Not open for further replies.

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
Rust? What's in an atomizer that will rust?

In a 510 atomizer, nickel foam won't rust. Nichrome wire won't rust. Stainless steel (atomizer body) won't rust. Copper wires won't rust. The plastic and/or lacquer insulation on the copper wires won't rust. Solder won't rust. Plastic won't rust. Silicone rubber won't rust. The brass threaded fitting and center electrode won't rust.

What is the (hygroscopic) PG and/or VG that would be present in primer protecting? And how?

Well not necessarily rust.. but oxidization (which I guess could be rust) Yes in general if the atty stays dry it should be ok for long storage.. and new atties are not really an issue....

but with everyone with all of there cleaning methods ..it is just a good to "flood" the atty with PG/VG to "preserve it for long term".... now if you are cleaning and using.. that is a moo :)D) point....

and yes another reason for primer in new atomizers is to help with ...well priming,,, but in the past I know that wasn't a pleasant taste with out either blowing out or dripping with a strong flavored juice

I am speaking loosely.. and I know that cleaned atomizers that I haven't primed was less than par months down the road after setting for that time.

I can't find some of the old posts about it... but here is one "recent"

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...zers-long-term-storage-too-many-opinions.html

onething for sure as far as cleaning goes there isn't one method.. and many have worked/ not worked depending on the user...

christina7

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
New York
Crap. now I'm more confused. I got excited with the first post here, then kept reading. I go through atty's like nothin. and I"ve tried every way to clean them. except, to clean them every other day before they have a chance to get clogged. But now after reading everything here, I am paranoid of ruining a good one. So I guess my choices are, do nothing, soak in alcohal for 5 minutes and let dry for 24 hours, or rinse with warm water, or soak in vinigar, or just blow them out, or just dry burn but very quickly, or............
Crap. I will choose nothing.

somewhere in china, some lil china man is working diligently on a new and improved atty. I just know it.

c.

Krandle

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
Boston
I've been vaping for almost 3 months and still have my original atty and it works fine as a backup. I've killed one along the way, but that's it. I've moved one from my original 510 and now use 510Lr and 801Lr (that one is new today). I drip exclusively and I've been cleaning mine every two days or so using alcohol and air drying them for a couple of hours. I prime 'em and they vape fine for me. I think some have lost some punch, but I guess that can't be helped.

KayleePup

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
I wasn't concerned with cleaning any of my attys until one of my first 'died'. I tried the atty resurrection process, sorta worked, the atty came back but was no where near the production that it once had. I tried the rinse in pga, rinse with hot water, neither brought that atty back to useable. Recently used that isoproyl alcohol bath on it.....works like new!!! This was an atty I had used almost exclusively for a month and it worked great until it just stopped. I have bought other attys and have 10 or so around and would say that to clean them it would make more sense to just vape plain pg/vg through them. I would agree with the OP that attys probably are not meant to be left completely dry so I try to keep my in sealed bags with some pg in them. I know that when smoking my zippo lighter wicked much better if kept with liquid in it then if I let it dry out. I have noticed that in some attys you can see the ends of the wick and it turns brown after a week or so of vaping, after the alcohol bath it is mostly back to a white color. I don't 'clean' my attys on a regular basis, only if they stop producing.

As a side note: if you don't let the alcohol completely evaporate from your atty either through drying overnight or using compressed air or fan or hair dryer, you risk your health. Isopropyl alcohol is oxidized by the liver into acetone by alcohol dehydrogenase. Symptoms of isopropyl alcohol poisoning include flushing, headache, dizziness, CNS depression, nausea, vomiting, anesthesia, and coma. Use in well-ventilated areas and use protective gloves while using. Poisoning can occur from ingestion, inhalation, or absorption.

Just my 2 cents!
KayleePup

silkakc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2010
Canandaigua, NY
I agree ...Tried alcohol once ...paint chipped off one of my attys...maybe it wasn't the alcohol....but I use vinegar now.....Vinegar is great for a lot of household needs....:D

I'd like to use vinegar too. Do you use it full strength or dilute it with distilled water? I just saw a post about using those blue bulb baby nose things and I would love to just squirt some vinegar water through my attys each night and have them be ready for me each morning.

Lori

Carless

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Valdosta, GA
Well, I've only had my ego for about 2 weeks now and rotate between two atty's. While I'm using one, the other soaks in a glass jar with about 1/2" PGA.
I just shake it off, blow it out, put it on the battery, prime it with 2 or 3 drops, attach the cart and vape away.
No problems as of yet..... my method doesn't appear to be hurting them, but if anyone has a good reason to stop doing it, please speak up.

Also, no need to let these things dry out for 24 hours...that's what's killing them.. they are "designed" to work in a wet atmosphere, that's why they come shipped with lube in them, simply and gently rinse these atty's in warm water, gently blow out the excess water, screw it on a battery and vape away!!! Your e-juice is made with water in it...it's an ingredient of PG and VG...

The juice when you vape.... and the water left over water after rinsing it out, keeps the little coil from overheating...Again..It's designed to work in a wet enviroment..

They will only last so long....just like a light bulb...same design principle...

Im new to e-cigs (and to this forum) but, I did an experimet the other day.
The atty that came with my first e-cigarret was not working, I thougth It had died.
So I thougth, I didn't have anything to loose Is already dead. So I took out an old bottle of Bacardy 151 filled a shot glass and put my "dead" Atty in and left it there a couple of minutes, then I rinse with water.

I didn't have the patience to wait more than an hour for it to dry ( much less 24) so I rationalice. This things are made to work in a wet enviroment. So I driped some VG/H2O on the atty Inserted it on the cart, screw the batt and vaped away.
After 3 to 4 drags it was producing a cloud of vapor.

So, if you have the patience to let You attys dry for 24+ hours, do it, But If You are impatient, Don't Worry, just blow the excess water out, and You're good to go.

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
Here's an 'issue' with 510 atties that I've run across.... instead of going 'cold' (just dying).. a perfect performing (for three months or so Atty) suddenly starts 'burning'... out of nowhere the juice suddenly 'cooks & burns'.. I've cleaned them gently, blown them out, re-primed them with PG and the atty still tastes like a burnt behind.... (nasty!) I'm treating the atty the same as I did for the entire three months leading up to this 'issue'... blowing them out gently, keeping them moist, not vaping so hard that I'm cooking them between drags... etc. I've even Soaked them overnight in everclear.... whatever, it seems that once these 'burn' they're burnt for good. What is this phenomenon? I'm more familiar with Attys going 'cold' not 'cooking'... :lol: I'm having a hard time 'explaining' what I mean, but I guess my ultimate question is this; "What suddenly would make a perfect Atty (that's been performing superbly for months?) suddenly go into FRY mode?"... (lol)... and 'STAY' in that fry mode?"... :)

Hogie

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2010
Coventry, NY
I have been bad I guess. I use several attys at a time. Switching atty when I want a new flavor. I then clean them if I am not using the flavor for a while. After I clean them, I put them away when dry. Lately, I find that they are stubborn to get vaping again (my attys are less than 2 months old). I finally got one of them to work good again but I had to keep adding drops of juice then trying to vape again. Low vapor production and not very good taste. Today I just kept adding drops and finally the one I was using came back to life. I am dripping with it now. I do not use cartridges at all anymore. I do like cartomizers but find dripping pleasurable when I am sitting watching TV in the evening.:vapor:

I have a couple others that I have done the same thing with (3 in rotation now). They are sitting in my goodie box now dry. I imagine I will have the same trouble when I go to use them again. I have stopped using alcohol and have used just hot water to soak and then rinse (I have read that the alcohol deteriorates the atty). Maybe I will try the vinegar.

I had stopped using attys for a couple weeks and was using only cartomizers. My trouble started when I pulled one out of my box and tried to use it again. :?:

So, I guess I should get a bottle of PG to put on my attys after cleaning. Put a couple drops on them before putting away. Am I correct? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread