Attomizers burning out quickly??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvr

Dec 24, 2011
Canada
I've made the switch to e-cigs less than a month ago. So far I've burned through 3 atomizers. 2 low resistance attys, and one regular atty, so roughly 1 a week. Why aren't my atomizers lasting longer? The regular atty had hardly got much use at all before it burnt.

Could it be my technique? Getting them too hot or something? I've tried to keep them clean, using vinegar and baking soda.

The last 2 both burnt out within hours of each other.... so now have have nothing left. Seems a little ridiculous to be going through them at this pace....

If it has any bearing, im using a joyetech ego-t.

Any help appreciated.

sweetmeat

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
Canada
I've been using the same atty for about 4-5 months! I blow out all the excess juice at the end of the day, and have done one dry burn/run under hot water when I thought it was going to die and it's still going strong. I have about 3 more lying around but for some reason they don't seem to produce as much vapor as this one. My guess is that some of them are just duds and there's not much you can do.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I just went through 10 attys in a very short time. Average life was about three days, using them on joye ego batteries and a 3.7v e-power. They were all around 2 ohms, I'm not sure what brand but I ordered them because they were cheap at about 3 bucks apiece. Hugh mistake lol.

I just ordered the 10 pac of Joye attys from vaporkings. I've had good luck with joye attys in the past, so hopefully these will hold up much better.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
It could be your technique. Attys dont like being over heated for too long. How long are you holdng the switch on for when vaping? Make sure you give them time to cool down every few vapes.

Are you sure they are dead? Do you have a multimeter to check if they are dead or not? If you're not able to check them on a multimeter then try pulling out the pin in the connection area a bit. Sometimes that pin gets pushed down too far and the atty isnt connecting with the battery.

Its true that all attys aren't created equal. Some seem to last forever and others die relatively quickly. I've only lost 11 attys in 16 months of vaping. I only clean mine when they really arent working well and sometimes that revives them and other times it's really is of no help.

Last edited:

KeysBum

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Florida Keys, USA
The symbol on the multi-meter for ohms looks like a horse shoe. Place one lead on the center post and the other on the thread. You get a more accurate reading if you touch the leads together before you test the carto/atty.

Use a tiny jewelers screwdriver to adjust the post.
I have a multi-meter... how do I go about testing? And how would I pull the nib out that contacts the battery? Just grab it with pliers and it'll slide out a bit?

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My guess is also the center post is being driven back into the atty by too much force as you screw them down onto the battery. All it takes is just a fraction of a turn past the stopping point to make contact.

I use a jumbo paper clip with one leg straightened out and the tip bent at a 1/8" long right angle at the tip. You can insert the paper clip, grab the edge with the hook and pull on one side and then the other. The center post is suspended in a nylon sleeve to insulate it from the outer ring.

If this works on one, you will probably fix most or all of the others. Excessive force eventually pushes the atty center contact into the atty and it no longer contacts the center conductor of the battery when you install it.

lemonshrew

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2011
A, A
I had a few problems with atty's burning out.

The culprits turned out to be 1. Gunk, and 2. Baking soda.

If you don't get the baking soda completely cleaned out it will burn.

But the main problem was gunk. After an atty started tasting funny, I would set it aside to be cleaned. But, I just left it sitting there, dry. Turned out that the juice (dark ones anyway) can "solidify" onto the bridge. Someone suggested storing them in alcohol until they could be cleaned.

Worked perfectly! I get months of use out of them now.

I use a 3.7 mod with LR Joye atty's from CoV, so you might have a different problem.

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
I soak mine in Vodka. It's consumable so I don't have to worry about a chemical not making its way off, and it cleans them great. Make sure you blow them out to get the majority of juice out first, then soak them for 30 minutes. Blow them out again and then let them dry overnight.

You might be running them dry without even knowing it. Make sure you prime them good and don't wait until you get a burning taste to add more juice. You could have also gotten a bad batch of atomizers but they do vary a lot on life span. I always had a problem using carts because if they stopped wicking I would get dry hits so I switched to dripping and never looked back.

mvr

Dec 24, 2011
Canada
Thanks for the reply's...

No luck with the nib adjustment.... I'll test with the multi-meter tomorrow to confirm, but looks as like they're all dead.

Wish I could detect that burnt flavour... I rarely notice any flavour from any liquid... every once and a while I get a faint taste of something good...but it's really rare.....

Last edited:

silkakc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2010
Canandaigua, NY
I soak mine in Vodka. It's consumable so I don't have to worry about a chemical not making its way off, and it cleans them great. Make sure you blow them out to get the majority of juice out first, then soak them for 30 minutes. Blow them out again and then let them dry overnight.

You might be running them dry without even knowing it. Make sure you prime them good and don't wait until you get a burning taste to add more juice. You could have also gotten a bad batch of atomizers but they do vary a lot on life span. I always had a problem using carts because if they stopped wicking I would get dry hits so I switched to dripping and never looked back.

Agree with this!

6 in one month is way too much! I stick with the Joye 510 attys from LibertyFlights and get 3-4 weeks on average per atty ( NOT the LR kinds because they burn out faster). They have a 1 month warranty too on their attys but I've never needed to use it in 15 months of vaping. If I get 3 strong weeks, I'm 100% happy:) They average out to $6 bucks a pop roughly.

Cigs cost $10 a PACK in New York! A $6 atty is a huge savings if it lasts one week or more :)

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
The most common reasons why an atty has burned out is that it has been vaped dry too often or hasn't received enough rest after a few draws. If your new to vaping then you might not know how to use an atomizer properly. To be more specific. It has to be primed in the beginning with 6 drops. Three drops should be added every 5 hits afterwards. In order to maintain optimal performance.

A few minutes rest should be followed with the 5 hits as well. If you were to surpass 5 hits or so then the coil will be overheating. Like what happens when you dry burn it. And if you add juice right when it's hot. Then you can also pop the coil. Which means that it should be given a few minutes rest before anything else is added.

Another possibility is that you could've gotten some duds or poor atomizers. Overall, there are a lot of variables to what keeps an atomizer working for a decent amount of time. You have to explore all aspects on how you use the atomizer in order to pinpoint the problem. Some have mentioned that your coil is gunked up. But then, it will still be working but the flavor will be either diminished or it tastes burnt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread