bad coil? dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneralTrue

Sep 13, 2014
Netherlands
Oke so i got a new e-cig because i want to smoke inside in the evening and night because of my ocd with checking the doors and locks.

Now the e-cig kept starting to blink 3 times after 15 minuts of use so i could not get it to work...

After trying allot of stuff i tried cleaning the coil and there was this glue like stuff in the inside that i pulled out together with some hair...

I THINK i found out it was some kind of cotten needed for it to burn...

So i decided to put some cotten in from my pillow and pushed it in with a small needle...I hardly got anything in but the coil seemed a little disformed so i fixed it so it was looking normal again...Although there is hardly any cotten in it does burn and work again.

But it burned like very hard and now i am afraid its dangerous to use and that it will explode in my face or something...

Is the cotten really needed? do i need to pull out the glue stuff? Should the rubber ring be all the way on the top?

Please help me on this..I dont know the brand of the e-cig as it just does not say and there is no manuel...Thanks in advance for reading.

DejaEntendu

Aug 3, 2014
Indiana
At this point, you should absolutely not use that coil anymore. The cotton from your pillow has all kinds of plastic and chemicals in it and is no doubt being inhaled everytime you take a puff. Not to mention, it's probably not safe to heat that kind of material to the temperature coils reach.

As far as the cotton that was already around the coil, yes it's needed. That's what is called wicking material. This is what holds the liquid that the coil will vaporize.

GeneralTrue

Sep 13, 2014
Netherlands
It does not have a name on the e-cig and there is no manuel with it...I bought a new coil and the man in the tobacco store put it in and its working again...But the strange thing is...The cotton like stuff in the coil..I never touched it...All that happend was the man in the store put the liquid in and i charged it extra to be sure and smoked for 15 minuts with it...Then at some point it kept flashing blue 3 times everytime i clicked once on it...It did not turn off...Charging did not help as it was already full, So i opened it and adjusted the ring more to the top and it worked for 10 minuts again and then it happend again! That is when i pulled all the cotton out and put pillow cotton in it...It worked again but it kept leaking so i waited until today to go to the store and the man fixed it with a new coil..Mabye the coil was already bad in the beginning i dont know...What does it mean when the blue light flashes 3 times when you press it once?

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
The head might also be a GS-H2. (Which are pretty good, IMHO).
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1594202

Make sure you don't screw the head on too tightly, or you will wind up loosening the coil. Sounds to me like you had a bad connection between the head and the battery. Also, if you have that problem again, try tightening the coil down again in the head (take the head off, tighten the coil down, then put it back on; don't try to tighten it while it's on the battery).

athousandyears

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Texas
Good deal! The coil will need to be changed periodically. The liquid will start to gunk up the coil over time which will produce a weak or burnt tasting vapor. When it starts to taste bad or not work to your satisfaction, it's time to replace the coil. You can prolong the life a bit by rinsing the coil in hot water every few tankfuls. Make sure to let it dry pretty well before reinserting it. Another reason to have spares is so that while one is drying, you can swap them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread