Not open for further replies.

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
I have to say this is a big improvement over previous attempts.

First, no burnt taste even have 20 draws!! Hooray!

The flavor is certainly improved. I would say that it is better than I am currently getting on my VTR but I would not say that it is great, but an improvement nonetheless.

Vapor production is pretty good as well. Again, better than I am getting on my VTR. But flavor is more important to me than vapor production.

For this tank I used some gorge vapor butterscotch (Hammered) that I still had. I'm thinking there may be something to the comments that it may be my juice causing some of the flavor issues. This weekend I am going to rebuild my first KFL with the cotton and try the MBV juice again to see what the results are.

I am also going to try drilling out the mouthpiece this weekend to see if it helps flavor. What size drill bit do you recommend?

Do you think if I get the coil down to 1.2ohm that the flavor will improve?

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
Again I want to say thanks to everyone who provided suggestions, support, and encouragement. It appears I might be over the hump and on my way to becoming a real coil builder.

Ultimately it seems that my juice and the wicking material may be the keys to getting this right. I only hope I can get the cotton to last 5 days. I am going to keep fiddling with this and will continue to post pics and update this thread.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Again I want to say thanks to everyone who provided suggestions, support, and encouragement. It appears I might be over the hump and on my way to becoming a real coil builder.

Ultimately it seems that my juice and the wicking material may be the keys to getting this right. I only hope I can get the cotton to last 5 days. I am going to keep fiddling with this and will continue to post pics and update this thread.

So glad you got this working. Now it's all a matter of tweaking to get it right where you want it. When you have time, play with the resistance, amount of cotton wick, etc. As for making the cotton wick last, if it starts tasting airy and off from the usual flavor, give it a primer pull to get the juice flowing.

iowajosh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
iowa
I decided to try the cotton balls after umpteen post from people who recommend them. I have my doubts but I will try them. If I can get them to last all week so I only have to re-wick on the weekends, then I'll stick with them.

Here it is wicked for the first time:

Try a little smaller coil next time and a little higher from the deck. From the picture I'd guess quite a bit less cotton like 1/3 less. Too much cotton will work for a while but will not work well for long. Too much cotton also helps it gurgle. Just keep going. Some things don't come easy.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
1.4ohm is a good place to try.
On the next wick - Reduce cotton a bit - Better wicking, not hotter coil will improve Flavor. Flavor=vapor volume(available e-liquid to vaporize)
Flavor can increase simply by taking a longer draw on a good system.
Coil looks great, wick is acceptable, KayFun looks MUCH better than the first one.<Dremmel tool and grinding bit may be in order>

Sooo....so glad you are having some success. things will continue to get better as you learn the ins/outs

I am also going to try drilling out the mouthpiece this weekend to see if it helps flavor. What size drill bit do you recommend?
find one just smaller than the bore FROM the BOTTOM - use small increasingly to that one from the top to drill out - SLOWLY with little to no pressure - Stainless is Very Hard and can break a bit easily.
A little cooking oil on the bits will help to shed heat while drilling.

Congrats!!!

* Note - Measure use By Tank Fills, not Days. Looking at the bottle in your pic - Medium color, I would say 3-5 tanks(estimating)
Darker liquids fowl sooner and Clears take much longer.
Mine - light, not clear = 10+ tanks

Once you know your use and wick ability it is simple to plan ahead.:)

Last edited:

Jonathan Rizo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2013
Riverside, California, United States
If I eventually get both KFL's up and running well, then the cotton only has to last 3 days and then I can just switch tanks mid week and re-wick both on the weekend.

If you get that going well I'd recommend not filling the second tank until you're about to use it. My builds usually last through the week at least unless I just feel like tinkering, which usually happens a day or two into the build haha. Glad you got one working man, I've read your threads everyday at work and was pullin for ya man, we all know how frustrating it can be to get into rebuilding your own things. Be ready for your next endeavor, DIY juice!

Congrats again man... vape on! :vapor:

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
If you get that going well I'd recommend not filling the second tank until you're about to use it. My builds usually last through the week at least unless I just feel like tinkering, which usually happens a day or two into the build haha. Glad you got one working man, I've read your threads everyday at work and was pullin for ya man, we all know how frustrating it can be to get into rebuilding your own things. Be ready for your next endeavor, DIY juice!

Congrats again man... vape on! :vapor:

LOL. Thanks. I've done DIY juice for 3+ years. It was a snap compared to this.

cliffy15

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Honolulu, HI
Congratulations on getting a working build!

OMG, I'm so glad I didn't find this thread until today. I just got caught up on things and I would have been all stressed out waiting for updates! So I thought that maybe I'd contribute what I can.

I'm no expert, but I do know how painful getting into rebuilding can be. Just finding the perfect (for you) setup on a new device can be daunting all by itself, I can't imagine how hard it is trying to learn on a KFL with all the factors thrown in at you at once! (coil builds, wick, bottom fed wicking, and tanks)

Hopefully some of this helps for workability of future builds. All of these steps really require the previous steps to be complete. In this way you can pinpoint the problems pretty quickly. I consider rebuilding to be all about certain steps and are generally applied to any device you are rebuilding especially for the first few tries.

1. Coil building.
2. Wick choices.
3. Wicking.
4. Flavor.

1. Building the microcoil. It seems that you've already figured it out so I won't go into much detail here aside to say that my recommendation would be to stay in the 1.5 - 2 Ohm range, at first, to rule out the possibility that you're just using too much power on your juice.

2. Wick. So many choices, so many opinions. If you're building a microcoil, though, one of the best and most easily available options is cotton. Cotton balls or cotton yarn?

Cotton balls in my experience, when setup correctly in comparable builds, provides a bit more vapor and definitely a far more saturated flavor profile. Cotton yarn (Peaches N Cream from Walmart is what I, and many others here, use) I use only in a couple of specific builds when I need the wick to hold its shape (i.e. - GP Spheroid and Heron). It's much easier to get consistent wick sizes with cotton yarn, the performance of cotton balls/fluff work much better.

Note: Remember to boil your cotton yarn, and let dry, before use!

Once your coil is wicked, make sure to test fire the build once you have saturated the wick with liquid of your choice. Smell the vapor. It should smell like you imagine the liquid to taste. If it smells burnt or if you notice immediate discoloration of your wick, coil, or liquid, you should stop, here, and reevaluate your previous coil/wick setup. Essentially, this mimics what you are doing when you are direct dripping. If it doesn't work well, at this step, it won't get any better when you add complexity to it by wicking from a reservoir, with airflow adjustments, etc.

3. Wicking/Vapour production - Make sure your build wicks in your device. Forget juice flavor for now. Make sure your device provides consistent wicking and vapour. If you get burnt hits you aren't wicking enough. If you get a few good hits and then get dry hits you aren't wicking fast enough to keep up with your coil. Either you aren't getting proper liquid delivery, your wicks are choked, or your wicking medium/setup needs to be adjusted for your device. This is where you just fiddle with your device as you already know your coil/wick works. Make sure that the liquid/vapor can keep up with the way you vape - Whether you chain vape, mouth/lung hit, take shallow/deep pulls as you want to adjust at this step.

4. Flavor - This is the most satisfying part but also the trickiest. You may want to adjust your build, wicking medium/amount/size, device (AFCs, etc), or even juice at this step. The good thing is that you got all the basics already covered!

Here's some extra tips that I've basically bumbled into and hope that it helps you out.

- Having TOO MUCH liquid can actually smother the taste of your vape. Getting good vapor production with no taste is indicative of this unless you've had too many dry hits or have vaper's tongue. For this I usually adjust the density of my cotton wick or fiddle with the flow of my device (if its in some sort of tank).

- Better airflow will help with vapor production but may also "dilute" the taste of your vape. Conversely, less airflow (a tighter draw) sometimes helps me get more flavor out of my builds. AFCs are pretty awesome.

- If you take big hits, you may get dry hits once in awhile while your wick/juice catches up with you. You can either choose to give it some time (and tips/swirls) to catch up, or adjust the wicking speed with length/density of your wicks or fiddling with your devices tank if available.

Hope it helps and you keep off the analogs!

mykereid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
Alexandria, VA
Congratulations Elendil. Like everyone else, I was pulling for you. I'm getting ready to go down the same road. I have an original KFL+ and the Black Edition KLF in transit, and your experience has been a great tutorial preparing me for my own attempts to get it right. With all the great tips and suggestions you've gotten, this thread should be a sticky. :)

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
Congratulations on getting a working build!

OMG, I'm so glad I didn't find this thread until today. I just got caught up on things and I would have been all stressed out waiting for updates! So I thought that maybe I'd contribute what I can.

I'm no expert, but I do know how painful getting into rebuilding can be. Just finding the perfect (for you) setup on a new device can be daunting all by itself, I can't imagine how hard it is trying to learn on a KFL with all the factors thrown in at you at once! (coil builds, wick, bottom fed wicking, and tanks)

Hopefully some of this helps for workability of future builds. All of these steps really require the previous steps to be complete. In this way you can pinpoint the problems pretty quickly. I consider rebuilding to be all about certain steps and are generally applied to any device you are rebuilding especially for the first few tries.

1. Coil building.
2. Wick choices.
3. Wicking.
4. Flavor.

1. Building the microcoil. It seems that you've already figured it out so I won't go into much detail here aside to say that my recommendation would be to stay in the 1.5 - 2 Ohm range, at first, to rule out the possibility that you're just using too much power on your juice.

2. Wick. So many choices, so many opinions. If you're building a microcoil, though, one of the best and most easily available options is cotton. Cotton balls or cotton yarn?

Cotton balls in my experience, when setup correctly in comparable builds, provides a bit more vapor and definitely a far more saturated flavor profile. Cotton yarn (Peaches N Cream from Walmart is what I, and many others here, use) I use only in a couple of specific builds when I need the wick to hold its shape (i.e. - GP Spheroid and Heron). It's much easier to get consistent wick sizes with cotton yarn, the performance of cotton balls/fluff work much better.

Note: Remember to boil your cotton yarn, and let dry, before use!

Once your coil is wicked, make sure to test fire the build once you have saturated the wick with liquid of your choice. Smell the vapor. It should smell like you imagine the liquid to taste. If it smells burnt or if you notice immediate discoloration of your wick, coil, or liquid, you should stop, here, and reevaluate your previous coil/wick setup. Essentially, this mimics what you are doing when you are direct dripping. If it doesn't work well, at this step, it won't get any better when you add complexity to it by wicking from a reservoir, with airflow adjustments, etc.

3. Wicking/Vapour production - Make sure your build wicks in your device. Forget juice flavor for now. Make sure your device provides consistent wicking and vapour. If you get burnt hits you aren't wicking enough. If you get a few good hits and then get dry hits you aren't wicking fast enough to keep up with your coil. Either you aren't getting proper liquid delivery, your wicks are choked, or your wicking medium/setup needs to be adjusted for your device. This is where you just fiddle with your device as you already know your coil/wick works. Make sure that the liquid/vapor can keep up with the way you vape - Whether you chain vape, mouth/lung hit, take shallow/deep pulls as you want to adjust at this step.

4. Flavor - This is the most satisfying part but also the trickiest. You may want to adjust your build, wicking medium/amount/size, device (AFCs, etc), or even juice at this step. The good thing is that you got all the basics already covered!

Here's some extra tips that I've basically bumbled into and hope that it helps you out.

- Having TOO MUCH liquid can actually smother the taste of your vape. Getting good vapor production with no taste is indicative of this unless you've had too many dry hits or have vaper's tongue. For this I usually adjust the density of my cotton wick or fiddle with the flow of my device (if its in some sort of tank).

- Better airflow will help with vapor production but may also "dilute" the taste of your vape. Conversely, less airflow (a tighter draw) sometimes helps me get more flavor out of my builds. AFCs are pretty awesome.

- If you take big hits, you may get dry hits once in awhile while your wick/juice catches up with you. You can either choose to give it some time (and tips/swirls) to catch up, or adjust the wicking speed with length/density of your wicks or fiddling with your devices tank if available.

Hope it helps and you keep off the analogs!

Great information in this post. Thanks

scrappy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Seattle

My juice channels looked just like yours. I took a 1/16 drill bit to it for about 15 seconds each, and that solved all of my wicking problems. Flavor increased tremendously too. It went from being a dry vape to being very moist. If you're scared to open up the channels then at least take the drill bit to it for a few seconds just to clean it up some. If you notice an improvement then open them up a little more.

Btw, I've used mbv juice for a long time without any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread