Batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoitzo

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Cali, US
i was going to respond "no. never" but I just realized that's a lie. When I first bought my provari, the store only had Ultrafires and those are not aw imrs. I keep it as a back up, just in case I run out of batteries esp. on days I'm out of the house at 5am and don't come back until 10pm. According to the battery it's a XSL 18350 1200mAh 3.7v. *shrug* I just picked up a extension cap and a aw imr 18490 so I'll keep that one at home, just in case. ^^;;

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Does anyone use batteries other than aw imr suggested in the Provari?

I've rotated between AW IMR 18490 and AW IC 18500 for about the last 18 Months. The Only difference I see is the AW 18500's last a tad Longer.

BUT... I vape in the 2.8~3.0 ohms @ 3.8~4.3 volt range.

So I'm not drawing that many Amps.

YMMV

SimboSlice

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Chicago
i got xsl ultrafire 18650's for pretty cheap, been using for a couple of days and so far no problems

i was going to respond "no. never" but I just realized that's a lie. When I first bought my provari, the store only had Ultrafires and those are not aw imrs. I keep it as a back up, just in case I run out of batteries esp. on days I'm out of the house at 5am and don't come back until 10pm. According to the battery it's a XSL 18350 1200mAh 3.7v. *shrug* I just picked up a extension cap and a aw imr 18490 so I'll keep that one at home, just in case. ^^;;

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Does anyone use batteries other than aw imr suggested in the Provari?

IMR yes
AW brand.....up to you

The point is not to used protected cells in a VV device. Can't deliver the demands on voltage. You CAN use protecteds in their Provape-1 product, since it is 3.7 device and no VV. BTW, nice little device.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
I use AW IMR's, and some older 18650 "ProVari Power" batteries 2500 mAh 3.7v Li-ion, which oddly enough, are protected batteries. I'd say they were made for the ProVape 1 except for the fact that they clearly have the word ProVari on them. They work well enough, but when they die, I will switch over to AW IMR's full time.

EDIT: Those batteries came with the used V1 ProVari I bought off of the classifieds, and originally came from ProVape. They no longer recommend or sell the "ProVari Power" batteries.

Last edited:

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
If you use anything other than a AW IMR battery you just voided your warrenty. After seeing your post I just realized that the only batteries I got for my mods are the AW brand IMR. (boss gave me some protected 18490's but never used em yet so can't say. I only go with what the manufactor says).

eratikmind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Las Vegas/San Francisco
Not sure about voiding your warranty. Last Friday, when I received my provari mini from provape, there was a small note stating that the aw imr batteries should used. Hmmm . . . Now, I need to find that note. It was on a piece of yellow paper.

ETA: the note said l . . . Warning. This device uses a single battery! Use only the approved AW IMR redd high drain battery in this device.

Last edited:

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Provape only recommends AW. As long as IMRs are used your warranty is fine. Provapes says that they have only tested their products using AW batteries, that's why they can only recommend that brand. Now, AW is just a brand of IMR batteries and most likely uses the same cells that other brands use.

AW is not even a brand. What I've been able to find out is that "AW" is or was a member of the Candle Power Forum, who started buying high quality Panasonic batteries and testing them. AW obviously doesn't manufacture anything himself, but we've come to trust that he always has sourced good quality cells with consistent performance and excellent safety record. The batteries that pass his PCB test get the AW heatshrink label and sticker. He has a reputation for only marking the best batteries with the AW label, but the batteries are just Panasonic batteries, nothing more and nothing less. They are just the best of the best of the Panasonic batteries.

I do not know if this is 100% true, but I've read it before on several of the flashlight forums.

b0redagain

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2011
Denver, CO
AW is not even a brand. What I've been able to find out is that "AW" is or was a member of the Candle Power Forum, who started buying high quality Panasonic batteries and testing them. AW obviously doesn't manufacture anything himself, but we've come to trust that he always has sourced good quality cells with consistent performance and excellent safety record. The batteries that pass his PCB test get the AW heatshrink label and sticker. He has a reputation for only marking the best batteries with the AW label, but the batteries are just Panasonic batteries, nothing more and nothing less. They are just the best of the best of the Panasonic batteries.

I do not know if this is 100% true, but I've read it before on several of the flashlight forums.

So he puts his brand on it. Still holds true that these cells get used by other brands. Either way...I trust AW, Panasonic, and Efest as high quality cells.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've searched and reviewed the Provape website concerning batteries. From what I read, they do in fact recommend only using AW brand IMR's. But using some other brand will not actually void the warranty. What WILL void the warranty is if you use magnets in order to use flat top batteries in the Provari.

If anyone can prove this wrong, please document where you find your information.

I use AW brand, IMR batteries in ALL of my mods, variable voltage and mechanical mods. They are a safer battery than protected batteries in either class of APV by the simple fact that they use a safer chemistry. Having had a protected battery vent in thermal runaway in a mechanical mod changed my view of protected batteries forever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread