Baltimore, MD - Indoor Use Ban & retail placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
Lest your opponents delude themselves that they can get away with whatever nonsense they may be peddling.

Right, and it goes without saying that the acceptable level of confrontation is directly proportional to the amount of intellectually dishonest (or just dishonest, as the case may be) drivel being spewed forth by your interlocutor. I disagree in the most fervent terms with those who suggest that civility and politeness demand a certain number of lies be allowed to go unchallenged for the sake of good manners. If you don't want your lies challenged, don't base your argument on lies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009

Looney Bin

Jul 25, 2014
In the asylum
Baltimore City Council to hold second public hearing on proposed vaping ban on Nov 5 (tomorrow) at 1PM.
Baltimore City bill to ban vaping wherever smoking is prohibited is set for a second public hearing on Nov. 5. - citypaper.com

CASAA updates Baltimore Call to Action opposing proposed vaping ban
CASAA: Call to Action Baltimore, MD - Indoor Use Ban

It would be very very helpful if Baltimore vapers and vape shop owner testify at tomorrow's hearing.

How long do these types of hearings take? I'm trying to see if I can get out of work for a bit to show up.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
I've been informed that an amended version of the bill was approved by the City Council committee to allow vaping in bars and restaurants (if the owner wants to allow vaping and posts signs saying that vaping is allowed), and that the full Baltimore City Council is scheduled to vote on the amended bill Monday.

But am trying to get a copy of the amended bill.

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Baltimore City Council recommends bill to ban vaping in workplaces and public places with amendment to exempt vape shops, and bars/restaurants that post signs saying vaping is allowed
http://legistar.baltimorecitycouncil.com/detailreport/?key=6204

Since just one council member voted against the bill last night, It appears that next week the Baltimore City Council will give final approval to this bill and amendment (to exempt vape shops, and bars/restaurants that post signs). This was a legislative deal that was agreed upon by several key council members following last month's public hearing on the bill.

This is the first law to ban vaping in all workplaces, except for vape shops and bars/restaurants that post signs saying vaping is allowed.
The amendment to the bill is still not on the City Council's website, although I and others have a copy.

Last week, the MD American Heart Association and MD GASP sent out Calls to Action urging their ANTZ allies to contact City Council members urging them to oppose the exemption for bars and restaurants. But the council overwhelming approved the amendments to the bill last night.

If/when this bill is approved (haven't heard any response from the Mayor to the amendment, but the Health Commissioner wanted vaping banned everywhere)
vaping advocates should contact many/most/all bars and restaurants in Baltimore urging them to allow vaping and to post signs that say so (as there may be a time limit for obtaining the exemption).

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
CASAA update its Call to Action on the Baltimore bill several days ago (before the City Council approved the 2nd reading of the bill with an amendment to exempt vape shops, bars and restaurants that post signs.
CASAA: Call to Action Baltimore, MD - Indoor Use Ban

Surprised that nobody has commented on this new development (to exempt bars and restaurants), which is a first for vaping bans.

If vaping is permitted in restaurants and bars, I cannot imagine the Baltimore Health Dept trying to enforce the ban against other workplaces.

What I find truly amazing is more cities continue jumping on the vaping ban wagon despite virtually no enforcement of existing bans in the 3 states (NJ, ND, UT) and dozens of cities (including Seattle/King County, Boston, Indy, New York, Chicago, LA, San Francisco, San Diego, Philly) that banned vaping in workplaces.

I cannot recall any other type of laws that have been widely enacted with no enforcement, and with no attempt to enforce. Then again, vaping bans are extremely difficult if not impossible to enforce.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
I cannot recall any other type of laws that have been widely enacted with no enforcement, and with no attempt to enforce.

Every coastal city in San Diego County prohibits smoking at the beach, but in the 15 or so years since such ordinances were first enacted, I have never witnessed (or even heard of) any attempt at enforcement. People smoke at the beach just the same as they always did; the cops don't care, the lifeguards don't care, the other beachgoers don't care.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread