Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'm thinking of trying a lobotomized staggered fused alien clapton octo-mom vibranium core coil wicked with asbestos, but I'm all out of magic pixie dust and we all KNOW the flavor will just be muted if it isn't sprinkled with magic pixie dust.............

Oh well, just a plain old 3mm 26g 316l contact coil will have to do I guess. *sigh*

:pervy:

I found baking soda isn't bad if the pixie dust is late shipping.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
Out of interest, do other users find the atty accumulates a small puddle of juice between the top cap and the top plate of the tank? I'm guessing it comes from holding the atty at an angle to vape it, also seems to accumulate under the drip tip, just the nature of the top fill / closure design I guess. Doesn't seem to find its way into my mouth so I'm guessing it's fairly well contained, does require a wipe down between fills though. I use tanks so rarely now I actually forget whether the issue arises with others. Probably the only thing I don't really like about the tank, but likely unavoidable.

View attachment 766311

It's because if you look closely at the seal in the cap it only really seals along the rib on the outside edge leaving a small pocket around the center areas.

Mephisto6

Sep 18, 2018
Hi everyone, i just got the intake and it's my first RTA so i'm wondering if anyone could help me. The wicking was really easy and i think i got it right following the dam method, I'm using 26g kanthal A1, 5 warps @ 3mm. My mod reads 0.82 ohms and at 30w it works fine, no dry hits or spitting. The problem is that i get lots of vapor but it's really cold and there's no taste. 35w makes no difference and at 40w it starts to taste burned. What can i do with the 26g kanthal that will be warmer and more flavorful ? I also have 26g ss316L wire but i haven't tried it yet.

I'd appreciate any tips. Thanks!

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I would try a few things. First is rewicking it. It might seem to be wicking OK, but you can still try to play around with that. Second is change the height of the coil over the air holes. You might benefit from either a higher or lower position depending where you are now. Finally, what mod are you using this on?

Last edited:

Mephisto6

Sep 18, 2018
This is how i have it atm, should i raise it even more ? Also the coil is quite spaced otherwise 5 warps won't cover all the holes. The mod i'm using is the innokin proton. I expected to get much lower ohms and be able to run at least 50w, should i just get another wire gauge if i want to run hotter ?

Attachments

• coil.jpg
    coil.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Useful
Reactions: Letitia

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
This is how i have it atm, should i raise it even more ? Also the coil is quite spaced otherwise 5 warps won't cover all the holes. The mod i'm using is the innokin proton. I expected to get much lower ohms and be able to run at least 50w, should i just get another wire gauge if i want to run hotter ?
I don’t have that RTA so I’m not sure about coil height but if it’s spaced wide maybe try using more wraps to increase your surface area. Other than that a switch to Ss may help in that you can run it in tc which should stop any burning.
It would seems that your wicking could be the issue if it tastes burnt with a slight increase in power. Maybe it’s too tight inside the coil choking the juice. That’s all I got but I hope you get it figured out so you can get a good vape.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Your coil height is actually pretty good. There is no need to widely space the coil to cover all the holes. I'd bring them in more and increase to 6 wraps. That's just me. The goal is the air hitting all the coil, not the coil occupying all the airflow holes.

I wouldn't worry about resistance. On a regulated mod it's a moot point. Everything really revolves around the wattage selected as the load on the batteries, not your build.

I also wouldn't be building to allow the use of an arbitrary power setting like 50W. If you get a great vape at 20W or 120W it doesn't matter other than battery runtime.

Contact coils with Kanthal work well. Contact also can work well with SS although on some mods contact SS coils may not be terrific in temp control, but are still fine in power mode.

My bet is that changing to a contact or very closely spaced coil will improve your vape.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
...and my build is 26g SS 7-8 wrap, on 3mm, spaced
coil set close to the air hole...about 1mm from touching
I've found coils set close to the air hole give better flavor
YMMV
Now you have me wondering if single is better lower and multi better higher. Have a new intake, might try a low sitting single wire build just to see.

Mephisto6

Sep 18, 2018
Thanks for the tips everyone. I've tried 4,5,6 wraps and lowering the coil but i still don't get any flavour between 20 and 35 watts, anything higher than that will burn the cotton :( I'm wicking exactly like Vic and Mike do on their videos and everyone says it works great so i'm at a loss. I have the innokin scion 2 tank that came with the Proton and with the 0.15 prebuilt coil the exact same juice tastes pretty good around 60w but that tank leaks, that's why i got this one. I love the way it looks, i just don't understand what i could be doing wrong :oops:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Thanks for the tips everyone. I've tried 4,5,6 wraps and lowering the coil but i still don't get any flavour between 20 and 35 watts, anything higher than that will burn the cotton :( I'm wicking exactly like Vic and Mike do on their videos and everyone says it works great so i'm at a loss. I have the innokin scion 2 tank that came with the Proton and with the 0.15 prebuilt coil the exact same juice tastes pretty good around 60w but that tank leaks, that's why i got this one. I love the way it looks, i just don't understand what i could be doing wrong :oops:
Rtas are all about trial and error at first. Just change one thing at a time. When something makes it better keep that and tweak something else. What kind of wick are you using? Did you try a contact coil like Eskie mentioned?

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Try a build with more wraps. More wraps = more surface area = more flavor
    With single wire I try to have at least 7 wraps minimum.
    I've gone to SS for single coil builds for this reason.

Mephisto6

Sep 18, 2018
    Rtas are all about trial and error at first. Just change one thing at a time. When something makes it better keep that and tweak something else. What kind of wick are you using? Did you try a contact coil like Eskie mentioned?

Cotton bacon prime. I'll try contact coils and SS with more wraps tomorrow, thanks!

Mephisto6

Sep 18, 2018
    So update on my experience: I bought some prebuilt kanthal fused clapton 28ga x2 + 32ga coils and i'm finally getting some flavour :) Maybe i just suck at making coils, i only have one of those basic coil sticks and i find it kinda hard to roll them perfectly :facepalm: There's still one thing i can't figure out tho, these coils are labeled as 0.5 ohms but my innokin proton reads 0.95... the exact same thing happens with the coils i build, however, if i use the scion 2 tank the mod reads exactly what their coils say... Any guess what could be wrong ? Should i worry about it ? Being off by 0.4 seems like a huge difference :|

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    So update on my experience: I bought some prebuilt kanthal fused clapton 28ga x2 + 32ga coils and i'm finally getting some flavour :) Maybe i just suck at making coils, i only have one of those basic coil sticks and i find it kinda hard to roll them perfectly :facepalm: There's still one thing i can't figure out tho, these coils are labeled as 0.5 ohms but my innokin proton reads 0.95... the exact same thing happens with the coils i build, however, if i use the scion 2 tank the mod reads exactly what their coils say... Any guess what could be wrong ? Should i worry about it ? Being off by 0.4 seems like a huge difference :|
    Usually that means a lead isn't clipped close enough or the coil is making contact with the chimney. Sometimes when you clip the lead it drops into the deck and it's easy to miss it. Any time your resistance is close to doubled there is something touching the coil that shouldn't be.

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
    May 23, 2018
    Land of Smiles
    Hi everyone, i just got the intake and it's my first RTA so i'm wondering if anyone could help me. The wicking was really easy and i think i got it right following the dam method, I'm using 26g kanthal A1, 5 warps @ 3mm. My mod reads 0.82 ohms and at 30w it works fine, no dry hits or spitting. The problem is that i get lots of vapor but it's really cold and there's no taste. 35w makes no difference and at 40w it starts to taste burned. What can i do with the 26g kanthal that will be warmer and more flavorful ? I also have 26g ss316L wire but i haven't tried it yet.

I'd appreciate any tips. Thanks!

Not sure if you're still having no luck with the Intake on micro coils or whether it's sorted now. Wondering also, do you like a really hot vape? I ask because a 5 wrap 26 ga kanthal coil at 30w is right at the upper limit I would have thought for a comfortable vape. That's pushing a heat flux of around 330. But I know some folks like a really hot vape. The other thing to bear in mind is that the air flow on the Intake is fairly restrictive so there may just be too much heat hitting the coil without enough airflow for that temp and it's killing the flavour. At 40w it'll be pushing out 420 which is a LOT of heat coming off that coil in such a restrictive airflow chamber so I'm not surprised at all that it's burning your cotton. Surprised at 30w that the coil is giving off a cool vape though? 30w would have that coil well into the red heat / vape wise. If I was using a 5 wrap KA1 26 ga, personally I'd vape it at a max 20w but I don't like a hot vape. Not sure if you've tried that coil in the 16-24w range? Maybe cooler than 30 wouldn't kill the flavour if indeed that's what's happening.

For Kanthal 26 I'd use 7-8 wrap, spaced or contact. If spacing I only do it to reduce the risk of hot spots, not to stretch it out to cover the airflow. Large gaps between the wraps creates more problems IMO. Even a 7 wrap at 30w would be up there heat wise, over 28 would be pushing it to a hot vape. Personally I find NiCr 80, followed by SS, better than Kanthal, mainly for the ramp up times.

I mostly use a frame stapled NiCr 80 alien in mine, 0.26 ohm. I've tried a couple of claptons but wasn't to impressed. I also use NiCr 80 single wire builds, 22 or 24 ga 6-8 wrap 3mm ID and find they performs well. In the photo you posted though the coil would be too high for me. I have the top of the coil ever so slightly lower than the post head screws. Currently have a 7 wrap NiCr80 22 ga 3mm ID in at 0.3 ohm. Vapes really well at 36W.

Good luck.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread