Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
I use 26g 3mm contact coil 8 wraps for about .6 ohms.
I also place mine fairly close to the air inlet.
Also make sure your coil legs are actually under the screws. 26g tends to slide over beside the screws, and though it holds fairly tight, it isn't an ideal connection and can cause issues at higher power levels.

Play with the wicking. In the Intake, wicking can mute the flavor. It'll seem fine, but a slight change can make a difference.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Finally got mine in today. Going to have to play with it.
Started off with a 24 ga 0.5 ohm SS316L single coil. 3mm ID at 28 watts
2 drags and yuck. Adjusting up or down didn't help me.
Pulled that and inserted an alien Clapton NI80 (3mm ID, 0.4 ohm) that I use on my OBS Engine Nano's and Greek vape Zeus's. I'm using at 38 watts right now, where all my other setups are great at 45 watts for this same coil.

Yep, air flow is tight! I do not like the screws. Will have to see how it goes after I rewick it again tomorrow.

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
Pulled that and inserted an alien Clapton NI80 (3mm ID, 0.4 ohm) that I use on my OBS Engine Nano's and Greek Vape Zeus's. I'm using at 38 watts right now, where all my other setups are great at 45 watts for this same coil.

I was using a 3mm ID SS Alien Clapton coil in one of mine. I went to a 2.5mm and found it a bit better for some reason. 0.2 ohm @45 watts and it is giving me great flavor

eMado

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2017
Tehran
I got my first Intake (first because I'm gonna buy another :)), I love it's airflow.
Here is photo of Intake with 810 and 510 drip tip :
20180923_202810.jpg

Mephisto6

Sep 18, 2018
I use 26g 3mm contact coil 8 wraps for about .6 ohms.
I also place mine fairly close to the air inlet.
Also make sure your coil legs are actually under the screws. 26g tends to slide over beside the screws, and though it holds fairly tight, it isn't an ideal connection and can cause issues at higher power levels.

Play with the wicking. In the Intake, wicking can mute the flavor. It'll seem fine, but a slight change can make a difference.

Yea i've been playing with it and i'm getting better at wicking, i'm happy with the flavor but I still can't figure out why my ohms are much higher than the rating of the coils, i've tried it on another mod and it reads the same so it's not the mod, I'm 100% sure the coils are not touching anything inside the deck and the leads are trimmed at short as possible.. You are right, it is pretty hard to get these leads exactly under the screws but it doesn't seem to make any difference in my case :|

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Yea i've been playing with it and i'm getting better at wicking, i'm happy with the flavor but I still can't figure out why my ohms are much higher than the rating of the coils, i've tried it on another mod and it reads the same so it's not the mod, I'm 100% sure the coils are not touching anything inside the deck and the leads are trimmed at short as possible.. You are right, it is pretty hard to get these leads exactly under the screws but it doesn't seem to make any difference in my case :|
Try rinsing off the deck under the tap, you might have a tiny sliver of metal stuck in there somewhere. Did you check to make sure the screw didn't cut/sever the coil legs?

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
The way I wick mine is I cut my wick even with the outside edges of the tank. Then I fluff and fan out the ends of the wick. When looking at your wick end from the side, push the half up and then fold the bottom half under and into the wick hole, then trim the rest of the wick even with the threads of the chimney.
Kind of like how we wicked a lot of OLD RDTAs to prevent leaking when they tipped.
Did any of that make sense?

Last edited:

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK

Have you tried a different coil yet?

joeblowma

Jun 1, 2017
Canada
these coils are labeled as 0.5 ohms but my innokin proton reads 0.95
I still can't figure out why my ohms are much higher than the rating of the coils
Some coil makers sell coils in pairs for dual coil use and labelled as what they'd be if you used both coils in parallel. So if you were to take one of such a pair labelled as 0.5, it would be 1ohm or close to it but if you used both in parallel it would be 0.5ohm. You said you were using 28ga x2 + 32ga kanthal, how many wraps and what is the inner diameter? A coil with those specs and 3mm ID with 8 wraps thrown into Steam Engine comes out to just over 1ohm (so does 3.5mm and 7 wraps), so I think that is the case with your coils - they put the spec as if you were using a pair of them in parallel.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Getting ready to fill mine for the 3rd time today. Found a coil that I like in it finally, a .25ohms fused clapton with a .25 ID. I think the coil is a bit heavy for the Intake, but it's working right for me and the taste is great.

So, to me, the airflow overall is too restricted, I don't like the screws used in it, and while it looks great, I won't be ordering another. I'll still use it as an at home vape until it is destroyed, have plenty of glass for it so it should last a while.

Time to try the KAEES Solomon 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread