B&M battery comment..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ismokeinbinary

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
Kentucky
So I was just at a local B&M trying to buy an 18650 and asked if they carried LG HG2s and was told "No, we only carry Sony VTC4s because they're safer." And to that I responded "How is a 20A VTC4 safer than a 20A HG2?" And I was told "The VTC4s are 30A after 2 seconds and 60A after 4 seconds and the HG2s are not, and we only carry the safest batteries for our unregulated customers."
Is there any truth behind this statement? To my knowledge a 20A battery does 20A and anything over that is unsafe..

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
So I was just at a local B&M trying to buy an 18650 and asked if they carried LG HG2s and was told "No, we only carry Sony VTC4s because they're safer." And to that I responded "How is a 20A VTC4 safer than a 20A HG2?" And I was told "The VTC4s are 30A after 2 seconds and 60A after 4 seconds and the HG2s are not, and we only carry the safest batteries for our unregulated customers."
Is there any truth behind this statement? To my knowledge a 20A battery does 20A and anything over that is unsafe..

While not 100% correct they're not 100% wrong, I don't know the figures off the top of my head but they were trying to explain the difference between continuous and pulse rating. I'll let one of the battery guru's come in here and iron out all the specifics.

Reactions: Susan~S

Romano Cheese

Master Mod Womper
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA

When battery safety is in question tag @Mooch

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville

Are you using it for a mech mod ?
What ohm coil do you use ?

Reactions: Susan~S

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida

While the explanation is ridiculous, on many levels, the VTC4 is actually an excellent battery. Personally, I use LGHG2s, but I have used Sonys in the past.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
If you hold the button for 10 seconds and use jumper cables it will recharge your car! :)
It can do 60amp pulse I suppose but I'd love for them to test this in theory on a continuous load.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville

Well the vtc4 is 30 amp Sony US18650VTC4 2100mAh
Do you need a 30 amp battery ?

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
While neither is a "true" 30-amp battery, the VTC4 may be considered slightly "safer." Neither battery received a passing grade in @Mooch's bench test at 30 amps, but while the LG received a "fail" grade, the Sony got by with a "caution." All this means is that, while it still got rather hot, the Sony did not reach the 100C (212F) temperature required for a "fail" grade. You will, however, still experience battery degradation and reduced lifespan with the Sony, if taken above 20 amps. It just won't boil water in your pocket.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
While neither is a "true" 30-amp battery, the VTC4 may be considered slightly "safer." Neither battery received a passing grade in @Mooch's bench test at 30 amps, but while the LG received a "fail" grade, the Sony got by with a "caution." All this means is that, while it still got rather hot, the Sony did not reach the 100C (212F) temperature required for a "fail" grade. You will, however, still experience battery degradation and reduced lifespan with the Sony, if taken above 20 amps. It just won't boil water in your pocket.
HG2's aren't even in the same ballpark LG 18650HB6 1500mAh 30A

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015

While the VTC4 does run a few degrees cooler than the HG2 during high-amp discharges, and is perhaps technically safer because of that, the HG2 is by no means unsafe. Both can be pulsed at up to 60A (5s on/30s off) without exceeding my 100°C safety limit, but the voltage is pretty low past 45A or so.

The HG2 gives you longer vaping time at any current level though and I don't hesitate for a second to recommend it for anything under about 75W (per battery). I do like the VTC4 and HB4 for unregulated/mech mods though due to their lower operating temperatures. But I use HG2's in my own mech. I just won't recommend that to others because I don't know how they will be used.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 16, 2013
    alabama

Just curious did you get to the point of finding the price of the Sony batteries? Where I'm at they are just way over priced so I have been buying LG HE2's, the HG's are just now really showing up locally and the HE's are starting to disappear. The thing is the HG's are still quite a bit cheaper than the VTC's, I have no problem buying good batteries but I'm not for being ripped off in the process. VTC's here $15 a piece plus tax, HE's and HG's are 18 to 20 a pair plus tax.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
    Jun 9, 2015
    Texas
    I use the HG2's in my parallel mod and the run time is awesome. I still prefer the VTC4's in my series mods though. I put the LG's in my iPV4 and chain vaped @ 80W (6.3V, .5 ohms, 14 wrap dual N80's @ 1/4" ID. Pretty heavy load for one of my vapes.) for 2 minutes, 5 or 6 second pulls with less than 10 seconds rest between and they got noticeably warm (but not "hot") to the touch. The Sonys barely got above room temperature. I didn't use a thermometer to test actual temps, but my sense of touch tells me the VTC4's handled the load better.

As far as prices, $15/ea for VTC's and $10/ea for LG's at a B&M is about average. I had the misfortune of buying some fakes once and stopped buying batteries from B&M's. They are a LOT cheaper online and there are several reputable vendors to choose from to avoid the fakes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread