Battery best practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadR

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2011
Omaha, NE
Has Morandir or one of the other battery numbers people ever put together a list of best practices for extending the life of your battery? I know I shouldn't let it run down all the way, and that lithium ion batteries are best stored at abot 40%, but what about overnight charging? Or leaving batteries on the charger so that they are available when I need them? Does it really hurt them to be stored fully charged? I would hate to have all my batteries be at 40% all the time.....

Thanks in advance for any help.

krazie_Kid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2010
Long Island
www.vapor4life.com
Chad,

Personally I use 1 XL all day, it does not die, and when I notice a decereced power (As in not enough flavor) I charge that sucker up, and I leave it on over night. Morandir said, I believe "8-10 hours is fine to leave a battery on, anything longer will shorten its life" I am not sure if it was 10 or 12 though. I usually leave mine on for about 10 hours

Morandir835

Idiot Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Outside DC
ChadR sir depends on the batt and what charger used. The usb charger is by all means the most deadly to batts (especuially the auto king diamond and stealth series), and shouldn't be used at all with the new kd and stealth manuals. The wall charger can be just as dangerous to the new batts as well, but on the older batts 12 hours is the max. After 12 hours the off load (ol) voltage on a vapor king manual is 4.25v from the wall charger, a little higher than you want but not too bad. The slim line does the best for overnight charging. On a vapor king batt haven't seen any higher than 4.22v ol and that was after 14 hours. King diamond and stealth lines are a slightly different story. Placed two on last night at 11pm, took them off at 8:30 (9 1/2 hours) the voltage was 4.24v. Highest I've seen one come off at ol is 4.25v from the slim line and that was after 11 hours.

As for the storage charge all depends on how long you're storing them sir. I have a grand total of 31 batts currently and they all are stored fully charged, but they get used at least once a week so it's not long term. If you're not planning on using a batt for over a month then would suggest storing them around 40-50% charge, but short term no need to worry. Hope this helps. :)

SnowDragon

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Boise, Idaho
There have been many studies that show the bulk of nicotine absorption from vaping is in the mouth and throat. Unlike analogs where absorption takes place in the lungs, absorption from vaping occurs at a much slower rate. So if it does seem like you are vaping more....you probably are..but you are still receiving the same amount of nicotine. When it comes to nicotine addiction our bodies do a pretty good job of self-regulating.

ChadR

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2011
Omaha, NE
This is great info, thank you all.

Morandir, you said "The usb charger is by all means the most deadly to batts (especuially the auto king diamond and stealth series), and shouldn't be used at all with the new kd and stealth manuals."
Have you experimented to see if it matters what the usb is plugged into? PC vs USB wall adapter vs car charger?
I'll probably still need to use it, but I guess i should try to limit its use to my regular vapor kings, and protect my shiny new King Diamond Manual.

Morandir835

Idiot Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Outside DC
Ms. KimberlyM the slim line is the safest to use with any of the batts. Still don't suggest leaving a batt on the charger longer than 12 hours with them, but it's less dangerous than the others.

ChadR sir doesn't matter what the source is, whether it's a 2a wall adapter or a 300ma usb port (minimum needed to power the charger) it will still overcharge at the same rate. Hoping V4L updates the usb to the new standards of the slim line because it's the most portable of all the chargers (carry one with me at all times when out and about), but I won't put the manual kd's and stealths at risk using it.

krazie_Kid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2010
Long Island
www.vapor4life.com
Well ..it helped me again :) thanks Morandir !
@kk...one xl lasts you all day ???? thats incredible .I go thru 3 ,but I'm following M's advice do not let them fully discharge.

@Jess, Yeah one lasts me all day and it is glued to my hand all day. I follow Morandir's advice and don't let it die either.

I think i am vaping more then i think ..i rotate juices most days and drip to top off so i have no way of judging how much i.m going thru ,maybe 2mls .But i'm still not getting more nic then a pack of smokes right ?

2ml's is equal to two packs of cigarette's I herd.

plarkinjr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2011
Texas
www.facebook.com
... If you're not planning on using a batt for over a month then would suggest storing them around 40-50% charge, but short term no need to worry. Hope this helps. :)

What values displayed on a multimeter would indicate 50% charge? (or near death or fully charged for that matter)?

ThankU4Vaping

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2010
NJ
@Jess, Yeah one lasts me all day and it is glued to my hand all day. I follow Morandir's advice and don't let it die either.

My PV is glued to my hand too, and I go through 4 manual XLs a day using wow cartos. I try to replace them before the LED blinking starts. Although I get 8 hours out of a brand new manual XL, it dips down to 4-6 hours after a couple of weeks of daily use.

I don't agree with 2ml=2 packs. This may vary per individual or per 'vendor's claim'. I think (IMO) that 1ml = 10-12 analogs.
I used to smoke 12-15 analogs per day. The times I've charted my juice consumption using 1ml syringe-fed blank cartos (pre-filleds too) and never topping-off, I consumed 2.25ml of 18mg nic juice per day average. This might only make sense to me, and is not scientific in any way, shape, or form!
:2cool:

Clover~

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2010
South Dakota
Chad,

Personally I use 1 XL all day, it does not die, and when I notice a decereced power (As in not enough flavor) I charge that sucker up, and I leave it on over night. Morandir said, I believe "8-10 hours is fine to leave a battery on, anything longer will shorten its life" I am not sure if it was 10 or 12 though. I usually leave mine on for about 10 hours

No way just one XL would last me all day. I vape all day long and I go through 3-4 batteries a day.

plarkinjr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2011
Texas
www.facebook.com
...Easiest way is to just vape them for around half the time you usually do then store. ...

Hahaha!!!! I'm too ADD to stick with one long enuff to know how long they usually last. I hope that will change with experience.

Thanks for the info!

ETA: with shorties, I often end up deep cycling them :oops: and I hope that will happen less often. Already, what I do is when I finish a carto (or just cap it off cuz I'm tired of it for the day), the battery it was on goes onto a charger.

Last edited:

krazie_Kid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2010
Long Island
www.vapor4life.com
My PV is glued to my hand too, and I go through 4 manual XLs a day using wow cartos. I try to replace them before the LED blinking starts. Although I get 8 hours out of a brand new manual XL, it dips down to 4-6 hours after a couple of weeks of daily use.

I don't agree with 2ml=2 packs. This may vary per individual or per 'vendor's claim'. I think (IMO) that 1ml = 10-12 analogs.
I used to smoke 12-15 analogs per day. The times I've charted my juice consumption using 1ml syringe-fed blank cartos (pre-filleds too) and never topping-off, I consumed 2.25ml of 18mg nic juice per day average. This might only make sense to me, and is not scientific in any way, shape, or form!
:2cool:

I use cool cart's and as the study showed for the XL diamond's, the cool's get longer vaping time then wow cart's, so maybe that is why? Idk if that is why exactly though. And I usually use about 2ml's a day, or so. Idk how you guy's go though so many XL's, cause I use mine all day when I am off work, and it lasts till like 2am or so, but I get up at 1030am

No way just one XL would last me all day. I vape all day long and I go through 3-4 batteries a day.

I do vape all day too, and I use cool carts. I do not go for more then an hour without vaping when I am off

How can 1 battery last all day??? I am constantly charging regulars - when one has finished charging the other is ready to recharge. And with shorties, I'm getting through 1 in about an hour in the evenings.

Yeah Regular's have less mAh then the XL's dear Katz, I wish I had extra XL's I would send you one or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread