and maybe even into the battery. (This is why so many people drip smoke - including me.)

When the atomizer "gets flooded", it doesn't work very well. You get very little vapor, and lots of bad taste. One of the best ways to get rid of the excess liquid is to just blow on the battery end of the atomizer. (Have a paper towel handy, the liquid will drip out). Then, set the atomizer on a paper towel, with the battery end up. Let it sit for at least a half hour so the liquid can finish draining out. This should take care of the problem. DO NOT add more liquid to prime it, there will still be enough in it.

To get rid of bad tasting liquid, rinse it out several times in water. I just hold my atomizers under hot water in the kitchen sink - not hot enough to burn my hand, but pretty warm. Hold them battery end down, let them fill up and drain a few times, blow on the cartridge end to blow out the water, then rinse them again. Do this as many times as you need to get rid of the smell of the e-liquid.

If there's still any smell left after several rinses, let it soak in lemon juice and water for a while (half hour or so). Then rinse again and blow out the water a few times.

Once you've gotten an atomizer wet, the next step is to get rid of the water. Make sure you blow it out good, then let it sit someplace warm. Outside in the sun is good, for at least a few hours. Anyplace where it can dry out real good (you can use a hair dryer if you're in a hurry). Overnight is best, standing with the battery end up.

Remember that if you rinse out your atomizers, they will need to be primed before you can use them. Usually about 6 or 8 drops is good.

This is really all you need to do to clean your atomizers. A nice bath in hot water, then a good dry. That's it. Maybe a lemon water bath if it really stinks, but nothing else.

Now, for atomizers that have a lot of mileage on them...

All of us have burned food at one time or another. When we do, it leaves a black "gunk" on the pan. The same thing happens in an atomizer.

Inside the atomizer, there is a heating coil. When we vape, the liquid passes across this heating coil to make the vapor. Unfortunately, some of it gets left behind on the coil. This builds up into a black "gunk", just like the stuff in your frying pan.

The only way to get rid of this "gunk" is to burn it off. Some people use batteries, and some use a power supply. There is a real trick to this, because if you don't use enough power, you don't burn off the gunk. If you use too much power, you kill the atomizer. (I used a power supply to clean all of your atomizers).

I don't think you want to get into this part of cleaning. If you just rinse out your atomizers on a regular basis, they should last pretty well. I rinse mine at least once a week. This keeps them in pretty good shape.

I hope I covered everything. If you have any questions, just ask. I'm really happy that the ones you sent me are working good.

Larry

Last edited:

Tin Cup

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
NE Ohio
I would like to thank you on the forum Tin Cup. He took some of my atomizers that didn't vape and now they work. I was going to throw them out. I also have learned a great deal about cleaning my atomizers and getting rid of bad taste from bad tasting liquids. You are the best Tin Cup and glad to have you on the forum.

Aw, shucks... you're making me blush.:oops:

Actually, this worked out great for both of us. I'm an experimenter by nature, but didn't have any more atomizers to work with. You provided them, and now I know that my method works.

Thanks, and let me know if you have any other questions.

TC

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
Tin Cup.........Not to undermine your method of cleaning an atomizer,SunVaporer has used a cleaner that is used for cleaning pop-corn kettles like those in movie theaters and had great success...I will see if I can get him to post the link here for the group..This is supposedly the best method he has found yet..and he has tried them all!:)The Wiz!

Tin Cup

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
NE Ohio
Tin Cup.........Not to undermine your method of cleaning an atomizer,SunVaporer has used a cleaner that is used for cleaning pop-corn kettles like those in movie theaters and had great success...I will see if I can get him to post the link here for the group..This is supposedly the best method he has found yet..and he has tried them all!:)The Wiz!

Hi, Wiz - You're not undermining anything, we're all in the same boat here - trying to make these things work better.

Yes, the cleaner you mentioned seems to work better than anything else, and I tried them all. I just wasn't sure about mentioning chemicals on this forum.

For anyone who uses any chemical, PLEASE rinse, rinse, rinse. Be very careful when you use them, and store them where kids can't get into them (as SunVaporer would say :rolleyes:).

I use a power supply to burn off the "gunk", using basically the same method ExoGenesis uses, and it works great. No chemicals to worry about, no paint peeling off, no danger, and no cost. That's hard to beat.

A great post with terrific pictures and a video on this method is http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/experiments-equipment/10153-atomizer-cleaned-simple-cheap-effective-method.html

If you go there, be sure to click on the pictures to enlarge them. They show the heating coil and the "gunk" in detail, and how to get rid of it by burning it off.

TC

Last edited:

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
Hi, Wiz - You're not undermining anything, we're all in the same boat here - trying to make these things work better.

Yes, the cleaner you mentioned seems to work better than anything else, and I tried them all. I just wasn't sure about mentioning chemicals on this forum.

For anyone who uses any chemical, PLEASE rinse, rinse, rinse. Be very careful when you use them, and store them where kids can't get into them (as SunVaporer would say :rolleyes:).

I use a power supply to burn off the "gunk", using basically the same method ExoGenesis uses, and it works great. No chemicals to worry about, no paint peeling off, no danger, and no cost. That's hard to beat.

A great post with terrific pictures and a video on this method is http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...er-cleaned-simple-cheap-effective-method.html

If you go there, be sure to click on the pictures to enlarge them. They show the heating coil and the "gunk" in detail, and how to get rid of it by burning it off.

TC
Tin Cup.....That is the very reason I would rather have Sun post on the Popcorn cleaner,we do need be be careful with the various chemicals we use for cleaning.My impression was that this was a food grade compatable cleaner and safe to use,i'm sure a wash-and rinse would still be required after usage..I hope to hear more from the other expert in this field.:)The Wiz!

Tin Cup

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
NE Ohio
Seems like we're in complete agreement here, Wiz. In my initial post, I wasn't trying to cover everything because it would have been 20 pages long. I was mainly talking about getting flooded atomizers working better, how to get rid of bad flavors, and then tried to sum things up in a reasonably short page.

As you know, SunVaporer is as knowlegable as anyone when it comes to cleaning the coil using chemicals. He puts safety first, but is also very thorough and fair in his judgements.

I prefer the 'burning off' method that Exogenesis uses, but any method that works safely is worth seeing.

TC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread