Automatic Vs manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

panhandleguy

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2012
fl panhandle
I did a (very) quick search and am sure this may have been discussed before, but I am looking for some help deciding between automatic and manual batteries.

I am considering trying the Volt x2 1300mAh batteries. I am not sure about the effectiveness of a manual battery.
Heck, I'm not even sure I should try the x2 after looking aroung here for a week.

My goal is to move off the cartomisers of the volt sytem (i spend too much time filling them) and to try a clearomiser or tank.
I am looking for sound reasonning to avoid excessive spending on my part.

Thanks to all for the education so far!

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
If you are trying to save money, you can get models that have mini-batteries for around $20 - $25 such as the mini-510. The regular auto battery volt will cost a good bit less than the x2. From what some of the new Volt users have been posting, the mini-battery Volt has fantastic battery life.

Last edited:

TommyG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
Aurora, CO
It's basically an eGo, nothing wrong with that, and the clearomizers you're looking at are quite popular so you're on the right track I'm sure. As for the manual vs auto, in my experience the manual is going to out live the auto almost every time. The auto batteries are prone to shorting out if they get juice in them, where most manual batteries are sealed (some auto batteries are sealed too I know). With the manual batteries you wont really need much of a primer puff to get it rolling, just press and have at it.

If you want to get something that's going to last a long time, and wont need out right replacing if the battery or switch dies out I would suggest checking out something with a non proprietary battery, and if money is an issue check out the bolt as it fits the bill and the buck lol. The problem with a unit like the volt x2 is that if the battery goes, and it will one day, you have to buy a completely new unit for 20+ dollars. With something that has changeable batteries you spend around 5 dollars for the same problem, and you don't have to have a spare unit to use while the other is charging, just a spare battery.

Really for the price of 2 of the x2s you could have an introductory mod with changeable batteries. Just my 2 cents.

TommyG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
Aurora, CO
I think the Bolt is a solid way to go for checking out mods, as is the Maxi Roughstack. Something like those two, the bolt is all around good as it doesn't limit you when you want to check out tanks and what not, my only beef being the 18500 battery (I'm a 18650 fan). The maxi roughstack is solid because it's made of metal and uses an 18650 (my personal preference really), but won't be that great when it comes time for you to check out tanks...which you probably will one day lol.

Those are my suggestions for getting into mods, the bolt over the roughstack, but I do own 2 roughstacks sooo lol.

Mroutlaw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Deerfield Beach, Florida
www.
I did a (very) quick search and am sure this may have been discussed before, but I am looking for some help deciding between automatic and manual batteries.

I am considering trying the Volt x2 1300mAh batteries. I am not sure about the effectiveness of a manual battery.
Heck, I'm not even sure I should try the x2 after looking aroung here for a week.

My goal is to move off the cartomisers of the volt sytem (i spend too much time filling them) and to try a clearomiser or tank.
I am looking for sound reasonning to avoid excessive spending on my part.

Thanks to all for the education so far!

Panhandle guy. I have the volt system, both long and short battery, a 900x2 and clearomizers. I have both manual and auto batteries. Everything with smokeless Image is interchangeable. You can use the cartomizers on the x2 batteries and the clearomizers on the standard batteries. I love that about it and I switch it up all the time. Here are my pros and cons

IMo you can get a little more vapor from the manual because you can press it for a quick second before inhaling. Downside is that if you are out and about like me (I own a landscape company) you need to press the button to inhale and that can be a pain. Sometimes I like to hang it in my mouth and inhale like an analog. Because you have to press the button, you can't quiet hold it like a normal cig. Also, with a manual, you don't have to worry if you overfill a carto or the clearomizer leaks because it is sealed.

As for the auto's, I like the convince of just inhaling like a regular cig. That's what helped me quit analogs from day 1. Downside is Sometimes you have have to take a longer puff or do a primer puff for a lot of hot vapor. Also, because I will leave it I'm mouth sometimes, tucked in corner, I am almost continually puffing which makes the battery go faster and you burn juice faster.

My x2 is a manual. I like that. Since it is much bigger, I am never going to hang it in my mouth anyway.

Also, the only thing that is not interchangeable is that you can not use a clearomizer on a standard volt battery that is manual. The clearomizer sleeve covers the button. You can use it on the automatic batteries.

On a side note, I know what you mean about refilling the cartos. I recently learned the taryn spin method for filling them. I don't know if you are aware of it, but basically you put the carto connection side down in a small holder with a string and then twirl it around a few times like a yoyo trick. It pushes the juice to the bottom and you can get a lot more in with no leaking. I have almost doubled how much juice I get in them and they last a lot longer now. There are a lot of YouTube videos on how to do it.
hope I helped
Happy vaping,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

morri

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2012
Texas
I would say try the manual. I have used automatic batteries up until I got mine (item mentioned in your post) and I decided to try the manual. It is my experience they last a LOT longer than the automatic ones do. I still use my small autos on occasion but love my X2manual and would suggest the same for you. I was worried that I might have trouble always pressing the little button, but honestly after 5 minutes it becomes second hand and I believe these type batteries are the best for beginners to even intermediate users.

Happy Vaping
Morri

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Manual is a simple system that you get used to quickly. Anything you can hang in your mouth will have a small battery that ties you to a charging source. Some autos, like the Halo G6, only give you a 5 second draw until cutoff. I'd find that very limiting. I usually puff two or three times and set my ecig down or slip it in a pocket. An auto would drive me nuts.

Then, there's the problem with seal leakage. An auto switch is based on a rubber diaphragm attached to a switch. When you puff, you create a vacuum that draws the diaphragm forward, activating the switch. It's a complicated system that can also lead to loud noises and vibrations that move air activating the switch in your pocket. I've read reviews from people who said their auto battery activated at rock concerts and they had to screw and unscrew the battery to take a hit from their ecig. If they didn't, it heated up in their pocket and killed the battery or popped the atomizer coil over time. That may be true or not, but I like primer puffing and long draw times.

Last edited:

BarTendor

Verified Member
Apr 29, 2012
Levittown! PA
I like both for different situations... I have 4 x2's in all 3 sizes 3 autos 1 Manuel... When I am out & about I use the auto 650 it's small looks great lasts forever... But when I am at home I use Manuel 1300 with a 6 ft ptt cord it's just always plugged in and allows me to charge the others... And the 6ft cord I bought for like $3 ... Allows me to vape while laying on the couch watching tv...zzzzzzz.... Uh... What was I saying.... I find I rarely use the 900 auto for some reason... So I have no opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread