Status
Not open for further replies.

AriM

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2011
San Diego
www.sweetspotvapors.com
The problem with most of the battery test are that they are based on a steady drain - like with a flashlight, while PV'ers do short high burst with time between the next burst so the dissipation of the energy would be different.

I heard that somewhere as well...

AriM

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2011
San Diego
www.sweetspotvapors.com
Yep, I heard that from you. I learned a lot from you and RocketMan in the other thread AriM and you peaked enough of my interest to expand on it with the power of Google...

I think another point to note, is that the atty shifts in resistance as it heats. Not by much, but enough to swing the draw on the battery plus or minus. Also the switches used in a lot of PV's aren't of the highest quality, and neither is the internal wiring. So once again we experience some shift in the load. It's hard to simulate this shift when doing the discharge tests, because most resistors are fixed within 5% tolerance (or better). The discharge curves really represent a sawtooth waveform (well close enough anyhow). Especially in electronics packages that use a switching regulator.

Food for though, when doing these tests.

Here is a close-up slice of a "pulsed" load test.....of course even this is a somewhat inaccurate graph, as the time between load and recovery is far longer than an average "hit" from a PV...

Last edited:

AriM

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2011
San Diego
www.sweetspotvapors.com
I would love to see a real simulation of this, but the variables are challenging. Take starting temperature of a PV sat on a desk vs one that has been in your pocket for an hour next to uncle Jon as an example

Agreed. Also the varying energy density of each and every cell. It shouldn't swing the tests by more than 10%, but I can only say that as an educated guess. Maybe the variation is greater than that even? I would need to graph a larger cross section of cells, from various lots/batches and ages. Also the data will change as a cell ages.

I run 4 charge discharge cycles on every cell I use for testing, before I begin any data collection.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
I think the hardest variable for you to plot would be vaping style from on PV'r to another. When I first started I kept two PV's charged at a time and vaped from both of them alternately. I did not like one flavor for more than a few vapes and did not like having to change the carts every few minutes so I vaped from two at a time. The two batteries lasted me about 12 - 14hours, but now I vape from a singular PV (1.5ml per fill and then change carts), but a singular battery charge only lasts about 5 hours without the alternating between the PV's. I lost 2+ hours on my charges, but it could also be I vape differently now - longer, more frequent, different juices, etc... - that would be near to impossible to graph and have consistent results. Next week it will be even harder once I get me new big batt PV in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread